My First Grow Journal - DWC - 90W LED UFO

Looks like this is going to turn out to be a good grow! I couldn't help but be like "damnnn look at that stretch" but you moved your lights closer so everything will be fine. Subbed.

~Psycho

i couldnt agree more. i noticed the node spacing is very far apart, the stems seem pretty thin and lanky for how old the plant is, even if it is a sativa.

Id try to do like Psycho says and get some more CFL's in there. if not, try to get the lights closer. i know you said you already moved them but your stems and stalks would beef up and your node spacing would be closer (resulting in a stronger plant).

But they do look healthy as all so keep up the good work man peace!

Looks like this is going to turn out to be a good grow! I couldn't help but be like "damnnn look at that stretch" but you moved your lights closer so everything will be fine. Subbed.

~Psycho

i couldnt agree more. i noticed the node spacing is very far apart, the stems seem pretty thin and lanky for how old the plant is, even if it is a sativa.

Id try to do like Psycho says and get some more CFL's in there. if not, try to get the lights closer. i know you said you already moved them but your stems and stalks would beef up and your node spacing would be closer (resulting in a stronger plant).

But they do look healthy as all so keep up the good work man peace!

Psycho and ilikebike thanks for your input I moved my lights closer but certainly I need to use more CFL. The LED I'm using is good but not enough for 4 buckets/plants. Definitely I'll get more CFLs at this stage.

Another thing that happened after cleaning all my stuff and setup my DWC system again, after a few days the water started smelling funky again and the ph went from 5.9 to 7.4. I think the Superthrive has something to do with... I feel a very particular smell. Next time I will not use ST.

What's next? I will throw away the water and clean my stuff again, I will buy more CFLs and draw near the lights.

Have anyone past through this? Or know someone with the same problems?

Peace

My res is smelly but I only notice it when the covers are off the empty net pots (which never happens unless I'm checking the roots.) What's the temp of your res? How's your O2? Tons of bubbles or little? Now I'm not sure if these two things will play any factor at all in the smell of your res, but just thowing it out there. My opinion though, if it's not broke don't fix it. Other than the very small stretch which you have already corrected, they look great!

Subbed:cheesygrinsmiley: I used AN jungle juice and dwc with all of my grows if you wanted to check them out. I think the smell must be the superthrive, Ive never smelt the "pond" smell. Did you make sure to shake the bottle well before using? Also if you end up liking the jungle juice you should try their new 2-part version, I personally like it alot better vs the 3-part. I would also recommend getting a hps for flowering, I think a dimmable 600w hps with a proper hood would be good for your space as long as you could keep the temps down. I personally run a 400w setup in a large vented hood, and dimmed down to 200w it puts out some good light and can be kept close to the canopy because its not putting out much heat. Imo it does just as good as a larger wattage light kept farther away. And as the canopy gets bigger you can increase the wattage and raise the light accordingly. Also if you're not already aware res temps are going to be your main issue using non insulated buckets. Are you planning on using anything to try and keep the temps down?

My res is smelly but I only notice it when the covers are off the empty net pots (which never happens unless I'm checking the roots.) What's the temp of your res? How's your O2? Tons of bubbles or little? Now I'm not sure if these two things will play any factor at all in the smell of your res, but just thowing it out there. My opinion though, if it's not broke don't fix it. Other than the stretch which you have already corrected, they look great!

Good questions Greensmurf, the res temp is around 19°C - 24°C it depends on the hour of the day. I don´t have O2 right now. Bubbles... I should say little bubbles-medium I have to change my air pump, it was to noisy and my wife was a little bit paranoid with the neighbors.

So it is normal to have a smelly res... hum... I never thought about that. One thing I should to is try to vent more my grow tent I will add a more powerful fan.

Thanks Greensmurf!

I have to admit I have checked my temps in a few days. But been keeping an eye on them and haven't seen any issues. My grow is in a basement and is always cool down there. I have my fan blowing down on the res so it bounces back up at the plants. Keeping the res container cool and giving my plants a little dance!

Subbed:cheesygrinsmiley: I used AN jungle juice and dwc with all of my grows if you wanted to check them out. I think the smell must be the superthrive, Ive never smelt the "pond" smell. Did you make sure to shake the bottle well before using? Also if you end up liking the jungle juice you should try their new 2-part version, I personally like it alot better vs the 3-part. I would also recommend getting a hps for flowering, I think a dimmable 600w hps with a proper hood would be good for your space as long as you could keep the temps down. I personally run a 400w setup in a large vented hood, and dimmed down to 200w it puts out some good light and can be kept close to the canopy because its not putting out much heat. Imo it does just as good as a larger wattage light kept farther away. And as the canopy gets bigger you can increase the wattage and raise the light accordingly. Also if you're not already aware res temps are going to be your main issue using non insulated buckets. Are you planning on using anything to try and keep the temps down?

Hey rdooski thanks for passing by. Maybe I exaggerated with the pond smell, well maybe not, but I couldn´t define the smell.... anyways, I think superthrive is the guilty and I will try next time the nuts without st. I was thinking about getting a hps but now I don´t know, I had to cut my budget and now I just have to deal with what I have (I just have some bucks to buy a few CFLs). Maybe next time. I never thought about using insulated buckets :S I knew that the res temp will go up but not to much due to the LED. What do you suggets to keep temps low?

Hey liquid! I can definitely understand the budget thing and am on a tight one myself. I personally use ice to keep my temps low. I just switch out a frozen water bottle once a day and it works well. Also if you put something in the bottles to weigh them down I found it transfers the cold better then if the bottle floats on the surface. And next round you may look into using a ice chest or cooler for your res, Ive found they work very well.

Hey liquid! I can definitely understand the budget thing and am on a tight one myself. I personally use ice to keep my temps low. I just switch out a frozen water bottle once a day and it works well. Also if you put something in the bottles to weigh them down I found it transfers the cold better then if the bottle floats on the surface. And next round you may look into using a ice chest or cooler for your res, Ive found they work very well.

Speaking of which, today I left the res with the nuts and stuff and move my plants to other place, and of course, i turned off the lights. Seems that the heat is causing the smell thing, like you said
Also if you're not already aware res temps are going to be your main issue using non insulated buckets.
I wasn´t aware of that.

Thanks man, definitely I will try to introduce a frozen water bottle once a day.

I will keep you guys updated.

cool! subbed. this is basically my setup, although im using two led lights, and one large hydro bucket (with four plants in soil)

i can tell you LED lights work just fine. you can look at my past journal to see a completed harvest with some garbage bag seeds. =] or just see for yourself! ill let you know if i have any tips but looks like youre getting a good start

will be keeping an eye on this one.

Cut a 2 liter bottle top off. Fill and freeze you'll have one giant ice cube. Lol I'm not using ice but it could work or refrigerate you topoff water before use

Update: Day 16

Well, now everything is right on track. My little plants have touched the nuts and the roots have started to grow. :D
I have added homemade CO2. My little plats are doing good, just one seems that had some problems, the leafs turned a little bit yellow,like a burn. But now seems that it´s getting better. I will change my res the next weekend. I expect that during the next week I´ll see some real growth. Let´s see what happen.

Here are some pics.
IMG_50912.JPG
IMG_51122.JPG

This is the plant tha had some problems
IMG_51172.JPG
IMG_51151.JPG

IMG_51151.JPG

These are the other healthy plants
IMG_5123.JPG
IMG_51242.JPG
IMG_5125.JPG
IMG_51302.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG
IMG_51321.JPG
IMG_51362.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG

This is my homemade CO2 system :D
IMG_5139.JPG

nice, i made a similar co2 system myself once. now i just use GreenPads though. no yeasty smell, no mess, no tubing to worry about.. just hang it and let it produce =] its a little more money though, you can get a pack of 5 for 25 bucks and that will last you 5 weeks.

nice, i made a similar co2 system myself once. now i just use GreenPads though. no yeasty smell, no mess, no tubing to worry about.. just hang it and let it produce =] its a little more money though, you can get a pack of 5 for 25 bucks and that will last you 5 weeks.

Yeah does kind of systems sucks! lol a lot of mess. I will look for the GreenPads (y)

Update: day 19

So far so good, 3 out of 4 plants looks really good, just 1 has a little burn in the leaves.
This weekend I will be changing my res.

I have been thing about what I want to do with my growing, and to be honest I want to grow biiiig buds. :D Thinking about this I have decided to buy a 600w HPS and still thinking if I want to keep a perpetual growing. I will buy my new lamp in a few weeks, when my plants grow more and have more branches.

Any advice guys about HPS brands? precautions? and other stuff? Thanks

IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_51733.JPG
IMG_51721.JPG
IMG_5171.JPG

i own Lumatek digital dimable ballasts, they can power either a metal halide or high pressure sodium light bulbs. unless you get a package deal i would get light bulbs from 1000bulbs.com, they carry many brands and wattages of bulbs.

i own Lumatek digital dimable ballasts, they can power either a metal halide or high pressure sodium light bulbs. unless you get a package deal i would get light bulbs from 1000bulbs.com, they carry many brands and wattages of bulbs.

Thanks KingJohnC I will check the website. What kind of wattage do you recomend for a grow tent 4´x4´x6´? I was thinking that a 600w it´s ok, but still don´t know.

Back
Top Bottom