My LEDs are killing my plants!

I cooked some leaves when I first got my LED panels , thinking I could put them at a 8" distance to little seedlings was a mistake on my part.

Once the plants are acclimatized to the led (10-14 days) you can run them lower until then they need at least two feet.
when I have my LED's lower then 12" the new leaves come in twisted , malformed green yet obviously missing something.

I also think that when the LED panels are too close they cause explosive growth on the tops that the plants root system cannot keep up to.

" due to the reverse square law. "

I think you mean the INverse square law. Intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

Either way, i dont think that law account for led's with lenses. Its possible that youre getting acceptable par at that height and that as plants acclimate you can narrow the gap

Update:

Inverse Square is was I meant. Spell correct changed it.
Thought I could get away with dropping the light 6" but was wrong with these 80x5w LEDs. 2ft was still too close after all this time.
The LED compared to their sister plants on the right under a close 400w MH. All cloned at the same time from the same mother.
The plants original 2 strains under these LEDs are almost caught back up with the rest in the room.
Been looking at lots of journals of people with same lights and issues. Most thinking they have some immediate nute deficiency the LEDs are causing. I have seen the par readings on these lights here and they are about the same as a 400w MH (icemud) so I know its not too intense.
Im about ready to scrap this side grow. My goal is to have 24x48x42 one plant scrog cabinets (LED). Perhaps I need a different brand that has things right. Considering getting the 144x3W to see if that works better but after this, Im not sure about the brand.

mars41.jpg

mars23.jpg

mars31.jpg

mars11.jpg

your plants are seriously stretched out and sparse , Something is going on beyond the LED's fault.
the LED's may be to powerful (any LED panel) for your light starved unhealthy plants.
It doesn't matter what light you were using on them , either its bulb is no longer good or its your technique.

i am also noticing some nitrogen toxicity / over fertilizing

Update:

Thought I could get away with dropping the light 6" but was wrong with these 80x5w LEDs. 2ft was still too close after all this time.
The LED compared to their sister plants on the right under a close 400w MH. All cloned at the same time from the same mother.
The plants original 2 strains under these LEDs are almost caught back up with the rest in the room.
Been looking at lots of journals of people with same lights and issues. Most thinking they have some immediate nute deficiency the LEDs are causing. I have seen the par readings on these lights here and they are about the same as a 400w MH (icemud) so I know its not too intense.
Im about ready to scrap this side grow. My goal is to have 24x48x42 one plant scrog cabinets (LED). Perhaps I need a different brand that has things right. Considering getting the 144x3W to see if that works better but after this, Im not sure about the brand.

mars41.jpg

mars23.jpg

mars31.jpg

mars11.jpg

You have Cal Mag deficiency! I can tell from the pictures. Many say you have to supplement with CalMag for LED grows. I think I'm starting to believe them.

Definitely a cal/mag deficiency the cupping the start on the bottom leaves it happens often when using led.

Nobody has clearly figured out why it happens. Some speculate its the increase in the red spectrum that most leds provide.

What a sad little man and so angry, its a shame he has a video camera.
He obviously excels at ranting but does not know how to ask for help.

Why does he not raise the little plant onto a stand ? its a clear example of his incompetence.
Quote from video "I wish my plant was closer to the light" ( he wishes)

He seems to know little but talk lots.

Hello Terp, it might be the Cal, Mag difficiency problem. Plants will need them badly under the LED growing. Also, please keep the PH around 6~6.5. Hope this helps.
Update:

mars41.jpg

mars23.jpg

mars31.jpg

mars11.jpg

These new LED panels like you have are intense. I moved some dwarf cherry tomatoes under a P300 and I gradually moved the light down to about 12 inches and they didn’t like it. The plants curled into themselves like they were trying to pull away from the light. I moved the light up to 24 inches and they came back like they were under the 400 watt MH. Once the plants are under the lights for a week or two you can drop the light a bit. The sweet spots seems to be 18-24 inches and even 30 inches if you want to spread out the light more.

LOL at this guy. "I won't accept any other explanation other than that these LEDs are just horrible growing cannabis.." Sounds like this guy is a chump and I would love to bring him over to my garden and smack him.

Has anyone ever seen that frat life video? I'm pretty sure that's the guy. "Yeah I'm in a frat. kids say i'm the shit." :laughtwo:

LED's can't grow weed he says..

LED Lights work.

Day 37 (from seed) for these 2 Jock horror's sitting pretty in their 14" terra cotta pots.

P3130099.JPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am using two Mars Hydro LED panels with a draw of 400w combined , in a 2x4x6 cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ice day 40, 12/12, 27 days veg, 185 watt DS-200 at 22 inchs.. despite it's small size it has done much better than i expected... The plant stretched so much I switched the led for a ss315lec cmh at this point for more light into the canopy...

IMG_28709.JPG

IMG_28718.JPG

I think if you had waited 3 or 4 more days the plants would have recovered...

I never said LEDs cant grow weed.
These blurple ones seem to just be really sucky at it.
Since starting this thread, I have educated myself more on LEDs and decided to start building my own.
I have built 3 LED lights using Cree CXB series COBs (3070 abd 3590) 3000k and 3500K. Each one I build is putting out over 1200 PPFD.
Tell me what PPFD and efficiency your blurple lights are putting out for you? ( I could use a laugh)
My new builds are killing my old HPS lights ( efficiency and growing ) and Im not having any problem with them.
The blurple lights from this thread have since become a door stop for the person I gave them too.

Ice day 40, 12/12, 27 days veg, 185 watt DS-200 at 22 inchs.. despite it's small size it has done much better than i expected... The plant stretched so much I switched the led for a ss315lec cmh at this point for more light into the canopy...

I find the plants stretch up to the lights if you have them up 2ft. If you lower them to 1ft the plants will be squat like the two in the photo I posted. I grew those with the lights at 12" then recently moved the lights to 16" to encourage some stretching. They are responding and have started to stretch upwards.

Back
Top Bottom