My Stardawg doesn't smell gassy?

celticlyle

Hey guys i recently finished up a successful grow with 3 stardawg girls from a company called "Candy seeds".
During the whole grow I was never satisfied as it was never really that terpy. I flushed and dried it correctly and it now been curing in jars for a week. I am planning on doing a month or 2 cure. Has anyone grown a really gassy strain before like stardawg and at what stage does this smell come along. I was hoping for some really fuely diesely gassy bud.. this stuff smells like earth with a hint of pine. Hopefully time in the jar releases some terps from within... Currently all curing in jars at arounf 63-64% RH @17.c in the dark. I'm guessing that the genetics are just crap.

Hey guys i recently finished up a successful grow with 3 stardawg girls from a company called "Candy seeds".
During the whole grow I was never satisfied as it was never really that terpy. I flushed and dried it correctly and it now been curing in jars for a week. I am planning on doing a month or 2 cure. Has anyone grown a really gassy strain before like stardawg and at what stage does this smell come along. I was hoping for some really fuely diesely gassy bud.. this stuff smells like earth with a hint of pine. Hopefully time in the jar releases some terps from within... Currently all curing in jars at arounf 63-64% RH @17.c in the dark. I'm guessing that the genetics are just crap.
If she didn't smell before, curing won't make it smell more. What ever turpines were in her should smell before hand. If she wasn't a stinky strain to begin with curing won't increase it. Curing takes the grassy smell and taste from buds.
Sorry but its prob genetics. Try a different strain from one of our sponsors.

If she didn't smell before, curing won't make it smell more. What ever turpines were in her should smell before hand. If she wasn't a stinky strain to begin with curing won't increase it. Curing takes the grassy smell and taste from buds.
Sorry but its prob genetics. Try a different strain from one of our sponsors.
Hey man thanks very much for your reply. This is very unfortunate.. I ended up with quite a lot and the Buds are dense and absolutely drenched in THC. It smells more like earthy pine ,not unpleasant but nothing like the Gassy genetics I'm used to. Smells more like a standard AK or Kush strain. If I break the buds they do have a lot more of a nicer smell but like you say it should be stinking by now 1 week into the curing process.
Quite annoyed as I bought these "stardawg seeds" from Candy seeds based in the Uk advertised as absaloute crem de la crem of the stardawg world.. which could not be further from the truth haha.
lesson learned I am currently running some photo "runtz muffins" from Barneys farm and also 4 autos in another set up which are supposidly cali genetics from fastbuds of which are stardawg and jack herrar. Also got a freebie Bluetooth Auto so all 4 will be getting popped too. Hopefully This was a lesson learned 1 off :eye-roll::eye-roll:

Just my 2 cents, I grew a Gorilla Glue auto last year that had a really strong pungent diesel/fuel smell and it was smelling like that for weeks before harvesting.

I have never had Stardawg but I have read great things about that strain. My background is that seeds are often hard to come by, and when it came to trying to score bud you were lucky to get whatever dubious un-named bud that was available. So in saying that, from my perspective I wouldn't be too hasty in dismissing the seeds/plants that you've grown. I had a good explanation of this that unfortunately I lost when our last computer went kaput. So from memory I understood that a lot of the grassy smell is chlorophyll being released/breaking down, and while it is going thru that process it can overwhelm and dominate the drying plant's natural terpy smell i.e. it just smells grassy, and after it has been released then you can find the terpy smell becomes the dominant smell. That's along the lines I remember but I could easily be wrong. To me, when you smoke/vape the bud if it does a good job then that's the main thing. Hopefully you'll find the grassy smell reduces to nothing as it cures and the underlying natural terpy smell then comes through.

Back to the GGa I mentioned growing above, I had never smelt such a pungent diesel/fuel smell before, and someone else on here was also growing GG autos from a different seed bank, I mentioned the smell coming from mine, at first he was surprised as his didn't but only when he stuck his nose right into his GGa plants then he could smell the diesel/fuel, whereas my single plant on the balcony was stinking the house out with it's smell. Hopefully what you have still turns out to be a really nice smoke!

Just my 2 cents, I grew a Gorilla Glue auto last year that had a really strong pungent diesel/fuel smell and it was smelling like that for weeks before harvesting.

I have never had Stardawg but I have read great things about that strain. My background is that seeds are often hard to come by, and when it came to trying to score bud you were lucky to get whatever dubious un-named bud that was available. So in saying that, from my perspective I wouldn't be too hasty in dismissing the seeds/plants that you've grown. I had a good explanation of this that unfortunately I lost when our last computer went kaput. So from memory I understood that a lot of the grassy smell is chlorophyll being released/breaking down, and while it is going thru that process it can overwhelm and dominate the drying plant's natural terpy smell i.e. it just smells grassy, and after it has been released then you can find the terpy smell becomes the dominant smell. That's along the lines I remember but I could easily be wrong. To me, when you smoke/vape the bud if it does a good job then that's the main thing. Hopefully you'll find the grassy smell reduces to nothing as it cures and the underlying natural terpy smell then comes through.

Back to the GGa I mentioned growing above, I had never smelt such a pungent diesel/fuel smell before, and someone else on here was also growing GG autos from a different seed bank, I mentioned the smell coming from mine, at first he was surprised as his didn't but only when he stuck his nose right into his GGa plants then he could smell the diesel/fuel, whereas my single plant on the balcony was stinking the house out with it's smell. Hopefully what you have still turns out to be a really nice smoke!
Stardawg ix was one of my all time favs weve ever had the pleasure of toking. Truly amazing genetics in my opinion..ah, just thinking how pretty got me bout to dig you an old photo up..now i just wish you could feel and smell it also!! Sorry but read you guys convo and had to let you know what you got rather stinky or not; i think you nailed the description of earthy and piney..i absolutely loved this strain breakfast or dinner...cheers!

20200601_022617.jpg

Hey man thanks for the reply. I appreciate the time you took to reply.
I feel that I was just stupid/unlucky enough to start with bad genetics so I was always doomed from the start.
I smoke alot of stardawg and its very very popular here locally. The plan was to grow some dank gassy terpy dawg to be proud of but I ended up with some very standard smelling bud. Stil looks absaloute fire just lacks those dispencary grade flavours.
I haven't given up on making my own gassy dawg tho just popped some stardawg autos from fastbuds.

Hey bro thanks for the reply! I agree stardawg is an absaloute gem of a strain especially when u get those gassy terps rock solid earthy piney nugs.
The particular version I grew out has some hard dense thc covered nugs just doesn't have any of that fuel diesel gassy terps..which I crave for!
As for your picture it looks sick as hell,Typical high grade stardawg look... I can smell the terps thru the pixels

I grew two Stardawg auto plants a year or so ago from a different breeder. During flowering their aroma was of lemon and pine which I found quite pleasant. After a 3 week cure the buds picked up a citrus aroma to go along with the pine and lemon. The quality was quite good. The yield left a little to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom