420 Magazine Background

Necessity of EC meter

YellowBelly

Hi. First post. I'm dipping my toes into DWC. I have a 70 litre Oxypot XL which will have one plant and was wondering if an EC meter is really necessary if I change the General Hydroponics Flora solution every 7-10 days. I will be maintaining pH with a chemical test kit. I plan on using this feed schedule below, which is a plan based on the General Hydroponics schedule but the doses are reduced. This is a tried and tested plan by someone on another site. My main thought is: would the nutrient concentration reduce too much when it's larger to last it until the next nutrient change?

Light -wise it will be under up to 600w Sodium eventually. I have a 600w variable wattage ballast and dimmable Phillips 600w Green Power bulb. I have several indoor soil grows under my belt but hydro is new to me.

Last edited:

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr 2019
Yes, a TDC/EC and pH meter are both crucial to the success of a DWC grow. As water evaporates from your system the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution will change. The TDS/EC meter lets you monitor this, and bring it back to where it belongs. Keep records of how nuch water you add to make this easier in the future. It's the same with pH. The plants drawing the nutrients up, and the air bubbling through your solution will change the pH. You need to bring that back to where it belongs as well. These tasks need to be done daily until you get a feel for your grow.

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr 2019
These are not very expensive, so go for the best accuracy you can afford. General Hydroponics publishes the EC/PPM of their mixed nutrient solutions, so make certain the range of your meter covers it. Also get a calibration solution for the meter, as an uncalibrated meter is worse than none at all. The calibration solution you buy should be as close to the readings you expect as possible.

YellowBelly

These are not very expensive, so go for the best accuracy you can afford. General Hydroponics publishes the EC/PPM of their mixed nutrient solutions, so make certain the range of your meter covers it. Also get a calibration solution for the meter, as an uncalibrated meter is worse than none at all. The calibration solution you buy should be as close to the readings you expect as possible.
My idea was to measure the EC values of the doses in the feed schedule above and maintain them for the required duration. Will that approach work? I will buy a calibration solution though, and whatever necessary to keep the meter in optimal condition.

I got one and always on ph/EC meter for 30 GBP on Amazon... seems to range in price by +£20 or so from different suppliers.

It has been fine as I have a BlueLab to compare the two.

Top Bottom