Necessity of removing the runoff water?

Jtokleballeur

Hi guys ! I was wandering how quickly can the roots start to rot if one were to leave the runoff water after feeding the plants !

Thanks for reading ! :Namaste:

Re: Necessity of removing the runoff water (?)

Ok, so I guess I figured it out myself, if one leaves the accumulated runoff water, the draining process won't be as effective !

Hi Jtokleballeur.

Just wanted to welcome you to 420 Magazine. :welcome:

Sorry no one saw this and responded. As you surmised, standing water below your pot can keep your soil wetter than desired in certain circumstances. However, it can also extend the time between watering cycles and potentially increase the humidity in the immediate area.

I would think it would take a long term exposure to standing water to damage your plants roots though. When I water and there is runoff, the liquid usually evaporates before there is any danger of damage.

Be well, happy growing and again - Welcome to :420:

Riiiight ! OK, thanks a lot TanR ! This forum is a very cool, I'm glad I joined ! You know, I've always thought about starting a growup project. At some point in my life I wanted to be a police officer and actually completed police academy. All along, I was like:-«man, I'm never gonna be able to grow (or even smoke) weed ever again». In the end I completely changed my tune and I couldn't be happier about that decision. Hopefully our next prime minister changes current drug policies, a lot of people think it'll happen ! And then I'll be first in line to ask for a growing license !

To answer your question root rot does not happen very fast. Will take many days if not weeks to have it start. But once it starts you are screwed.

I often water until my trays under the plants are filled with water and leave it in. If you have well draining semi fluffy soil this isnt a big deal and might be helpful even. If you have clay dense slow draining soil this could be very bad.

Ye takes a while like weeks...

I've got my pots sitting in plant dishes & often water in till run off appears leaving it to sit in the dishes, some time with in some 24 hours its all gone... Not had a problem yet !

Providing ya not watering every day ya shouldn't have a problem...

Jtokleballeur. I'm glad your enjoying the forums. I have truly never seen a site like this where the members all interact in such a supportive and positive manner, not to mention the wealth of information available. Kind of restores a little of my faith in humanity.

How interesting that you went as far as to complete the police academy only to change your mind. I'll bet a lot of folks were curious about that decision!

I've loved every minute of growing since I began. I think it may be the only truly "addictive" thing about cannabis.

I believe we will see a number of national leaders, and by extension Nations, changing their tune on the prohibition of cannabis in next few years. It has never made any sense and has proven a huge drain on society as a whole. Between the money spent on enforcement and incarceration to the damage to people's lives and reputations to the denial of access to the plants benefits; the policy of prohibition must end.

Riiiight ! OK, thanks a lot TanR ! This forum is a very cool, I'm glad I joined ! You know, I've always thought about starting a growup project. At some point in my life I wanted to be a police officer and actually completed police academy. All along, I was like:-«man, I'm never gonna be able to grow (or even smoke) weed ever again». In the end I completely changed my tune and I couldn't be happier about that decision. Hopefully our next prime minister changes current drug policies, a lot of people think it'll happen ! And then I'll be first in line to ask for a growing license !

TanR, absolutely !

I appreciate that growers have both scientific data and spiritual sensibility when it comes to cannabis. You now for a long time I thought smoking weed, in itself, was making me anxious. But, after some years of meditation and yoga, and police academy, I realize that the plant is actually giving us an opportunity to come in contact with ourselves, gives us insight about some of things we might like or dislike about ourselves, and presents us with an opportunity for greater acceptance of our conditions in life, something like what the buddhists call "radical acceptance".

In that sense, I think being involved in growing makes us more grateful for the existence of the plant and we can project good thoughts into them as we take care of them. Also, I don't wan't to ever buy product from the illegal trade, as I don't know what sort of intentions where put in the plants as they were cultivated.

As a farmer, I know for a fact that giving out you love to the earth, taking care of it, creates much better products. Our customers (who we actually see as partners) are very appreciative of the quality of our products. Last year we collected a big 4 pounds potato, she was all about love !

For me, agriculture is political. And spiritual. It's freedom !

I'm just going to need to convince my dad to authorize me to grow cannabis on the farm. I KNOW legalization WILL happen and we must all create cannabis awareness !

Im a little conflicted myself!
if they drink up really quick all good...
But the girls slow their thirst at times and potentially -trouble.

never leave run off in trays. as it evaporates salt builds up and will burn roots. root rot can kick in quickly if trays always have water standing in them. im surprised people are saying its not an issue!

I'm afraid Cult i don't totally agree with ya on this ?

Ye salt build up is possible if using chemical/synthetic nutrients etc but more on basis if applied every time of feed/watering with soil/compost grows etc...

So ye, salt builds up can occur with feeding every time with soil/compost as most plants will only use what ever nutrients they need to support healthy growth... the remaining nutrients may well induce a salt build up leading to a PH in balance or possible nutrient lock out issue's to which any savvy soil/compost growing should really use a feed & then water regime to counter such problems !

But the run off in plant trays/dishes is hardly significant in the sort term in less over doing it by over feeding or watering & most of that is caused by daily feeding/watering...

I grow mainly.coco when hand feeding. Coco schedule is feed everyday and water once week. U will get salt build up very fast and cause probs if u leave run off in trays. I do same routine in soil once the.plant has used the.nutes in the soil. It depends how.long u leave the run off in trays and.how.much on whether it really is a prob but the thread is asking if in general it should be removed. I'd never recommend sitting plants.in.run off. U want those lower roots to get as much air as poss.

I grow in coco and ffof mix, i have gravel in bottom of 3 gallon pots. I water till they have plenty of runoff and usually they end up sucking most of the feeding back up.

Back
Top Bottom