Need second opinion

Hi all, so I have two mystery plants growing currently (journal in signature šŸ˜) same age same lights,nutrients everything and I have initiated flower cycle two days ago to see what the sex is since they are unknown seeds. Since then I have been watching them very carefully and have noticed one is not like the other šŸ‘€..... But I'm not %100 sure..... So I would like a bit of second opinion on the one in question before I just take it out back have an office space moment.

4 photos of are the plant in question.

IMG_20240224_115910284.jpg

IMG_20240224_115902467.jpg

IMG_20240224_115822578.jpg

IMG_20240224_115910284.jpg

IMG_20240224_115648088.jpg

IMG_20240224_115902467.jpg

IMG_20240224_115822578.jpg

Hey Happy!
It looks like it might be a dude to me. Still a little early though
Yea thats what I'm thinking to.... I just don't want to wait and have it pollen drop my tent and screw up the other.....

You can at least wait until it is much clearer that it is male (if it is - it would be the first male I've seen with the stipules crossed.)
There is that. ;).

Yea thats what I'm thinking to.... I just don't want to wait and have it pollen drop my tent and screw up the other.....
Several years ago (the summer of 2021) I put some clones and mother plants out on the patio to get them out of my over-crowded indoor grow room. Towards the last week of July I noticed the first signs that one of the clones was a male but left it for a few days to be sure but started taking photographs.

As usual, it took more than a week from the time the 'balls' started showing in the nodes till they were starting to open up and beginning to look like a bunch of bananas. And even then it would be another week or so before the male flower went from looking like a bunch of bananas to actually starting to produce pollen.

In this photo below the oldest male flowers are at the lower nodes and the youngest at the top below the growing tips. We see the progression from a ball to the start of the lines that show where it will open up to the banana to the clump of banana opening up to the start of the small white flower (showing near the date of the photo tag) where the bananas meet. And it still had not thrown any pollen.

Not the first time I have let a male continue to do what it does best before sending it to the compost piles. Just this time it was one of the better photo opportunities. Oh, each clone has a unique number and part of that number refers back to the plant the cutting was taken from. It was easy to find the 'mother' plant on the other side of the patio and send them both to the pile. Oh, that 'mother' plant was just starting to show 'balls' growing so it was about 10-14 days behind the clone.

full

And here is another photo from that grow showing more of the progression.

full

So I would like a bit of second opinion on the one in question before I just take it out back have an office space moment.

4 photos of are the plant in question.
It looks like it might be a dude to me. Still a little early though
I must admit that on appearances, the gender structures look a bit 'crab claw' so it may be a dude. I'd just like for the pics to be clearer to make a better judgement.
You can at least wait until it is much clearer that it is male (if it is - it would be the first male I've seen with the stipules crossed.)
Personally I don't follow the 'stipule rule' because I have had males with crossed stipules in the past.

@SmokingWings thanks for the brief story šŸ˜ from what I gathered from that was for science and photo opportunity it's nice once in a while to let a man do it's thing before sending it death for having the wrong parts lol.... I have photos from a previous grow, where I let a questionable plant chill and then low and behold it affected everything in tent.... So after it is verified male...I will be removing without second thought....

@Stunger hey I'll break out my digital microscope later and grab some better pictures... I'm sure they will have grown a bit further today as well to show the undesired parts lol.....and agreed I have seen males with "X" as well... I don't trust any pre-tells šŸ˜‚.

I'm just amazed at these closeups i just have a basic android semi smart phone. I'm waiting to sex 2 of mine also and i can't do it till i flip to 12/12 maybe sooner but i'd wait for it as long as you have time an space which i do. I'm a old patient grower not needing speed LOL

I'm just amazed at these closeups i just have a basic android semi smart phone. I'm waiting to sex 2 of mine also and i can't do it till i flip to 12/12 maybe sooner but i'd wait for it as long as you have time an space which i do. I'm a old patient grower not needing speed LOL
Thanks took a minute to get steady to get good shots šŸ˜‚ ..but the digital microscope is super handy and takes great close ups of buds,tricks,etc ... Would recommend for anyone.

But yeah I'm pushing flip to see the sex as they are both of unknown sex and from a random assortment of seeds I had been stashing šŸ˜‚ so I would rather not waste months, energy, product, and my love just to find out hanna is a Henry......ya know ?! šŸ˜‚

And yes I know if I had proper genetics I wouldn't have this issue/question.... I'm browsing sponsors here for next round as the price locally for "souvenir seeds" has sky rocketed šŸ˜‘ ..

Next time you germinate unsexed seeds, try starting them out at 12/12 for the first 10 days above ground and then revert to 18/6 or whatever you normally veg at, and you should be able to detect sex much earlier.

A number of us have tried this and it's been pretty consistent (small sample size though).

Next time you germinate unsexed seeds, try starting them out at 12/12 for the first 10 days above ground and then revert to 18/6 or whatever you normally veg at, and you should be able to detect sex much earlier.

A number of us have tried this and it's been pretty consistent (small sample size though).
Thank you azimuth I have never tampered with them so early as I am still a fairly new gardener... But I will take that into consideration next time I have mystery genetics šŸ˜

That is very interesting. I've never thought about forcing it to show sex. Does that mess with growth pattern, cause your practically pushing it to pre flower to show, then flipping it back...revegging? Or is it early enough that the plant doesn't notice? Could that cause herm issues?

Still a newb.

Alright probably still to early to really say but here are some close ups I shot with my digital microscope.
Hey Happy, for my 2 cents it is 100% male. The immature gender structure shows a 'crab claw' which so far in my fairly limited experience has always turned out to be a male.

On a previous grow when I was running regular seeds I took closeups to try and evaluate what the gender would be prior to either balls or pistils showing. I did this because from earlier runs of regular seeds I noticed how the immature gender structure while not showing balls or pistils, would nonetheless appear different, and when mature would show as either male or female, so I began to suspect that these early signs could be enough to identify gender earlier.

For what it's worth, here is a link to what I posted about this using my pics to try and illustrate these early tell tale signs.

Link to post trying to determine gender from immature gender structures.

Hey Happy, for my 2 cents it is 100% male. The immature gender structure shows a 'crab claw' which so far in my fairly limited experience has always turned out to be a male.

On a previous grow when I was running regular seeds I took closeups to try and evaluate what the gender would be prior to either balls or pistils showing. I did this because from earlier runs of regular seeds I noticed how the immature gender structure while not showing balls or pistils, would nonetheless appear different, and when mature would show as either male or female, so I began to suspect that these early signs could be enough to identify gender earlier.

For what it's worth, here is a link to what I posted about this using my pics to try and illustrate these early tell tale signs.

Amazing documentation. Gonna have me doing close-ups for gender reveal now.

Thanks I read through and it was very useful, great close ups as well.... And yes I'm thinking the same .... It's a male. But it's worth it to give a few days before doing anything drastic just in case it's just a weird starting girl lol

Thanks I read through and it was very useful, great close ups as well.... And yes I'm thinking the same .... It's a male. But it's worth it to give a few days before doing anything drastic just in case it's just a weird starting girl lol
To me the 'crab claw' appearance and the 'pedestal base' make it a male in my books (and limited experience!). The fact that you say the other plant is different suggests that you have one of each gender.

On the assumption that the plant is not further advanced elsewhere, then I would not expect that you need be worried on keeping it for a little bit longer while you wait for more confirmation, as before pollen balls open they first develop into clusters of balls which from what we can see are not showing on your plant yet.

Here are a couple of pics of a male that is a little bit more advanced that I am growing out for the purpose of collecting pollen to make some crosses.

Back
Top Bottom