Need some help with attic grow

Greencheezit

I have cleared and framed in a space for my attic grow it is about a 7x8 area I have purchased 3 1500w led full spectrum light and 440 cm inline fan with filter what I am wondering is there anyone who has done or doing a successful attic grow and if so what were the summers like and winter's as well I do plan to fully insulate it the best I can to keep the temperature where I need it I also plan on running fresh air in and out with help from my furnace by tapping in the supply line and the air return line please any and all help is needed I'm a newbie and I need help!!!!!! Please and thank you so much

And remember always pass tho the right

Ok I was busy when I originally saw your post.

That’s an eager job you have planned with the furnace.

Do you mind if I ask where your from? Just need to get an idea to what the temps in winter and summer would be. I’m in Alberta. So my attics are filled with blown in insulation. I wouldn’t even dream about going up there for a grow. That would be, well... no fun at all! To put it nicely!

I'm from Indiana and the furnace should be fairly simple (in a perfect world) I was thinking if I insulate it well I should be able to maintain the temp with my furnace a/c essentially a room inside a room idk . . . .

Yea he has a nice setup clearly money isnt an issue for him either is space both are a problem for me I am going to give this a go no matter what I think I can make it work of course I'm not sure that's why I'm asking for advise

Yeah attic growing isn't easy mate. To be honest it's an absolute pain in the ass.
I've given up trying to grow through the winter. Im in Scotland and it's just too cold. If your plants go under about 15*c they just stop growing. Get too cold in bloom at the wrong time and you're fucked. The buds just give up.

Let's see what we're working with though before we start jumping guns.
You said you've got 3 X 1500w LEDs for a 7x8. What exactly are they, do you have a link?
That space is 56 square feet. For blurple led you want around 50w per square foot for a good run at it. That means around 2800 watts from the wall.
This why the link for the lights is important. They say they're 1500w but unless they cost you about £3k each they're most likely around 400w from the wall.
No dramas though, just means don't fill the whole space. Sell a couple Oz and use that to upgrade for next time. :)

Yehsence 1500w LED Grow Light with Bloom and Veg Switch, (15W LED) Triple-Chips LED Plant Growing Lamp Full Spectrum with Daisy Chained Design for Professional Greenhouse Hydroponic Indoor Plants

Theses are they lights I purchased I know they are not the best lights but I went off the price and reviews alot of mmj growers had positive reviews I am doing this on a budget but I am always up for advice and learning

Tee hee

Joking folks...
I got me some o them twelve million watters...

Srucker on it will tell ypu two things, first, iys made in china (prolly Shenzhen) and also it actual watts...
Or do a search and its, its......

265 actual x 3
795 actual watts, and your space is...
See barneys post for calc

whats the coldest your winters can get to in Indiana? I’m Canadian and live in an igloo so I really don’t know.

If you get cold winters and then insulate a room to be warm, may cause bigger issues. As the attic is meant to be cold here in Canada, so that it doesn’t create moisture/frost. We also have R60 value of blown in insulation in my attic so I wouldn’t even dream of this, I’m pretty sure I said that once already lol.

Yes I know it wont be easy but hell I work hard every day so a little hard work for myself wont be a turnoff for me . It probably gets around 20f not usually much colder but that's probably average for a month and then it warms back up I planned on heating it with my furnace and drawing the filtered air out with furnace as well please trust that if I had other options I'd be doing it

Yes I know they are from China so is 80% of things in most homes plus for 145 a light it's worth the risk for getting going I can always use different or better lights but I'm not interested in spending $$$$$ big money on lights as I have found people achieve the same results with cheaper ones as well

Yes I know they are from China so is 80% of things in most homes plus for 145 a light it's worth the risk for getting going I can always use different or better lights but I'm not interested in spending $$$$$ big money on lights as I have found people achieve the same results with cheaper ones as well
Absolutely mate. I grew my profile pic with 2 x almost identical cheap chinese blurples. 480w total. Fuck the haters :)

Its the area thats important though.
265 x 3 is 795 i think. Say 800.
That means between the 3 they cover about 16 square feet at 50w per sqaure foot.
What shape you make it is upto you but personally id start as many plants as you want to grow.
Put them under 1 light untill they dont fit.
Then 2 lights untill they dont fit.
Then flip them and turn on the third light and see how much space they take up.
Trying to fill your tent with that lighting is a really bad idea but for 16 square feet of it theres no reason they cant do you a solid 20-25oz.

Theyd do really well for a 3x5 scrogg. Thatd be the best bet to break 25oz with them.
Use the camera on your phone and you can see the light comming off them and how far it covers.
Should work out that the cover about 3ftx2ft each when 18inches away from the plant which is about what youll want for bloom :)

Yehsence 1500w LED Grow Light with Bloom and Veg Switch

I have one of those. I use it to start and veg peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, basic, etc for my outdoor garden. It does alright for that purpose, but the light requirements are significantly less. I would not trust it to go full through flower on cannabis though. Maybe for a 2x2 space, but I would still be leery that it would be enough for a good harvest. It might get it there, but quality and quantity would be subpar to what it could be with a better light.

Also, FWIW, those lights are not "full spectrum" lights. They are what you may have seen referred to as a "blurple" light, meaning it's spectrum is significantly blue and red parts of the spectrum. This results in a purpleish color of visible light.

For the attic, I'm not 100% sure it's going to work without a decent financial commitment. Believe me, if you want to set it up right, and so it actually works instead of you fighting it all the time, it will cost more than you think to get it going. In the summer, that attic will be hot AF. Keeping the temps down will be difficult. What type of grow system would you use? Getting water up there will also be a challenge.

If you use soil or coco, be prepared for bugs. Most likely of the gnat sized variety. Those little bastards show up out of nowhere. Do you really want pest control substances being fed back into your HVAC system?

What happens if you have a water leak? How do you plan to handle that? You don't want it trashing your ceiling below.

What are your plans for odor control?

How about humidity control?

What about stealth and security?

Many, many things to think over and consider before just throwing up some boards and plywood in your attic.

Back
Top Bottom