Nerfbanes First Ever Grow 2013

Hey nerfbane! Just got done reading myself up to speed on your journal and am impressed at what you were able to do with a frail little plant! Respect! I'm a new grower myself and must ask, how do you get more o2 in the soil for the root system? The concept seems... Bizarre? Hahaha can you help break this down for me? :thumb:

Also beautiful looking nugs on your plant. I am happy that your leap of faith paid off with the LED lights. How would you summarize your experience with them? Have you used hid kits for other grows before? If so, what would you say the pros and cons are from your experiences?

I too am looking at this wonderful LED technology for my first grow, and as anyone else, am a bit nervous i suppose as to what to get to do everything right the first time. Perfectionist tendencies are a wonderful pain in the ass sometimes. Hahaha so my big debate is wether to go for 3 600w hps/mh combos or 3 900w LED from Sara. Money is somewhat of a factor but not the end all be all deciding factor. I was thinking just getting the other lights for the first grow and the second time around getting the LEDs. What is your opinion on the matter?

Hello kid, I've just purchased some LEDs from sara because if you have a look at the journals being made , man those are some quality buds being produced. I don't know where you are, but to save money on shipping I went the company spectrum. But had money not been a factor I would have liked to get white and blue spectrum for veg and Jon's spectrum ( area51) that toppled I believe are marketing, as this looks like one of the best flower spectrums I've seen. If you live in u.s.a no shipping costs, so highly recommend this spectrum. Another on gc is saying can't believe how his cheese that he grows under hid is outperforming under these LEDs. Good luck man, only took me four months of research to come back and buy what I was first looking at ( idiot) lol peace dude

Hi Kid, thanks for the kind words :) This was my first grow (a seed in a 2 lt pot on a balcony with a handful of osmocote doesn't count), and I am very happy with how the mars2 has turned out. I did have a HPS up for a few days while I waited for the panel to turn up, and I can say where I live it was a nightmare for heat control. The mars2 was easy as hell to manage in that department, penetration was excellent and it grew a squat dense plant with thick stems with hard buds and sugar leaves that looked like they had wedding cake icing on them on the undersides. I expect much better results with proper feeding, training and defol. I cannot recommend enough you read these threads and take note of the results they get.

Bassmans defol advice is priceless

Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

Light Addict is the zen master of LST. His plant of the month winner was amazing.

Light Addict's Fluxing Central - Featuring The Original Flux Journal

On the lighting, I'd just get the LEDs. If you were only getting one panel I'd say have a hps/mh around for oh fuck moments, but you're getting 3 so you're good for light. Air into soil, I'm a hydro grower myself but I saw a youtube vid for a product that increases the o2 in the soil. Props to Big Irish Dude for this, he's giving it a shot soon.

[video=youtube;MjD2UL2zmRs]
[/video]

Check out some nugs he grew under the mars2. I think that it says it all :)

BID 6.0 Featuring: TopLED - Coco High Brix - JDL - Highly Mineralized Myko Madness!

Hope I've been helpful :)

Nerfbane,that modular hydroponics is amazing. Wouldn't be to hard to make one, but the airflow rate would take some figuring out. Looks like it pushes a fair amount if air in, the movement of the soil. I'm really interested in this, first I've ever seen of it. More research, grr, lol thanks man, peace

Thank you for all that wonderful information. I must say you inspire confidence in me. For being your first grow you did marvelous given the circumstances. Everything was thrown together at the last minute and you still were able to make it happen. I see greatness in you and I would not be surprised if you would soon be one of the greats on this community. I too look forward to winning one of these mug of the month or plant of the month, although I see you are a few steps ahead of me! Cheers! I will definitely take a look at all those journals. Thanks

Hahahaha I know what you mean. I have been looking at these lights for a month now. I just finished reading the whole top led thread and they do seem very impressive. As far as the flowering spectrum you were referring to, would I be able to successfully do veg and flowering with just that spectrum or would I need to get another 3 lights specifically for vegging? I am close to pulling the trigger. I did happen to read that quite a few lights are held in customs right now and is delaying all newer orders. (Sucks) so I'm guessing that I would still get charged shipping to the US. I look forward to your reply! :thumb:

G'day kid, the red/ir (Jon/area51) is specifically designed for flower, you wouldn't veg under this light. Veg doesn't require as much light as flowering. You could get a company spectrum ( smaller light) with a flowering light and if not vegging when flowering, veg light could help with flowering as well. Some say the white/blue veg spectrum allows quicker hight growth, and some say the company spectrum creates a tough thick compact plant. Fairly sure shipping to us is free, $14 postage or something is only fee, even when making changes to spectrum and having it shipped to us. Email the company this way you will get quotes. Also get quotes on different set ups(led sizes) as price seemed to go down for me when doing this. Best of luck, peace! Sorry nerfbane hope not out of line jumping in, peace man

Thanks grizz. That sounds like a good idea, but for the set up I'm looking to do and the budget I am currently dealing with, I don't think I will have enough. For all materials, I'm looking to drop a bit less than 2k. This is lights, soil, buckets, notes, etc. at about 420-430 a light x6 would get pretty pricey and go over on lights alone. Any ideas? How about you nerfbane? What do you think?

Hey kid, 1x900w covers 4x4 area, I would get 1200w though if only one panel. 900w approw$400 1200w approx$500 good luck! Peace

Also you can veg under cfls until your plant gets some size. 45w cfls start with one, work your way up to about five, then start using led..this is only my idea, others please help... Peace

Thanks grizz. I seen the prices and if I were to get one then I would probably go that route. But I'm planning an 8x8 grow area, perhaps 4-6 plants for every 4x4. So judging by the specs you just gave, I would need at least 3 900w LEDs. So I'm guessing around 1400-1500 after shipped...? Would I still be able to get EVERYTHING else on only 500 bucks? Lol not to mention I would need other lights for veg if I got the Area 51 spectrum... Any thoughts?

I just seen that last post... Lol I will look into those and see if I can make something happen with those. A bit hesitant to go that route since I would need a lot to cover so much area

Thanks for the kind words on my meager skills, I have a long way to go before I am putting out pineapple sized colas :) Practice makes perfect though, and I've got nothing else to do :)

You can get some pretty powerful air pumps, the one they use in the vid is adjustable and he's turning it up so the water is just bubbling on top, so I'd guess that is the optimal level. For DWC systems you need about 300lt/hr of air pumped through 10lt of water at minimum, and that's easy done with 2 small aquarium air pumps with plenty of wiggle room.

Kid - I'd say the best way to find out the best lights to get for your area is to ask Sara in the topled discount thread, and then go from there. You'd probably get a bit off going through her as well. I dunno what it costs for high quality sterile soil but I couldn't imagine not being able to do a grow with $500. If you're near other people you will want to get a carbon filter for your outgoing air, that many plants is going to reek.

I am pretty sure the mars2 panels that are on area51 specs are switchable between veg/flower. Jon705 is very happy with that setup. BID+Curso+Others are very happy with the standard setup. I don't think you can lose either way. Get one of each? :) I know Jon705 has a grow journal going where he has both types up and HID lamps in the middle. That's gonna be some high quality testing.

~ mad grow you got here Nerf... I have been back reading the post, very interesting and I as well would like to check out the LED light.~
better late than never...I am subb'd the rest of the way brother...:goodjob:

Hey kid, wow that's a big area. Why so big? There are a lot of techniques to growing, and without knowing what you hope to achieve its hard to give advice. Lots of small plants can equal the same amount as a big plant. Good luck peace

Thanks Mango :) I'm pretty excited to see what I can do with the next one :) It's pretty safe to say the LED train is here, and I know that with all the extra money that gets poured into the companies that make them will get pumped back into making better products for us to by in 2-3 years :)

You could get all the air you need with an airpump with 2 outlets that are both going into a t connector I reckon :)

Nerfbane, that's what I was thinking, but would need a decent air pump as aquarium ones you can stop with your finger over the outlet. Love to know what wattage their pump is, and how much (psi?) coming out of it, not seeing it in their info. You making one? Later man, peace

Sorry for buggen man but can't really find any info on this style of grow. It's a fair bit different than DWC, seems no need to change water only watch ph and ppm? Do you know where to look? What's it called? Man I'm hooked on the thought of this! Peace dude

Back
Top Bottom