New Grower: Need Help Please!

GREATWEED24

420 Member
hi my plants arent doing so good, they keep getting yellow with brown spots, or basically overnight the leafs will turn crispy and almost black in some parts just dead, seems like most of the plants the bottom leafs are getting messed up, but my biggest plant is completely yellow with brown dots, the smaller ones are the ones with just the bottom leaves but each day that goes by it gets worse, i know some nights my humidifier runs out of water, not only bringing the humidity down but also causing the heat to go to high around 86-88f, im not sure if thats the main issue, maybe its happening more often then i realize as im not the only one taking care of these plants, we've done run off testing and there all in range of good ec from 400-600 and im using coco so my ph levels where all from 5.8-6.3 which should be correct, i feed them basic npk cal mag, and b vitamins that come from advance nutrition. just not sure what could be the issue please help if you can thanks. first time grower.

How big are plants?
Have pics so we can see?
What is water schedule?
Are you feeding everyday?
Hi there, i water every other day and i water with nuts twice then just water the next, i have been told to water everyday but just seems like too much to me, i usually do every other day because thats when i notice the top starts to get dry i have pics yes here

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0296.jpeg

Hi there, i water every other day and i water with nuts twice then just water the next, i have been told to water everyday but just seems like too much to me, i usually do every other day because thats when i notice the top starts to get dry i have pics yes here

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0296.jpeg
You probably shouldnt be watering so much . I go by the weight of the pots to tell when its time to water . @Emilya has a great watering thread idk how to link it tough

You probably shouldnt be watering so much . I go by the weight of the pots to tell when its time to water . @Emilya has a great watering thread idk how to link it tough
Sorry... but my watering articles do not apply to coco... only soil. Coco should be watered twice a day and kept wet from what I understand... it is a hydro system and not at all like growing in soil with most nutrient systems... but there are exceptions!

From your pictures I would guess several things... first, your pH is not right for a hydro operation... get closer to 5.8 each time. Do not ever give plain water.... 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes seems to be about right for coco grows... every time! Lastly, your plants look like they are not getting any oxygen.... are you oxygenating your water before adding your nutes?

I would suggest that you find some coco specific grow journals on this forum, and see how those members made a success of coco and advanced nutrients.

You’re in luck my friend, not because you’re plants aren’t doing well but because I’m experienced in coco as well as Advanced Nutrients line-up.

First thing is, you do need to water your plants DAILY with lighter nutes then normal. (At least once until 20% run-off)

You have a serious lock-out, your first step now is to flush all of your plants with fresh pH balanced water (2:1 ratio of water to coco)

Coco requires either a base nutrient such as AN’s sensi coco or connoisseur coco line up, or you have to add the additional calcium (this is what I do)

But I will need you to flush and inform me of your nite regimen and we’ll get you to that great cannabis you seek.

:bongrip:

You’re in luck my friend, not because you’re plants aren’t doing well but because I’m experienced in coco as well as Advanced Nutrients line-up.

First thing is, you do need to water your plants DAILY with lighter nutes then normal. (At least once until 20% run-off)

You have a serious lock-out, your first step now is to flush all of your plants with fresh pH balanced water (2:1 ratio of water to coco)

Coco requires either a base nutrient such as AN’s sensi coco or connoisseur coco line up, or you have to add the additional calcium (this is what I do)

But I will need you to flush and inform me of your nite regimen and we’ll get you to that great cannabis you seek.

:bongrip:
hi there, thank you for your response, i was told if i have a lock-out then the nutrients will be building up in the medium, but when i did my run off test yesterday it didnt have extremely high amounts of ec it was around what i was giving them, was i told wrong about lock-outs? also i use a standard npk for my base nutrients with cal-mag suppliment added, i was also told this should work good with coco, i can definitely tell my main issue was not watering daily from what everyone is telling me, i will surely water daily with lighter nutes like you have all told me once i sort this issue out, i just want to make sure i have a lock-out before i flush, but i guess a flush couldnt hurt them regardless right

Sorry... but my watering articles do not apply to coco... only soil. Coco should be watered twice a day and kept wet from what I understand... it is a hydro system and not at all like growing in soil with most nutrient systems... but there are exceptions!

From your pictures I would guess several things... first, your pH is not right for a hydro operation... get closer to 5.8 each time. Do not ever give plain water.... 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutes seems to be about right for coco grows... every time! Lastly, your plants look like they are not getting any oxygen.... are you oxygenating your water before adding your nutes?

I would suggest that you find some coco specific grow journals on this forum, and see how those members made a success of coco and advanced nutrients.
Thank you for your help, i have ordered a oxygen pump it should be here in a few days, im also waiting for a co2 bag for my tent but its sold out right now, i will try to find more info thank you.

hi there, thank you for your response, i was told if i have a lock-out then the nutrients will be building up in the medium, but when i did my run off test yesterday it didnt have extremely high amounts of ec it was around what i was giving them, was i told wrong about lock-outs? also i use a standard npk for my base nutrients with cal-mag suppliment added, i was also told this should work good with coco, i can definitely tell my main issue was not watering daily from what everyone is telling me, i will surely water daily with lighter nutes like you have all told me once i sort this issue out, i just want to make sure i have a lock-out before i flush, but i guess a flush couldnt hurt them regardless right
What you heard isn’t wrong, and your issue is definitely from your coco getting to dry. (From the pics)
When your coco dries out the the media supporting the root ball experiences a spike in EC/PPM that isn’t corrected because you’re waiting to long to saturate/buffer the media.
Adding nutes every time you water is a process called fertigation.

The main reason for the flush will be to get ALL of the coco saturated moving forward.
I’m just trying to save you the lessons I learned the hard way.
:Namaste:

What you heard isn’t wrong, and your issue is definitely from your coco getting to dry. (From the pics)
When your coco dries out the root ball experiences a spike in EC/PPM that isn’t corrected because you’re waiting to long to saturate/buffer the media.
Adding nutes every time you water is a process called fertigation.

The main reason for the flush will be to get ALL of the coco saturated moving forward.
I’m just trying to save you the lessons I learned the hard way.
fair enough i appreciate that thank you, i will give them a flush and start feeding them with slightly lighter nutes but everyday. Im sure they will be back to looking healthy. Also just wondering, should i empty the run off water everytime or should i keep it there for the plant to re soak up? and how long should veg typically take if all is done well? any tips to speed up the process without hurting the plants, or even better making them better lol?

fair enough i appreciate that thank you, i will give them a flush and start feeding them with slightly lighter nutes but everyday. Im sure they will be back to looking healthy. Also just wondering, should i empty the run off water everytime or should i keep it there for the plant to re soak up? and how long should veg typically take if all is done well? any tips to speed up the process without hurting the plants, or even better making them better lol?
I always empty mine immediately, I have a wet/dry vac I keep handy. You don’t want the roots sitting in stagnant water ever. High chances for disease that way.
Also make sure you’re adding your CalMag to your water 1st (UNLESS using a silicate)
Mix and let it sit for approximately 15 minutes.
What additives/supplements are you using?

other then the npk and cal-mag, i just add b-52 by advanced nutrients for now, then i have a ton of other supplements and stuff from advanced nutrients to add during flower. i will remember to always add the cal-mag first thanks for that, and to always empty drainage.

other then the npk and cal-mag, i just add b-52 by advanced nutrients for now, then i have a ton of other supplements and stuff from advanced nutrients to add during flower. i will remember to always add the cal-mag first thanks for that, and to always empty drainage.
Feel free to tag me in any time you have questions and if you start a journal I’ll follow through to help anywhere I can.
Happy growing my friend.

Sorry I totally blanked on the coco part

Coco should be watered twice a day and kept wet from what I understand... it is a hydro system and not at all like growing in soil with most nutrient systems... but there are exceptions!
I use coco, and have for many years.
I water every other day, usually.
I let the girls tell me when they hungry/thirsty.
Towards the end of the grow I let them get very thirsty.

First # is ppm nutes, second is ph, third is ppm co2.
IMG_0339.jpg

This room is about 15 days from chop and they are in their third day of fasting. The top of the 'soil' is very dry, but about an inch below it starts getting damp.
Even after three days there's still moisture in these pots.

IMG_0336.jpg

With any medium, any; my rule is to let the plant tell me what she needs and when she needs it. I do not water or feed via a calendar ...

IMG_0338.jpg

I use coco, and have for many years.
I water every other day, usually.
I let the girls tell me when they hungry/thirsty.
Towards the end of the grow I let them get very thirsty.

First # is ppm nutes, second is ph, third is ppm co2.
IMG_0339.jpg

This room is about 15 days from chop and they are in their third day of fasting. The top of the 'soil' is very dry, but about an inch below it starts getting damp.
Even after three days there's still moisture in these pots.

IMG_0336.jpg

With any medium, any; my rule is to let the plant tell me what she needs and when she needs it. I do not water or feed via a calendar ...

IMG_0338.jpg
hi, thanks for your help, so if i am not under watering, what could be the issue? if thats not the issue, then it would have to be the amounts of nutes of putting in but seems like lots of people are telling me to water daily

hi, thanks for your help, so if i am not under watering, what could be the issue? if thats not the issue, then it would have to be the amounts of nutes of putting in but seems like lots of people are telling me to water daily.
I sense your frustration.
And, its because you seek "the answer", and there may not be one.
We're all trying to help and coming up with ideas using past experiences, but nobody has "the answer".

What I do in this type of problem is .. I take the most likely cause and do ONE thing to correct it and look closely to see if it had an effect. If it didn't, I will go to the next most likely and do ONE thing to correct it. Realizing that I am learning all the time for my next and easier grow.

If that doesn't work I say FUCKKIT and throw the bitch in the garbage can and start another plant that isn't so resistive to life. I don't like or tolerate finicky bitches. They find themselves sitting on the curb looking for another home. If they gonna eat my food, and enjoy the light and warmth and protection that I offer her ... she gotta do something for me. Grow.

For your next grow, no matter when that begins, consider an easy genetic to grow. Do a google search and find 'easy cannabis genetic to grow' ... till then, try stuff. Learn.

Hey 24 - Welcome to 420! Reiterating some of the above adding some new bits too. Forget soil, coco is nothing like soil - it’s drain to waste hydro - so hydro rules apply.

Don’t worry about your runoff ph or ppm numbers, runoff contains fine sediments from your coco plus old nutes or chemical salts. Make your measurements and adjustments to inputs, that is the water going in. Here’s what happens... newbies measure runoff and go oh shit! Then start jacking the inputs up or down to get a different number in runoff.... don’t chase that rabbit - it leads nowhere good. Runoff is like Vegas, what happens in the bucket - stays in the bucket.... or dribbles out the bottom, either way forget runoff

Temps - 86 or 88 Fahrenheit is too hot for indoors, its not enough to monitor the temp & rh but you must control it. Do whatever it takes to bring it down 80 to 82 is about the max however most run 78ish. For indoors - the environment is critical.....

No more plain water ever, as mentioned above (feed & irrigate) or fertigate as it’s called with light nutes every time with cal-mag added first as discussed above but make sure to feed every time to 10% runoff, this flushes out part of the old nutes as the new nutes are being delivered.

You mentioned standard NPK nutes but not all NPK nutes can be used in coco. Exactly what NPK nutes are you using? Some nutes are made for soil, others are made for coco or hydro but they are not all interchangeable. I think we need to dig deeper here on the specific product you are using for NPK. Can you fill in the blanks there? This could be major issue can’t put diesel in gasoline engine & vice versa

Last but most important - you must get everyone that cares for the plant to follow this same deal as discussed here... else your plant goes further in the ditch! I’m soil grower but this crew knows their shite. Best of luck and stop back in to let us know how it’s going!

Back
Top Bottom