New grower of old seeds

:welcome: @Bettunya :passitleft:

Hi everyone, I'm a new grower who is becoming obsessed. These plants are fascinating. I'm in southern California and growing outdoors in 10-12-gallon pots. Four healthy plants from 50-year-old seeds for my first grow. Any advice welcome! Looking forward to learning so much more.
Got any pics? I'd like to see some dinosaur plants :rofl:

Here they are:

plants2.jpg

Welcome aboard @Bettunya

You have a couple nice looking ladies there.

If you get around to it start a journal incase you run into any issues.

50 year old seeds, wow. How were they stored?

Also, check out the contest to win free growing stuff.

420 Contests

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Hi everyone, I'm a new grower who is becoming obsessed. These plants are fascinating. I'm in southern California and growing outdoors in 10-12-gallon pots. Four healthy plants from 50-year-old seeds for my first grow. Any advice welcome! Looking forward to learning so much more.
Welcome to 420magazine my friend. :welcome:
Bill

Welcome!!! Can I be the first to ask where these ancient seeds came from? Were they stored from the original Woodstock? How fun! I've been looking but haven't seen any updates, hope you are still growing!

Thank you! The seeds were unearthed in a vinyl double album by the bandmate of an old, close friend. The bandmate gave the seeds to my friend and that's how I got hold of them. Unfortunately, my four plants turned out to be male (or maybe they hermied) but I've got a bunch more and will try again in the spring.

That is the best Brotherhood of the Traveling Seed story I have ever heard! Wicked cool! Bummer on the non females though! I read somewhere that age can affect hermaphrodite properties but I don't know the veracity of that at all. Although you didn't get to harvest, it's fun to play around and you have something to look forward to come spring!

That is the best Brotherhood of the Traveling Seed story I have ever heard! Wicked cool! Bummer on the non females though! I read somewhere that age can affect hermaphrodite properties but I don't know the veracity of that at all. Although you didn't get to harvest, it's fun to play around and you have something to look forward to come spring!
Yes! I feel the same way. It was a blast having zero experience growing and watching those seeds become nine feet tall. I'm really looking forward to trying again and will plant them in bigger pots, earlier. I had no idea weed got so big and transplanted them way too many times:)

Unfortunately, my four plants turned out to be male (or maybe they hermied) but I've got a bunch more and will try again in the spring.

Old advice, courtesy of Dutch Passion Seeds:

From literature and our own findings it appears that the growth of a male or female plant from seed, except for the predisposition in the gender chromosomes, also depends on various environmental factors. The environmental factors that influence gender are:

• Level of nitrogen and potassium of the seedbed: A heightening of the standard level of nitrogen makes for more female cannabis plants originating from the weed seeds. A lowering of the nitrogen level shows more male cannabis plants. A heightening of the level of potassium tends to show more male marijuana plants, while a lowering of the potassium level shows more female marijuana plants. A combination of a higher nitrogen level for the period of a week or two and a lowering of the potassium level is recommended.

• Humidity and moistness of the seedbed: a higher humidity makes for an increase in the number of female cannabis plants from weed seed, a lowering for an increase in male cannabis plants. The same is valid for the moistness of the seedbed.

Level of temperatures: lower temperatures make for a larger number of female marijuana plants, higher temperatures for more male marijuana plants.

Colour of light: more blue light makes for female cannabis plants from seed, more red light makes for more male cannabis plants.

Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male cannabis plants.

• It is important to start these changes at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks, before reverting to standard conditions.

Of course, sometimes, seeds found in bags of bud were there because the plant that produced the bud was a hermaphrodite. Like Fats Weller said, "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances," lol. If not, though, the above might help; definitely plant earlier in the year, if possible. Good luck! (Please excuse screwy formatting; I'm using a cell phone instead of something with a real keyboard and decent sized display. )

Yes! I feel the same way. It was a blast having zero experience growing and watching those seeds become nine feet tall. I'm really looking forward to trying again and will plant them in bigger pots, earlier. I had no idea weed got so big and transplanted them way too many times:)
If age affected my beans by turning them to hermies, I'd be upset :ganjamon: good thing it doesn't...I have about 400 more regular beans from my cross of Liberty Haze x Grand Daddy Purple that I've had for about 10 years now...long story short, it was a wonderful mistake, male GDP and female LH...and you know what happens when males and females are in the closet together :rofl:

From literature and our own findings it appears that the growth of a male or female plant from seed, except for the predisposition in the gender chromosomes, also depends on various environmental factors. The environmental factors that influence gender are:

• Level of nitrogen and potassium of the seedbed: A heightening of the standard level of nitrogen makes for more female cannabis plants originating from the weed seeds. A lowering of the nitrogen level shows more male cannabis plants. A heightening of the level of potassium tends to show more male marijuana plants, while a lowering of the potassium level shows more female marijuana plants. A combination of a higher nitrogen level for the period of a week or two and a lowering of the potassium level is recommended.

• Humidity and moistness of the seedbed: a higher humidity makes for an increase in the number of female cannabis plants from weed seed, a lowering for an increase in male cannabis plants. The same is valid for the moistness of the seedbed.

Level of temperatures: lower temperatures make for a larger number of female marijuana plants, higher temperatures for more male marijuana plants.

Colour of light: more blue light makes for female cannabis plants from seed, more red light makes for more male cannabis plants.

Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male cannabis plants.

• It is important to start these changes at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks, before reverting to standard conditions.

Of course, sometimes, seeds found in bags of bud were there because the plant that produced the bud was a hermaphrodite. Like Fats Weller said, "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances," lol. If not, though, the above might help; definitely plant earlier in the year, if possible. Good luck! (Please excuse screwy formatting; I'm using a cell phone instead of something with a real keyboard and decent sized display. )
This is super helpful info. Thank you so much!!!

If age affected my beans by turning them to hermies, I'd be upset :ganjamon: good thing it doesn't...I have about 400 more regular beans from my cross of Liberty Haze x Grand Daddy Purple that I've had for about 10 years now...long story short, it was a wonderful mistake, male GDP and female LH...and you know what happens when males and females are in the closet together :rofl:
Like I said, I heard that, has no idea the veracity to it at all...good to know though, I have a bunch of old seeds but it was that old seed that almost ruined my Amnesia...I'm too scared to grow and wait to see...no more idk seeds for this girl

Well that was a mouthful. Very enlightening TS

This is super helpful info. Thank you so much!!!

You're welcome, of course - but remember, nothing is certain in life but death and taxes (and if you're wealthy enough, at least one of those is uncertain, too :rolleyes:).

I have about 400 more regular beans from my cross of Liberty Haze x Grand Daddy Purple that I've had for about 10 years now...long story short, it was a wonderful mistake, male GDP and female LH...and you know what happens when males and females are in the closet together

That's probably an interesting cross. I ended up with a Liberty Haze "freebie" single seed pack some time back, and thought it might be fun to grow (although I've read that some Chem Dawg crosses carry its tendency to produce hermaphrodites upon occasion) and smoke. But I couldn't get it to sprout; probably my own fault, IDK.

It's good to know that "regular folks" still occasionally work with non-feminized seed - even if only accidentally, .

Back
Top Bottom