New Grower, planning my new grow space

hahah OMG! you are the only person i have ever known that knows who Adire is other than me and a buddy! I use 2 Tempests (the big dogs before the tumults) in an infinite baffle in my bedroom (box screwed directly into the studs with a 15" tempest on either side of the box, rear of the speakers hanging into the closet) Adire was just beyond amazing, i never heard the tumults but they are just artwork to look at :)

P.S. and yeah mine are right around 20 years now.. work as good as day 1.

That Dan Wiggins has got one big ol’ brain on him for the Xbl^2.
Did you get ur subs from a guy name Keith online ? He had a site at that time.

I bought (2), they both arrived damaged, he reshipped (2) more
And said he didnt have the money to pay for the return shipping, he said just keep em !!!!
I got some metal epoxy from a NapaAuto parts store and repared the damaged spokes Ha.....

I believe we are officially cousins Lmao

That Dan Wiggins has got one big ol’ brain on him for the Xbl^2.
Did you get ur subs from a guy name Keith online ? He had a site at that time.

I bought (2), they both arrived damaged, he reshipped (2) more
And said he didnt have the money to pay for the return shipping, he said just keep em !!!!
I got some metal epoxy from a NapaAuto parts store and repared the damaged spokes Ha.....

I believe we are officially cousins Lmao

nice! i love when places say just keep em :) And no, i had ordered directly from Adire. they were great people and did some amazing stuff.. Wish they had gotten more into home audio, i am using Ascend acoustics right now but am not real happy..

So the 4x4 grow tent seems a no brainer, i get the whole filter and inline fan, i think i understand the lighting situation too.
I thought when i was looking at a 4x4 grow trays they would have a drain hose attachment, but what do i know Lol
Now i’ve seen all kinda pots and what size, im wondering what medium to use (noob friendly). I also probably should have an idea “what” i will be growing. Some decisions require more that one answer.......

I highly recommend coco/perlite for your medium. There's no 'teas' or soil amendments/mixing to be done. There's no daily pH and TDS adjustments as in most hydroponic systems. Depending on the number of plants you grow, use three to ten gallon pots. I'd go with five gallon pots for four plants in a 4 x 4 tent. The pots will need to be raised, and have a drip tray that needs to be pumped out every few days.

Use nutrients all from one manufacturer. I use the Flora Trio from General Hydroponics. In addition you'll need CALiMAGic, KoolBloom, and Flora Kleen. Optionally add in Rapid Start, and Floralicious. Start with no more than 30% of the recommended strength throughout your first grow. It may not be the fastest grow, but you will succeed. If you choose these nutrients I can provide a feed schedule for you.

Go with photoperiod feminized seeds of your choice.

I highly recommend coco/perlite for your medium. There's no 'teas' or soil amendments/mixing to be done. There's no daily pH and TDS adjustments as in most hydroponic systems. Depending on the number of plants you grow, use three to ten gallon pots. I'd go with five gallon pots for four plants in a 4 x 4 tent.

Are we talking 5 gallonbuckets from Lowes/HomeDepot holes drilled to drain.
Fill em half way ??
I’ll get to the other stuff after this Lol

Great advise! I started with coco/perlite in rag bags for my first grow back in 2015 and have never looked back. Totally satisfied with this combo with timed auto top watering system. The biggest single mistake FNG's make is overwatering and this system virtually takes this problem off the table. After the seedling stage it's almost impossible to overwater.

Good luck

BCDD

Wait, they make pots outta landscaping fabric, who knew:)
Im not a cheap-skate, but, are they reusable ?

Yes, reusable. I've still got some from my first grow. They allow great aeration of the root zone and provide self pruning of the roots. Fabric bags are tops in my book!

Great advise! I started with coco/perlite in rag bags for my first grow back in 2015 and have never looked back. Totally satisfied with this combo with timed auto top watering system. The biggest single mistake FNG's make is overwatering and this system virtually takes this problem off the table. After the seedling stage it's almost impossible to overwater.

Good luck

BCDD

Go on....... which do you use

:D
Wait, they make pots outta landscaping fabric, who knew:)
Im not a cheap-skate, but, are they reusable ?

Yes, mine are being used for the fourth time. I made cages for them to help keep their shape in a limited grow space.

full

Caged Grow Bags

I'm working on automatic watering for them:
full

Mounted Dripper for Automatic Watering

These just clip over the top of the cages. I'm not entirely happy with the way the drippers work as they just have holes drilled in them. I've ordered adjustable drippers that I will glue to the corner elbows.

The cages, and drippers offer another advantage - lots of places to fasten plant ties for training:D

Are we talking 5 gallonbuckets from Lowes/HomeDepot holes drilled to drain.
Fill em half way ??
I’ll get to the other stuff after this Lol

You can use these. I'd cover the bottom holes with landscape cloth.

:D

Yes, mine are being used for the fourth time. I made cages for them to help keep their shape in a limited grow space.

full

Caged Grow Bags

I'm working on automatic watering for them:
full

Mounted Dripper for Automatic Watering

These just clip over the top of the cages. I'm not entirely happy with the way the drippers work as they just have holes drilled in them. I've ordered adjustable drippers that I will glue to the corner elbows.

The cages, and drippers offer another advantage - lost of places to fasten plant ties for training:D

Slick !

Oh, im sorry, i meant the auto watering

For the past 4-5 years, I've used adjustable emitters and associated parts from lowes with an inexpensive pond pump from Amazon (luv Amazon). I'm often an absentee gardener, many times being gone for three weeks at a time. Unfortunately, my emitters seem to often require adjustments for consistent flow and often caused problems in my absence. Also, had a pond pump failure while gone. Was able to salvage the garden when I returned but it was definitely adversely affected.

I'm presently working with a swick watering system with auto replenishing reservoir using a float valve. The mechanics are looking promising but, unfortunately, the first grow medium I tried with this was a miserable failure. I opted for Coco Loco for the first time and it maintained far too much moisture resulting in stem rot.

I've now gone back to my old standard of 50/50 coco/perlite and it's maintaining a very consistently acceptable moisture level. Have high hopes!

I looked that up, is it usually a 70/30 mix respectively

Yes. I use the Canna Coco Bricks. These are high quality with an even texture. One package makes about 40 liters. The bricks I used by other manufacturers had chunks of coconut husk in them. I started with Miracle Grow's Perlite in 9 liter bags. You'd need two bags per Coco Brick package. I've since bought perlite from a garden center in four cubic foot bags. It's much cheaper that way.

9l = 2.4 US gal
40l = 10.5 US gal
58l = 15.3 US gal

From there you can figure out how much you need to fill your pots. I use the mix for 3 or 4 grows before putting it into the garden. You lose a couple of quarts per grow to the root balls.

Yes. I use the Canna Coco Bricks. These are high quality with an even texture. One package makes about 40 liters. The bricks I used by other manufacturers had chunks of coconut husk in them. I started with Miracle Grow's Perlite in 9 liter bags. You'd need two bags per Coco Brick package. I've since bought perlite from a garden center in four cubic foot bags. It's much cheaper that way.

9l = 2.4 US gal
40l = 10.5 US gal
58l = 15.3 US gal

From there you can figure out how much you need to fill your pots. I use the mix for 3 or 4 grows before putting it into the garden. You lose a couple of quarts per grow to the root balls.

Thanx Salt ! Would you concider this to be hydroponics, because its not soil ??

Thanx Salt ! Would you concider this to be hydroponics, because its not soil ??

Yes, it's a drain to waste hydroponic system. The coco holds the water/nutrient mix so you only need to water twice a day. The problem with it is that you are tied to your home. You can't leave it for more than about 36 hrs. That's why I'm working on the automatic watering system. That also is a bonus, as your plants can easily survive a power failure of 48 hrs or more.

Back
Top Bottom