New Grower, planning my new grow space

:welcome:to the forum...

I strongly recommend a grow tent. The floor area will depend on the size you want to grow your plants. You need at least 2 sq ft per plant. For a SOG I'd go with four or more. I have four plants in a 2' X 4' floor space, using NugBucket's manifold method. The height of your tent depends on how you grow. Five foot high tents and under are good for SCROGs. For anything else, I'd recommend the tallest tent you can fit in the room. You'll also need to monitor the temperature and humidity in your tent. I use Acurite with a remote sensor in the tent.

For lights, you have the choice of HID or LED. For HID you'll need about 50W/sq ft, while with LEDs you need about 35W per sq ft. With LEDs look for the actual wattage drawn from the wall, not the manufacturer's equivalent to HID. Most will advertise the manufacturer's equivalent to HID. For example the X6 1800W Dimmable COB light I use at full power in my 2' X 4' tent only draws 300W from the wall. Take a look at Timber Grow Lights. They have kits as well as prebuilt lights. Quantum boards are also a popular choice.

I use 70% coco coir/30% perlite as a grow medium. This basically is a hydroponic grow method, without constantly running air and water pumps. This is worry-free from power failure, which can kill your plants in less than a day in a regular hydroponic grow. I use all General Hydroponics nutrients for one stop shopping if something goes drastically wrong. I use oral syringes to measure out my nutrients.

For pots I'm using DIY 3.8 gal caged grow bags.

Don't go cheap with duct fans. The cheap ones generally are very noisy. Use a true duct fan, not an in-line booster fan.
yep, my first mistake, cheap on the fans, just bought a fan for $150

I was looking at 4x4 tents, seems zippers and light leakage is an issue, are there prefered tents here that have tough zippers, if thats really an issue......

Wts i do love fabricating, building designing ect, if DIY gets me a better result please chime in, if you feel there is no real need, that a $200 4x4 tent will certainly work for me. I just did a walk around my basement where my tent(s) will be going, i have tons of room :0)
Gorilla tents seem to hold up well

It wouldn't be difficult to build your own grow space using 1/4" Maranti boards and strapping. Built right, you could easily disassemble it for moving etc. T-nuts are your friend. :D

U get what u pay for like everything else. What are the other tent brands ?

Mine looks, and feels like the Gorilla, both inside and out. It has a Greenleaf logo on it. They are also sold under the Fusion Hut name. I paid $209.90 CDN ($150 USD) for it instead of $457 CAD ($330 USD) for one with the Gorilla logo.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck - it is a duck!

I wouldn't spend any big money on a fancy tent. I have two inexpensive Apollo tents that do what is needed. Unless you like fancy zippers and lots of flaps and pockets and a little window to peek through because you don't want to open the flap I would go mid range price

I wouldn't spend any big money on a fancy tent.

I started with a $99 CAD / $72 USD 2' X 4' X 5' Fusion Hut. I bought the Greenleaf 2' X 4' X 7-8' for the extra height. I found my plants tended to grow into or over my light when it was at 4' 6". Unless you are only growing SCRoGs, or using it from seed or clone through veg, I recommend staying well clear of tents 5' tall or less.

Ok, look like i can always go 5x5 or 4x4 and start with a single tent as you did, what lite do you use ?
I have read about lites offering dual veg/flower, is this something for advanced growers
Thanks for info, Old Salt But I grow in a closet, it’s more for the newbies I’m asking. Lol
I've grown in a couple little closets for over 10 years :thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake: it's not just for noobs :rofl: I think I do pretty good :rofl: a little crowded but hey it's a party :party:
009.jpg and if you're still looking for a tent just Google the size you want and get 1 cheap...I found this just by typing in the size I would want 60" x 60" x 84" ....

peace and good luck :thumb:

I’ve got a 4’x10’x9’ high milar covered closet that I planed from the day my son got married and moved out:yahoo: from intake to exaust it’s all mine and works rather well except in the summertime heat 80s and above ( to cheep to flip for ac ) I take it outside. I was shocked years ago at the power of the sun compared to infearier inside lighting. Of the day.

My plan is to scrog 4 plants, would any of the tents in the $99-120 work, they are about half price, my plan is to grow in one tent from seed to smoke, probably take a rest, catch my breath, then do a other, im pretty good at maintaining my equipment so besides stupid accidents i should get some miles out of it.

What are ur collective thoughs on the zippers that let little amounts of light in.....

I have both a 48 x 48 x 80 and a 60 x 60 x 80. I like them both. If you have room the 60" tent is great. It along with a air cooled 1000 HPS is the best tent I have built to date.

I have both a 48 x 48 x 80 and a 60 x 60 x 80. I like them both. If you have room the 60" tent is great. It along with a air cooled 1000 HPS is the best tent I have built to date.

Yield is never a concern as the grows are for me and gifts for my close friends, is a bigger environment more stable you think, less ups and downs

I agree on production, it is not one of my main goals. The bigger tent does help with that for the exact reason you mentioned. It is a lot easier to keep temps down. That makes control over everything else easier. Because of this they end up producing better.

I agree on production, it is not one of my main goals. The bigger tent does help with that for the exact reason you mentioned. It is a lot easier to keep temps down. That makes control over everything else easier. Because of this they end up producing better.

Swimming pools are like that, bigger the pool, more water, much more stable..... able to fend off the acidity of the rain, pools are all about PH too, but thats another story :0)

Back
Top Bottom