New hobby and hello from Grasshopper

GrasshopperLimps

420 Member
Hi.

I wanted to say hello to everyone and talk about my journey here.

I have been having interests in indoor hobbies like breaking and building stuffs that is fun. Over the years I was showing interest in growing aquatic plants and collecting wild species.

I used to read a lot about cannabis when I was young and had plans for it in my future. Back then I had lot of R&D science fiction ideas like extracting the chemical. I gave up once thinking cannabis and coco plant are the same and I can never get my hands on cannabis. More education cleared my head.

After college and after I gotten a good job me and my friend tried smoking. I have been collecting the seeds since then.

Few years back I tried germinating them and it was a success story.

I have been germinating seeds and not growing them. Recently I gotten some time for myself and decided to grow them.

I have two sprouted ones and I m hoping to document it part of a journal here.

I have been picking up some challenging hobbies, and this one is on my list now.

Thanks,
Grasshopper.

Welcome Grasshopper,
I'm new here as well, but I'm also always willing to share knowledge. The best I can offer at this point is some of the most important info you'll need.
1. Don't overwater, but do use a well-draining soiless medium unless you're going hydro and I wouldn't suggest that until you have a half dozen +/- successful grows and plentiful knowledge.

2. Don't overreact, it's probably the most common mistake people make. They'll see some chlorosis, curling edges, slow growth, etc and they'll do what they THINK is needed to correct it. Then they see that it continues and correct (overcorrect) again, causing more problems... continuation is normal, so long as it's on the leaves that it started on, concentrate on new growth when fixing issues.

3. Be wary of hype and misinformation. This is definitely NOT rocket science... and I'm saying this as the husband of an actual Horticulturist. Of course we can overthink and of course the field of study is vast, but the warning is that companies will and do take advantage and promise the sun and moon for only 19.95 (plus tax).

4. With aforementioned wariness, don't skimp on the major elements. Ferts, lighting, medium. The misinformation part is that there is as much sound and useful info as their is "old wives tales" surrounding this plant. My first successful grow was decades ago in a makeshift cabinet with a small cannabalized yard sale air purifier to exhaust (passive intake). Beans were bagseed, I vegged and flowered under the same (probably well used) T-12's. It was... well... very good weed, of course it didn't hold a candle to connoisseur bud. I wouldn't take info from folks that don't have pictures to prove that their knowledge translates to success. I'm one of them, I can't prove a thing at the moment.

Also, if you have ORIGINAL 80's-90's Skunk seeds, they are worth more than gold per ounce, we'd have to discuss securing those genetics and sharing them with the world. I'd pay for the Silver Thiosulfate if you femmed some original Skunk and shared the beans!

@VetSmoke85
That's a bit too easy and universal :straightface: I haven't seen a "dunce cap award", but if there is one... I should have earned it with that question! Thanks and have a great one!
No problem. Takes a while to pick everything up on here. At the bottom of my signature there's a link for new members. All the useful info the 420 staff have put together to help newcomers out.

Welcome aboard @GrasshopperLimps

So your ready too take the next step in the growing, good for you.

We know you have familiarization with germination, what's your next move?
Do you have all the equipment for the grow?
Have you tested your environment for 48 hours?

Ping me when you start a journal so I can see how you are coming along.

How to Make a Grow Journal

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Thanks Tok. I have garden soil mix with coco peat, perilte and vermi compost. I have made sure the soil is loose and airy. Planted the sprouts and both of them have the second set of leafs. I'm keeping them on 12-12 in 6500k Led.

I'll be getting warm white LED coming week.

What I have is a northern lights regular strain.

Welcome Grasshopper,
I'm new here as well, but I'm also always willing to share knowledge. The best I can offer at this point is some of the most important info you'll need.
1. Don't overwater, but do use a well-draining soiless medium unless you're going hydro and I wouldn't suggest that until you have a half dozen +/- successful grows and plentiful knowledge.

2. Don't overreact, it's probably the most common mistake people make. They'll see some chlorosis, curling edges, slow growth, etc and they'll do what they THINK is needed to correct it. Then they see that it continues and correct (overcorrect) again, causing more problems... continuation is normal, so long as it's on the leaves that it started on, concentrate on new growth when fixing issues.

3. Be wary of hype and misinformation. This is definitely NOT rocket science... and I'm saying this as the husband of an actual Horticulturist. Of course we can overthink and of course the field of study is vast, but the warning is that companies will and do take advantage and promise the sun and moon for only 19.95 (plus tax).

4. With aforementioned wariness, don't skimp on the major elements. Ferts, lighting, medium. The misinformation part is that there is as much sound and useful info as their is "old wives tales" surrounding this plant. My first successful grow was decades ago in a makeshift cabinet with a small cannabalized yard sale air purifier to exhaust (passive intake). Beans were bagseed, I vegged and flowered under the same (probably well used) T-12's. It was... well... very good weed, of course it didn't hold a candle to connoisseur bud. I wouldn't take info from folks that don't have pictures to prove that their knowledge translates to success. I'm one of them, I can't prove a thing at the moment.

Also, if you have ORIGINAL 80's-90's Skunk seeds, they are worth more than gold per ounce, we'd have to discuss securing those genetics and sharing them with the world. I'd pay for the Silver Thiosulfate if you femmed some original Skunk and shared the beans!
Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information.
Mostly general knowledge that you probably know, definitely not intended to be condescending. You'll want to up the lighting to at least 18 hrs on... or supplement with sunlight, but 12 on/off will encourage flowering just as soon as the plant is genetically ready to flower, you'd end up flowering 6 inchers most likely. Personally I like 20 on and 4 off with my T5HO's, it may have been strain specific, but when I did 18 on it seemed like the flip to 12/12 took longer to really push pom poms (nutes the same, different strains though).

Welcome aboard @GrasshopperLimps

So your ready too take the next step in the growing, good for you.

We know you have familiarization with germination, what's your next move?
Do you have all the equipment for the grow?
Have you tested your environment for 48 hours?

Ping me when you start a journal so I can see how you are coming along.

How to Make a Grow Journal

I planned of maintaining this thread as a journal. What do you think?

Mostly general knowledge that you probably know, definitely not intended to be condescending. You'll want to up the lighting to at least 18 hrs on... or supplement with sunlight, but 12 on/off will encourage flowering just as soon as the plant is genetically ready to flower, you'd end up flowering 6 inchers most likely. Personally I like 20 on and 4 off with my T5HO's, it may have been strain specific, but when I did 18 on it seemed like the flip to 12/12 took longer to really push pom poms (nutes the same, different strains though).
Okay . I'm keeping it for 12-12 to sex it sooner. These are regular strains that's why.

Also this is my first time and 12-12 sounds cooler, that's why kept it for flowering instead of vegging.

Okay . I'm keeping it for 12-12 to sex it sooner. These are regular strains that's why.

Also this is my first time and 12-12 sounds cooler, that's why kept it for flowering instead of vegging.
Sounds cooler is my usual go to as well. I'm more particular about some things though. I'm guessing you are referring to non-femmed seeds by calling them regular. It doesn't make a difference, unless you're talking about auto-flowers... those have Ruderalis crossed in to make them a non-photoperiod bloomer.

You really can't force sex from seed until the plant reaches "sexual maturity" (no joke). Other than identifying pre-flowers around weeks 4-6 from seed. Depriving light during veg will only stunt the plant and may (never tried) cause stress, leading to hermie tendency once flowering starts (in this case, once the plant is mature). Best case scenario, 12/12 from seedling will lessen yield drastically. Clones are sexually mature immediately, but lack the root system to flower well... SOG growers usually veg for a short time after potting up from the cloner (often as short as 2-3 wks). Giving some time for root development.

Caveat... if you're flush with cash, don't mind paying the extra electric and don't need medicine. By all means, experiment and have fun. I've tried many methods and enjoyed the journey... that's the main part, enjoy it.

BUT, if you typically buy bud and aren't well off or you really need yield to work out and can't risk photoperiod induced stress potentially ruining the crop, check any grow journal anywhere... you need more hours of light, 18 really is the minimum based on Botany and not my opinion.

Apologies if I misunderstood your post, I thought that you were seeking advice. From your response, I think you may just be "playing" with weed for the fun of it. Each to their own, you didn't buy primo seeds from a breeder, so have fun. I'm curious to see what happens in flower if you continue to veg with a 12/12 photoperiod! Without the phytochrome response to shorter days and "warmer" light, I think you'll have a very long bloom and I'm gonna guess, either abundant foxtailing or hermie (I hope I'm wrong if you're looking forward to good sensi herb!).

Hi.

I wanted to say hello to everyone and talk about my journey here.

I have been having interests in indoor hobbies like breaking and building stuffs that is fun. Over the years I was showing interest in growing aquatic plants and collecting wild species.

I used to read a lot about cannabis when I was young and had plans for it in my future. Back then I had lot of R&D science fiction ideas like extracting the chemical. I gave up once thinking cannabis and coco plant are the same and I can never get my hands on cannabis. More education cleared my head.

After college and after I gotten a good job me and my friend tried smoking. I have been collecting the seeds since then.

Few years back I tried germinating them and it was a success story.

I have been germinating seeds and not growing them. Recently I gotten some time for myself and decided to grow them.

I have two sprouted ones and I m hoping to document it part of a journal here.

I have been picking up some challenging hobbies, and this one is on my list now.

Thanks,
Grasshopper.
Welcome! This is definitely a hobby that has lead me to get into other areas of gardening. I think I’m obsessed.

good luck and happy growing

I planned of maintaining this thread as a journal. What do you think?
Good Morning @GrasshopperLimps

This section is mainly for introductions of new members. (Meet and greet kind of)
If you post a journal in this section you might not be able to get help if you need it.

It is best to start a new journal in the Journal in Progress, if you do I will tag along to see how you are doing.

Journals in Progress

Back
Top Bottom