New to growing, some questions?

if your really on a budget why bother with a tent of any kind. check out my grows mate i dont worry about stuff like that....sure it does indeed ramp up efficiency, but unless your using carbon scrubbers to clean the air, its all the same.

spare bedroom anyone...black out the window and leave the door open for fresh air when its safe to do so...job done.

stealth boxes are all very well, but if your gonna live the life, then just stealth a whole room ;)

im afraid your right, i didnt. somethings i dont even try to advise on like if i dont understand.

dont get me wrong. stealth grows is a big thing, its just not something i really get. same with all this 'pass your drug test'

what goes on behind my front door i keep secret from the general public, but what goes on inside is fairly open. i DO NOT agree with children breathing the smoke as there is evidence that it can affect their developing IQ. but i see no reason on this planet that my own flesh and blood must be ket away from such an innocent creation...they dont know what my plant is by name and we grow plenty of fruit and vegetables, but im quite happy to let them in my office and even help and learn when im pruning.

apart from trying to feed their needs and keeping them out of public view, i treat them like any other plant we have the god given right to grow. appologies to faith followers for borrowing your term ;)

my grow room is my computer room, my business study, itw where i have my clothes and more often than not ill sleep in there.

i cant answer your questions on stealth grow boxes but i can show a different way of thinking/living...why should we feel ashamed and cower?

GEDC00375.JPG
GEDC00387.JPG

I'll clarify for "iSmokes"...Every nutrient company will offer you a variety of nutes, supps and amendments that will all cover x3 basic nutrient needs (NPK). Then they have supplemental nutrients meant to for various things depending on your desired goals. If you know the basics of what cannabis plants need, then you can add the proper amount of that (NPK) ratio and achieve like-wise results...you may have to use more or less of certain nutrients but in the end, they will provide your plant with the same thing it needs to survive. (Like all plants.)

Once I learned what the plants needed, I stopped using any nutrient line (in my personal grow) because I realized I could do it all organically & cheaper left to my own devices. I'm def not interested in arguing with your opinion on if you think nutrients are made equally or not, lol. No disrespect.

I didn't want to spark a nutrient debate because the nutrient fan-boys always come out of the woodwork and wanna tell you "not to use that" or "don't use anything but this", etc... Its easier to point out the basics and everything will take care of itself as far as trial&error experience. Recommendations (such as mine), opinions and theories are all just those...

Teg: Anyway, you see what I mean man: You'll ask x10 different questions and get x10 different answers. Like I stated above, its about what you're comfortable with and what works for you personally...Not the guy next door, or on the radio, or on a website. Its as simple as that mate! I wish you all the best!

GiGaBane: Me neither my friend! Which is why i've stuck around as long as I have. Never been to another forum so I couldn't compare it to this one. (And the only reason I run into "new" growers as much as I do is because I live in the "hotspot" of CO and well, its kinda my job, lol. and by that, I mean financially & professionally & I in no way consider myself in anyway, shape or form an "expert". Just an experienced, passionate grower!)

CHEERS!

Then can someone at least tell me how to transplant,, if i should?
I would either be starting in 2 square pots, and then transplant into a bigger plastic tub?

just one small matter to consider...im not a nutrient fan boy by any means. hell my current grow started out as a hydroganics experiment.
but i just want to point out from a science perspective that when things are said like 'all nutes are not equal' it may have nothing to do with brand power and all that garbage and quite a lot to do with little details like the different types of nitrogen such as positive and negative and how a higher understanding of the blend of the two can have a huge impact on your ph stabilty and things like that. ;)

Concrete seed, he's asking about feeding his plants. Not the chemical components and whether they provide the right NPK or not. The same NPK ratios can be on bottles of different concentrations, and then he'll screw it up just like I did. I kept repeating that my posts are only my opinion. I know I'm new to growing, but I never share my opinion on anything I haven't personally experienced more than a few times.

Obviously he's completely new to growing cannabis (or any other plant). Your advice of all nutrients are the same, is in my opinion, bad advice to give to a new grower. While you're absolutely right in essence, you're only leading him to try different things to find out what works best for him. That's not what he's asking for. He's asking for good nutrients to keep his plants healthy and produce nice buds. To a new grower, that means give me something I can follow exact schedule and not fuck up. I didn't want to go through all this to explain why I disagreed with you and just summarized and ended with a no disrespect.

Your use of the term "no disrespect", however, was in a very patronizing context. I don't care how experienced you are, you need to address everybody with equal respect.

And about the soil mix. To my limited knowledge, ocean's forest is an extra fortified version of happy frog. It's basically happy frog with some additives (mainly castings). So your mix only sounded like ocean forest with some coco. That's why I don't really think of it as a supersoil. The guy can just get regular ocean's forest, maybe add some perlite, go for 4 weeks without feeding, and then feed noob-friendly nutrients till harvest. I was trying to address his questions, you're trying to teach him about growing.

Jdm Teg, in my opinion, you shouldn't transplant an auto. Just start her in her final pot to avoid any transplant shock. With autos, any recovery time is lost time, and they flower with time. This is why auto-growers are extra delicate with their plants, because 1 week of stress, just means less than optimal harvest. GiGaBaNe is a great source for auto-info. He loves them and grows a lot of them. Check out his journals.

If budget is tight, you can always make a frame out of PVC pipes and glue some panda film to it. It's a really cheap way to make a tent. It's not gona be a proper tent, but autos don't care much for light leaks so you should be ok I think. Just make sure temps are in check, and they're getting good lighting.

Last thing I'd like to add is about the soil and nutrients. I think I started my first post on this thread by saying there's a 100 different ways to do it and they are all right. They will all give you the juicy nugs we crave. This is one of them FFOF + BPN. All I can say is my autos liked it, and I'm a new grower so they are very noob friendly. Just follow schedule starting week 4.

I hope I helped in any way. It's all my opinion and very very short experience. I wouldn't even call it experience.

GiGa- I never called you a fanboy. I just said that they normally show up to nutrient debates, etc.

iSmokes- You can take my post however you'd like man. You can check *ANY* of my post's and i am nothing but respectful in every and any way I can so if that offended you, your bad I guess. If you go back and actually read my post's, you'll see that I told him, IMHO, that an easy x2 or x3 part nutrient would work fine and not to stress over different brands, etc. He has obviously already decided to use Fox-Farm so I wanted to let him know, that IMHO, he would do fine with those as well as other brands. As far as my mix, its what I use for my larger grows, its works great & isn't super expensive...for some reason you're acting like I have kept it as some super-secret and just let something out of the bag! I never claimed this to be the "end-all" in soil's, lol...chill out bro! Its just a good mix for a beginner. Also, Your limited understanding of the Ocean Forrest and Happy Frog soil is indeed limited as you are wrong. However, please do not take that as an insult, as it is not...its just a correction. I've used Subcools Super soil recipe, smart-pots with Tea & a late flower top-dress to get my results. Its far from "secret" and far from "superior" but it works for me man.

Obviously my opinions and advice have offended several people here somehow so i'll see myself out guys! Enjoy your nights!

You'd be surprised about how much I know about the chemistry involved :blushsmile:, lol. No disrespect.

Once I learned what the plants needed, I stopped using any nutrient line (in my personal grow) because I realized I could do it all organically & cheaper left to my own devices. I'm def not interested in arguing with your opinion on if you think nutrients are made equally or not, lol. No disrespect.

Awesome! I will definitely look into the pc growcase, easiest and stealthiest of all, I suppose.

What did you mean by follow sschedule starting at week 4?

And, as far as first planting, both of them in a plasticware rectangular tub is fine? And do I put purlite on the bottom, then ffof on top? how deep do you put it?(And which end of the seed after germination? The side with the white tip coming out down or up?) Sorry you guys >.<

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. Trust me, no disrespect.

I believe that's patronizing.

And I believe you took alot of what I said in a completely wrong tone... but do not worry my friend, you won't have to be wronged, offended or "patronized" by me any longer.

Anyway, enjoy the site guys! wish you the best

CHEERS!!!

I wouldn't do an auto in a pc box that I have not grown before. They can be very unpredictable. I hope GiGa will chime in here with his opinion. But I would recommend giving yourself some slack on headroom. If you let them grow as they wish they might end up at 3 ft tall. I had strains that were supposed to grow 3ft tall and grew 10 inches. Others that were supposed to be on the dwarf side grew to about 30 inches.

I really can't give advice on this so I'm just giving you examples that happened with me. So don't always trust what a seedbank tells you.

GiGa- I never called you a fanboy.

i know mate. ;)

Concrete Seed this is a personal message directly from me to you man to man sorta thing.

please do not be put off by this abbrasive entrance to the forums...honestly mate, im another one thats always fairly sure of himself (i know what i know and im sure im not wrong)....my entrance to conversations was even more brutal than this thread. i almost rage quit myself. ive now been here for almost 2 years and i realise that it would have been the biggest mistake of my life. learning from the members of this site...the way that people firmly but respectfully dismiss advice that isnt quite right...this really is the best site anywhere and the general level of knowledge and factual education on the growing sciences is to my knowledge better here than any other forum ive browsed....we just take a little while to adapt to =)

autos are very complex these days...just calling them autos is almost a ccrime now, lol...there are type 1 autos, which generally grow very short and very fast...its a terrible mistake to repot one of these. type 2 autos. these are most often sativa/rudi crosses that are 100 days+ giants that can yeild pounds of bud. these you can play with a little more. lst, repotting even cloning is a viable option on these for good cloners to maximise the overall yield the get from '1' plant. and finally there are semi automatics which are treat like autos if say they are on 18 hours or less light, but can be treat as a regular plant as long as you constantly exceed this number of light hours.

putting a lot of work into a tiny grow box in my humble opinion is a really bad idea for a starting out grower. even plants of the same strain can grow very differently. un till you have some experience with the various strains you may want to try and all the various grow behaviours(phenotypes) the offspring can have, its simply a risk that your lovely looking plants wont behave how you planned and wont fit into the allocated space.

there we go. think im just about done talking now, lol

start a journal my friend, i for one will tag along and watch your progress and help where i can =)

but now im off to bed =D

Giga- Def appreciate the kind words man. I really do. Unfortunately at this point you're right, i'm fairly "put-off" by the whole thing. Please do not think my departure is in any way a sign of disrespect to you (or anyone) or an effort to spite the situation. I truly wish you (and everyone here) the absolute best!!!

Stay safe & CHEERS!!!

Back
Top Bottom