New to growing, some questions?

Is there a full guide anywhere for a beginner grower like me?
To autoflowers? Something with the right pot size, nutrients you give, how often to water, etc?
I'm trying to piece everything togetger, but then I forget half of it. >.>

Is there a full guide anywhere for a beginner grower like me?
To autoflowers? Something with the right pot size, nutrients you give, how often to water, etc?
I'm trying to piece everything togetger, but then I forget half of it. >.>

haha thats no different to the rest of us my friend ;)

its almost impossible to make a 'complete' guide because each strain IS different. some strains like UV and others will be hurt by it, some like a lot of food and some are light eaters. some grow well indoors but cant hack it even in a greenhouse. same with autos, the word auto is not enough to describe them any more, its just the same as saying regs, there is a whole swathe of different auto strains that all follow the same 'cant make one rule for them all' attitude.

so no you will never get a complete guide. all you can do is learn the basics, like a car...once you know how to change the oil, check the air pressure and basically know how to drive...all cars are different but you adapt to the differences very uickly and can drive a car you have never done before.

and for the basics you need to go to the faq section...it litterally is everything you need to know to grow MJ.

and if you get a grow journal going, then any info in the faq that you want to put in a nice collection for your own perusal, just link them into your blog space ;)

Would there be a way to have a pc grow box in an apartment where a slightly skeptical girlfriend also stays? I mean, how obvious is it?

You're going to have to find someone who actually used a pc grow box for some direct feedback. Look for a journal that used a pc grow box, then PM the grower and ask him.

I personally think nobody can hide any type of grow with somebody living in the same apartment. Then again I've never use a pc grow box soo.. back to my first point. :)

I've done a lot of test with cfls before I came up with a design that is cheap and works awesomely. You can build my design for $40-50 depending on if you use the 6 bulb or 8 bulb set up.

The 8 bulb produces 50,000 lux at the proper distance that will not burn plants.

If you want to see how to build it, I have a thread here. 50,000k lux cfl lamp for DIY for under $50

Here is a pic of the results I have with it so far. Day 23 of flower.

feb16cfl2.jpg

They work great with autos.

A cheap way to get great results with medium, is course coco. You can even go to K-mart and get burpee seed starter coco, which is great for the whole grow. I now prefer to mix it with 50% perlite, the regular kind at like $8 or less a bag.

What is great about coco, especially the course kind, which happens to be the cheap kind is that it is really error proof, unlike soil. I know some claim soil is more forgiving, but based on my experience, coco is. It made it harder to burn plants, overwater, underwater, etc. Also, you will get a great yeild do to higher oxygen, airflow.

If there was one tip I had to stress over and over, it would be to only use a little water at a time. Pour around the edges of the pot. In a 3 gallon, only water with 1 quart, or 1 liter at a time. Then every 4th watering or so, use half a gallon, or just enough to see run off. Use florakleen once a week, or drip clean every watering. I haven't tried drip clean yet, but I have seen others results with it. It is made to use every watering and helps prevent salt build up.

With coco, be sure to use a bit of calmag plus, like 100ppm, or .5 tsp per gallon to 1 tsp per gallon.

Be sure to make it easy to lift your lights up and down otherwise watering can be a pain for seedlings, depending on the hood you use. I like yoyos. They were great if you have a heavy enough hood. if not, you will need to weight it down with weights. A lot of people complain about yoyos but I think it is because they didn't weigh their hood down, so they thought the yoyo was broken.

1 gallon pots will keep your plants pretty small, but autos don't get very big. Nonetheless, I recommend 3 gallon pots. Just get high pots so they fit in your closet. They will not get very tall, so height shouldn't be an issue. Instead of trying to lower and raise lights, try using propers under your plants.

Honestly, if you use it right, you can get great results with a $6 box of Miracle Grow Tomato Food. Use only 1/2 a table spoon per WEEK. Do not exceed this. The rest of the watering, do with just water, tap water even. If you notice any purpling, then use a bit of calmag plus.

These are some of the ways to get a sucessful cheap grow.

Back
Top Bottom