Nokes First Grow: CFL, Soil, Kandy Krush Strain, Help Welcome

Nokes Tokes

What's going on guys?

Welcome to my first grow!

I'm not really used to making a "journal" but I'll do the best I can lol. I've been all over this site learning as much as I can. Hopefully all goes well, it's a weed after all.

I decided to go with CFL lights due to the size constraints of my closet and thought a poor man's grow would be great for my first run and my wallet.

Spec's
CFL lights (10 currently with UVB bulbs too)
Fox Farms soil with organic compost
Fox Farms nutes (I'll ask a few questions about this later)
Seeds Kandy Krush
3.5 gallon pots

Trying to stay cheap I went to Goodwill and bought a couple of lights. I removed the wires out of the lights so I can hang them. Then bought a few splitters so I can double the lights.
The biggest problem with CFLS (from what I read) is light penetration and yields. Since it's my first time I'm more worried about growing properly. Anyway, I'm rocking 10 CFLS total(5000k). 8 are regular CFLS (100 watt equivalent ) and 2 are UVB CFLS. I covered the closet with mylar and I think I have the lights spaced correctly.

I'm going soil because it's cheaper and allows me to fix any mistakes I make easier. I hope so anyway
I did 75% Fox Farms soil 20% organic compost and 5% diaper beads. A buddy of mine swears by the beads. He claims it let's the roots breathe better while retaining water longer. (Shrug)

For air I'm using a fan to circulate and strengthen the trunk. I'm also using a 4 inch inline booster fan for exhaust. It claims 180 cfm but I doubt it. Still it keeps the temp around 72 degrees or so.

Total spent on grow $78.62

So to start the seeds I took a damp paper towel and put them inside it and then into a Tupperware container with a vent cut into it.

After they sprouted I put them in the soil. That was about 3 weeks ago. I'll be doing a weekly update to track the ladies progress.

Pictures in the next post

Any tips or comments would be appreciated

20170429_000602.jpg
20170429_000613.jpg

These are right after I put them in the big pots. Roughly 4 days after I put them in soil.

IMG_20170512_230840.jpg

This is what the parents look like while budding

hey nokes I got a similar grow i started recently with CFLs so I'll follow along

Welcome to the party bro. I'm taking some pictures of my setup and how they look now. What kind of grow are you doing?

20170513_160628.jpg
20170513_160625.jpg

Current photos as of today. The ladies are growing rather well. The one in the back seems to be a little smaller but she'll get there.

Can anyone offer advice as to when to top? Or what LST I should do? I'm not really familiar with how to do that lol

Welcome to the party bro. I'm taking some pictures of my setup and how they look now. What kind of grow are you doing?

I got a homemade cardboard grow box with CPU fans and a bathroom exhaust fan on top venting through an exhaust tube into the attic it's about 40"H x 32"W x 20"D dimensions. I'm growing 2 autoflower plants inside under 8x 23w CFLs from the hardware store in town. Using Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil mixed with some perlite and fox farm nutrient trio. You can check out the grow with the link in my signature.

Look forward to seeing how yours do =) I'll be waiting for the pic of your whole setup.

I got a homemade cardboard grow box with CPU fans and a bathroom exhaust fan on top venting through an exhaust tube into the attic it's about 40"H x 32"W x 20"D dimensions. I'm growing 2 autoflower plants inside under 8x 23w CFLs from the hardware store in town. Using Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil mixed with some perlite and fox farm nutrient trio. You can check out the grow with the link in my signature.

Look forward to seeing how yours do =) I'll be waiting for the pic of your whole setup.

I just checked out your journal. That's a awesome tent you made! My ladies are just a few weeks ahead of yours.
I'll take a few pictures of my setup when I can take a picture I like. I have some cords management I need to do lol

20170513_160628.jpg
20170513_160625.jpg

Current photos as of today. The ladies are growing rather well. The one in the back seems to be a little smaller but she'll get there.

Can anyone offer advice as to when to top? Or what LST I should do? I'm not really familiar with how to do that lol

Hi mate, I'm by no means an expert but I'd top then now, I usually top the 4th or 5th set of leaves. This should give you maybe 6 main branches.
With LST, I used wire to pull those branches out flat and hooked the wire under the edge of the pot.
I did notice that after a while either the wire had cut into the branches or the plant just grew around it so you could put some small pieces of rubber (bike tire) under the wire to stop this happening.
I've posted some photos in Comy420's journal you can check to see the LST.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom