Noobie with some? about AK-47

thehiker

I have a friend who just started some AK-47...a few questions have come up and he's hoping for some advice from more experienced growers.

What Strain is it? AK-47
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Mostly sativa
How Many Plants? only 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? ~ 18 days from germination
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long? not yet
Indoor or Outdoor? indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? 3 FFOF + 1 Perlite + 1 MG potting mix
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gal
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? one 300W LED array (100x3) + 125W 6500K CFL
Is it Air Cooled?
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 65 at night to 85 late afternoon
RH of Room/Cabinet? 30-35%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? both pots are now about 6.6-6.8
Any Pests? not yet
How Often are you Watering? every 3-5 days
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? none yet
Size or Square Footage of Room? 3x4x5

These plants are looking healthy. But they are only about 4 inches tall and not getting tall very quickly. There are about 4 sets of axial leaves off the main stem with two more very small axial leaf sets developing.However, there are new leaf shoots coming out of every node. Some of the early side shoots already have multiple sets of leaves developing. He has the LED array about 8 inches above the plants, and the CFL a bit off to the side, illuminating the undergrowth. Is it possible that he's giving them too much light and the plants don't need to stretch? The internodal distance is less than a half inch. He's about to start some LST in the next day or so. With the numerous side shoots, will it be necessary to top or FIM the plants. It would seem that with the vigorous side shoots, he may be able to bend the plant a bit and it will have several side shoots that will start to grow up. Is this thinking correct? Being his first grow, he's not interested in maximizing production yet. Will the side shoots turn upward and develop colas? Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

I would say 8 inches is possibly too close for the LED. A number of people have had slow growth when too close that quickly picked up when they found the 'sweet spot'. I run my 3x96 at 14-20 inches.

Back
Top Bottom