Nute burn day 38 into flower

Smalls420

Hey everyone I'm flowering my first plant I'm on day 38 into flower. It is a pineapple Express grown in a 5 gallon fabric pot in black gold organic soil, I've been using Dr Earth bud and bloom booster nutrients under a 1200w led. The lights on temp is 75°F-80°F lights off drops to 65°F-70°F the RH stays about 40%. I'm getting some decent nutrient burn on the fan leaves I was planning to start flushing on week 6. Should I start flushing now and how much runoff should I be looking for to fix this nute burn issue?
20190518_083117.jpg
20190518_083117.jpg
20190518_083103.jpg
20190518_083051.jpg
20190517_160124.jpg
20190517_160048.jpg

Attachments

• 20190517_160109.jpg
    20190517_160109.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 151
Hiya @Smalls420 I'm no pot pro but I've had to emergency flush! I've been told 3 times the pot size in water. Seemed like a ton, but it all runs off, cleaned my girls nicely. A long dry and they were happy as could be again. Not sure on plants so far into flower but I can't imagine it could do any harm. Some big pot brains will be here soon to tell us for sure! Cheers, luck to your grow mate! :yahoo:

Hey everyone I'm flowering my first plant I'm on day 38 into flower. It is a pineapple Express grown in a 5 gallon fabric pot in black gold organic soil, I've been using Dr Earth bud and bloom booster nutrients under a 1200w led. The lights on temp is 75°F-80°F lights off drops to 65°F-70°F the RH stays about 40%. I'm getting some decent nutrient burn on the fan leaves I was planning to start flushing on week 6. Should I start flushing now and how much runoff should I be looking for to fix this nute burn issue?
20190518_083051.jpg
When quoting your msg I saved one sample photo.

I think that you are worried that the yellowing of the leaves on your older leaves are signs of nutrient burn when it is actually a sign that the plant is reaching the end of its life cycle. The longer into flower the less the roots do to maintain the nutrients for the plant. The plant then has to use what it has stored in the leaves, what many call the fan leaves, to supply what it needs to continue growing the flowers. If you look at other threads with similar concerns at about the 5 to 6 week stage of flowering you will notice that a common answer is the plant is absorbing the needed nutrients from itself.

While looking at my perpetual SOG clones I was able to show my daughter's boyfriend the progression. The clones that had been in the dark cabinet for 1 week were all green. The ones in there for 2 weeks were green but the ones at 4 weeks and 4 days had leaves starting to yellow and the couple of plants that were almost 6 weeks looked like yours.

Don't panic but in another week to 10 days they will look like death warmed over in comparison to what you have going now. What I have watched since I started my perpetual garden about 18 months ago is that the yellowing starts with the largest leaves and shortly before those have given up all the nutrients they can the plant is already starting to pull what it needs from the next smallest leaves. Eventually, about the only thing you have left will be the small leaves sticking out of the flower buds themselves.

Do not cut the leaves off until they are totally yellow. Any green left in them is a signal that the plant still has some stored nutrients and energy left to pull out. Let the plant get all it can since, in my opinion, the roots are pretty much done for except to pull in the necessary water it needs.

Going back to the first msg you mention that you are planning on flushing in about a week. Since you are using an organic soil with organic supplements I have to wonder why the flush. If all is going well and you are using the right soil supplement then you would be wasting what little chance you have of the remaining still alive roots still absorbing something or anything from the soil. Flushing is for artificial growing mediums like coco coir or perlite & vermiculite mixtures or rockwool cubes. With those examples the growers are not using real soil and have to provide the nutrients that are found in more natural soils. They have to flush once or twice in the plants life to get rid of a build-up of salts and excess fertilizers and start again.

Hopefully that makes sense.

When quoting your msg I saved one sample photo.

I think that you are worried that the yellowing of the leaves on your older leaves are signs of nutrient burn when it is actually a sign that the plant is reaching the end of its life cycle. The longer into flower the less the roots do to maintain the nutrients for the plant. The plant then has to use what it has stored in the leaves, what many call the fan leaves, to supply what it needs to continue growing the flowers. If you look at other threads with similar concerns at about the 5 to 6 week stage of flowering you will notice that a common answer is the plant is absorbing the needed nutrients from itself.

While looking at my perpetual SOG clones I was able to show my daughter's boyfriend the progression. The clones that had been in the dark cabinet for 1 week were all green. The ones in there for 2 weeks were green but the ones at 4 weeks and 4 days had leaves starting to yellow and the couple of plants that were almost 6 weeks looked like yours.

Don't panic but in another week to 10 days they will look like death warmed over in comparison to what you have going now. What I have watched since I started my perpetual garden about 18 months ago is that the yellowing starts with the largest leaves and shortly before those have given up all the nutrients they can the plant is already starting to pull what it needs from the next smallest leaves. Eventually, about the only thing you have left will be the small leaves sticking out of the flower buds themselves.

Do not cut the leaves off until they are totally yellow. Any green left in them is a signal that the plant still has some stored nutrients and energy left to pull out. Let the plant get all it can since, in my opinion, the roots are pretty much done for except to pull in the necessary water it needs.

Going back to the first msg you mention that you are planning on flushing in about a week. Since you are using an organic soil with organic supplements I have to wonder why the flush. If all is going well and you are using the right soil supplement then you would be wasting what little chance you have of the remaining still alive roots still absorbing something or anything from the soil. Flushing is for artificial growing mediums like coco coir or perlite & vermiculite mixtures or rockwool cubes. With those examples the growers are not using real soil and have to provide the nutrients that are found in more natural soils. They have to flush once or twice in the plants life to get rid of a build-up of salts and excess fertilizers and start again.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Alright yeah that definitely makes sense I was just worried that I might lose this one to nute burn and that would suck. The reason I was planning on flushing is because I've read a lot of people say you dont want any kind of stored nutrients in the plant because it can make it harsher and not taste as great. I have no idea since this is my first go around. Should I continue with my feeding schedule a little while longer?

They have to flush once or twice in the plants life to get rid of a build-up of salts and excess fertilizers and start again.

I don't think it's supposed to, but I think this happens to soil growers too.

Not sure @Smalls420 's are burnt although those colors don't look "fallish" to me. Too fast a transition from dry brittle to yellow to green on those leaves?

What made you think nute burn at first do you think you overdid it recently?

The concept of a flush is much misunderstood these days. Why in the world would you want to stop feeding a flowering plant that is working hard to produce as much oil and resin as possible? Flushing, as mentioned above at 3x the container size, does however have a purpose. It cleans the soil and the roots of all the accumulated salts from throughout the grow. It allows the plant to draw up as much water and nutrients as possible in the last several weeks.
Flush properly as you reach the final bud swell at the end, about 2 weeks out. Then continue feeding, right up till the last watering, where you may want to give just water to help let the plant know that this is the end.
Regarding your self diagnosed nute burn... I submit that your roots are slightly salt locked and that you just are not able to uptake all of the nutrients your plants are now calling for. A 3x flush will help if this is the case, and you don't need to change a thing.... you know, those things that got you here and seemed to be working just fine.

Ok yeah I just thought it looked like nute burn so at this point I should do a 3x the container flush give it a good dry then continue to feed right up until the end?

Ok yeah I just thought it looked like nute burn so at this point I should do a 3x the container flush give it a good dry then continue to feed right up until the end?
That is what I would do...
there used to be a day when the be all and end all advice given on these forums, pretty much as a cure all for problems like this, was to do a flush. A proper flush. But as I said, it seems to have crept into the bro science that flushing wasnt necessary anymore, and that giving only water at the end was somehow the equivalent.
Here is the big secret... if you had flushed on one of your plain water waterings around mid flower... you may not have had such a dramatic fade at this point. Each grow will get better as you pick up these points...

That is what I would do...
there used to be a day when the be all and end all advice given on these forums, pretty much as a cure all for problems like this, was to do a flush. A proper flush. But as I said, it seems to have crept into the bro science that flushing wasnt necessary anymore, and that giving only water at the end was somehow the equivalent.
Here is the big secret... if you had flushed on one of your plain water waterings around mid flower... you may not have had such a dramatic fade at this point. Each grow will get better as you pick up these points...
Alright awesome thank you so much for your help!

I agree on the flush. I'm about 2 weeks from harvest, and gave mine a flush last week, after seeing signs of a lock-out. I suspected a lock-out, but it kinda looked like a deficiency, similar to your pics.

Most flower related deficiencies I've seen, started at the lower portion of the plant, and are very common in nature. However, when my upper leaves started showing more than the lowers, I suspected a lock-out. My other indication of lock-out was, I know the plants were getting plenty of nutrients. Just days before the issue, growth was full throttle, then started slowing and showing issues.

After the flush, they bounced back in a couple of days, and the new growth on the buds looks great!
The damage on the leaves stopped spreading too, as now the roots are feeding from the soil again.

Unfortunately, I know now that the whole thing probably could have been avoided, by doing a flush the week before switching to bloom. Hindsight is 20/20, but the best help is at 420! Goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom