Octopot Adventures: A Community Exploration

Still seeing springtails in one plant but I'm not worried about it now that I know how to treat them and the plants they've been in.

Today I want to just focus on the good. This Mystery bs1 continues to amaze me with her beauty and strength. She's on day 25 under 12/12.... is that too late to take a clone? I really want another of her and got distracted from doing it earlier.
IMG_20190404_214009.jpg

You can clone all the way to harvest. It’ll just take longer and success rates may drop if you wait that long. My personal cutoff date is the 21st into flower, so you’re not too far off that.

She looks good! :thumb: Bag seeds always surprise. Lol!

We’re having some issue with our vegging girls. Neither Brix nor I are any good at identifying this stuff. :straightface: I’m pretty convinced it’s nutrient stress, so he’s backing off on the IIP’s Mega Crop 2.0 from the 4 grams per gallon he was feeding to 3.8 gr. I’m sure he’s already adjusted the Northern Lights, just waiting to see reaults.

This’ll be the trickiest adjustment, staying low on nutrients when we’re conditioned to max them out.

Time to show them off. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Northern Lights is struggling, and has been for some time. Brix is still working out New Millennium nutrients with Octopot technology, compounded by the fact that she chose to grow no roots up near the top, so she had to be caged to keep her upright.

:hmmmm: I find myself wondering if this was one he was keeping fuller than they recommend in the very earliest stages? I’m sure he’ll chime in, now that I’ve questioned it. :laughtwo: It was odd how that girl didn’t root up high.

She isn’t asking to be put out of her misery, so we plod happily along.

DDA is nestled down between the bigger girls. :battingeyelashes:

Displaying some suggestion that she’s ready to dazzle Brix. Lol!

Back in the corner my It’s It Punch is getting ready to go more verticle. I’ve learned the chemovar doesn’t care for restraints, poor thing. Lol! Before I fly out on Wednesday I’ll give her a bit of defoliation and clip some of the growing tips to slow her down as much as I can. Won’t be back for two weeks this trip.

Last but not least in this tent is Brix’s magnificent Vanilla Kush. He gave her a good trim the other day. She’ll likely be the next one into the flowering tent.

I’ll finish with the beauty in late flower, Zamaldelica x Panama. @Morglie, we were wondering how long you anticipate this cross flowers? Brix is trying to figure some scheduling and she’ll probably be the next harvest.

I’ll do my best to get more pictures in before I fly out. I know it’s painful when the staff photographer runs out of town. :laughtwo:

Wowsee Sue!! Your plants are gorgeous :circle-of-love:
Y'all seem to have the octopots dialed in. I don't remember, is this your first run with them?

Why thank you kindly GreenThunder, but I’m only along for the ride for this stage. Brix gets all the credit for where they are now. :circle-of-love: When I return from San Diego I’ll take over the It’s It Punch, and we’ll see how well I do. :laughtwo:

Brix has two Octopot harvests down already, but yes, this is his first time playing with the technology. He’s experimenting with a variety of nutrient lines to find the one he believes grows best in the Octopot, and more and more that’s looking like the least expensive choice, Urban Farms’ Vegetable Fertilizer, followed by their Texas Tomato Food.

We still have a lot to learn. :battingeyelashes:

He’s experimenting with a variety of nutrient lines to find the one he believes grows best in the Octopot, and more and more that’s looking like the least expensive choice, Urban Farms’ Vegetable Fertilizer, followed by their Texas Tomato Food.

We still have a lot to learn.

I've done only a little nute experimenting but I sure would be interested in a best that's "least expensive"! I'm going to check this out... with the hopes that shipping doesn't skew the price much.
I am still trying to decide which SIP method I like best. I have three plants each with a different feed method o_O Originally they each had a tote with wick... one still does. One is being top fed and the other is a manual autopot (oxymoron!)
The springtails are the reason for changing the two.

I need to decide today what to put 4 seedlings in because they are ready! I'll update my closet journal after I've decided and transplanted everyone.

Yes, the Urban Farm line with the Octopot on my first run did rather well. I hadn't read the Octopot instructions, so I was blasting my Pineapple Chunk with close to probably double the amount of nutrients she needed. The instructions recommend 600-800 ppm and advise you can go up to 1200 ppm for heavy feeders. I was closer to 1800 ppm. She showed toxicity right away but grew to produce over 12.5 ounces of very decent bud. You can get 4 gallons of Texas Tomato Food for $100. To me that is VERY reasonable. You want to use their Vegetable Fertilizer in veg and switch to Texas Tomato for bloom. I add CalMag and Silica.

I've done only a little nute experimenting but I sure would be interested in a best that's "least expensive"! I'm going to check this out... with the hopes that shipping doesn't skew the price much.
I am still trying to decide which SIP method I like best. I have three plants each with a different feed method o_O Originally they each had a tote with wick... one still does. One is being top fed and the other is a manual autopot (oxymoron!)
The springtails are the reason for changing the two.

I need to decide today what to put 4 seedlings in because they are ready! I'll update my closet journal after I've decided and transplanted everyone.

If you look at local companies I bet you’ll find a good tomato nutrient line. With Urban Farms Cannabis cultivators learned the Veg mix was the only other one needed. The rest simply burned the plants.

Look around. You may be surprised. :battingeyelashes:

And no, I don't believe that the Northern Lights issue was that the res was fuller than it needed to be. That would have brought the water level higher into the sleeve and actually encouraged root growth higher in the medium in my opinion. I think she just raced to the water. In the future I actually plan on wetting the medium in the sleeve more completely.

If you look at local companies I bet you’ll find a good tomato nutrient line. With Urban Farms Cannabis cultivators learned the Veg mix was the only other one needed. The rest simply burned the plants.

Look around. You may be surprised. :battingeyelashes:

I never would have thought to look at or use vegetable nutes! Brilliant.... but I suppose I'll need to learn more about the science of nutes. Currently I'm using the Lucas formula with sensi-cal in veg and calmag in flower, plus sfl 100. I also add Liquid Koolbloom, big buds, and bud candy (overkill?)

I think the thing I need to focus on now is a routine that will keep the roots healthy. One of the reasons I got springtails is I was treating my DIY octopots as coco only... having forgotten it's a hybrid system and the hydro part has different needs. I'd completely forgotten about periodic flushing.... I was using hydroguard but obviously that's not enough. Now I have sfl 100 and I think it's saved my plants.
I can never remember.... can I use hydroguard and sfl 100 together or do they cancel each other?

Time to show them off. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Northern Lights is struggling, and has been for some time. Brix is still working out New Millennium nutrients with Octopot technology, compounded by the fact that she chose to grow no roots up near the top, so she had to be caged to keep her upright.

:hmmmm: I find myself wondering if this was one he was keeping fuller than they recommend in the very earliest stages? I’m sure he’ll chime in, now that I’ve questioned it. :laughtwo: It was odd how that girl didn’t root up high.

She isn’t asking to be put out of her misery, so we plod happily along.

DDA is nestled down between the bigger girls. :battingeyelashes:

Displaying some suggestion that she’s ready to dazzle Brix. Lol!

Back in the corner my It’s It Punch is getting ready to go more verticle. I’ve learned the chemovar doesn’t care for restraints, poor thing. Lol! Before I fly out on Wednesday I’ll give her a bit of defoliation and clip some of the growing tips to slow her down as much as I can. Won’t be back for two weeks this trip.

Last but not least in this tent is Brix’s magnificent Vanilla Kush. He gave her a good trim the other day. She’ll likely be the next one into the flowering tent.

I’ll finish with the beauty in late flower, Zamaldelica x Panama. @Morglie, we were wondering how long you anticipate this cross flowers? Brix is trying to figure some scheduling and she’ll probably be the next harvest.

I’ll do my best to get more pictures in before I fly out. I know it’s painful when the staff photographer runs out of town. :laughtwo:
Mine have all been running 9-11 weeks. If I had to guess, I'd say she has another couple of weeks by the amount of new pistols she has.

That is a gorgeous plant!
:bravo:

I think the thing I need to focus on now is a routine that will keep the roots healthy. One of the reasons I got springtails is I was treating my DIY octopots as coco only... having forgotten it's a hybrid system and the hydro part has different needs. I'd completely forgotten about periodic flushing.... I was using hydroguard but obviously that's not enough. Now I have sfl 100 and I think it's saved my plants.
I can never remember.... can I use hydroguard and sfl 100 together or do they cancel each other?

We don’t use anything like that at all, that I know of. @BrixNewb, have you done any periodic flushing I’m not aware of?

Mine have all been running 9-11 weeks. If I had to guess, I'd say she has another couple of weeks by the amount of new pistols she has.

He does grow big, bea-utiful plants. :battingeyelashes:

Thanks. Maybe it’ll still be here waiting for harvest when I get back.

Thanks, I am doing much better than I expected when I started venturing out into new nutrient lines and growing techniques. I think the genetics play a large part though.

We don’t use anything like that at all, that I know of. @BrixNewb, have you done any periodic flushing I’m not aware of?
I follow the instructions and they do not call for a flushing. I just follow the instructions. They were written by a guy with a botany degree, so who am I to say otherwise?

I follow the instructions and they do not call for a flushing. I just follow the instructions. They were written by a guy with a botany degree, so who am I to say otherwise?

:laughtwo: I just said essentially the same thing about advice from Raphael Mechoulam over at the Study Hall.

That Zam x Pan came down while I was traveling somewhere. @BrixNewb, do you recall how much it was?

It may be a day or two before he answers. :battingeyelashes: I can say that the flowers have been mighty popular since being jarred up.

I took time to get some current Octopot photos. It’s been too long and I’ve lost track of his many harvests. :laughtwo:

In the veg tent Dark Devil Auto, drinking up Mega Crop 2.0, is looking like a green pheno, but that can change at any moment. Lol!

Green pheno are typically more potent. :slide:

On to the flowering tent, where Brix has three running. Vanilla Kush is the oldest, finishing out her first month under flowering lights, with Northern Lights flipped one week later, and It’s It Punch the following week.

IIP and VK are both getting Mega Crop 2.0. NL gets New Millennium.

I think he’s doing a great job of growing in these pots. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

I’ve moved into my own apartment and I don’t ever get out to Brix’s anymore. If this thread stays current it’s going to be because those of you growing will keep it that way, at least until I move to a more accommodating growing area and can start my own.

Great job on the update! Do you know what NL he's running?
It's Nirvana Northern Lights. She came down last night actually.

I forgot this thread when I posted about my veg tent Dark Devil auto. Sue convinced me to put a 3 gallon Octopot in the back corner of the tent with a Dark Devil auto in it. Well I did. Got a green pheno and took her about 90-100 days in. She gave me 13 ounces of bud. I actually had some waste due to mold, I simply cut those buds off and chunked anything effected into the trash. My 13 ounces was AFTER everything moldy was in the trash. I have been really impressed with the Octopots.

Back
Top Bottom