Octopot Adventures: A Community Exploration

Good morning all so I git her up and running, black cream auto by sweetseedzz.
7 days old today.

image.jpeg

Can the octopot over water? That would be my guess:Namaste:

I don’t know that it can be overwatered dynamo. :hmmmm: I suppose maybe early on.... she’s mid flower now though, drinking all she can get.

There’s no top watering, and he’s using a good medium that should wick properly.

Have you seen this look before as a result of too-wet medium? :battingeyelashes:

Yup, they don't like wet feet.

Hmmm... you’re suggesting there’s a possibility the Zam x Pan isn’t happy with the growing conditions found in a soil/hydro setup? She has hydro roots, although @BrixNewb could better address their condition.

If the bump in nutes doesn’t work, this is worth considering. Thanks for the input. :hug:

Brix and I were talking earlier and realized that the PPM recommendations would be about full-strength for New Millennium, so it might not need to be at half-strength like other lines.

I’m hoping, as I’m sure he is, that it’s simply she’s starving. That’s an easy fix.

Still battling springtails but they are reducing in number.

I cut the netpot wick off of Shiatsu Kush and set her in a basket which sits on a drain rack in a tote. She'll be top fed here on out. The tote is to keep her runoff contained, just in case.

IMG_20190331_214204.jpg

She's super sad but the new growth looks good.

20190331_155700.jpg

I picked up some slf 100 and vitamin B. I think she'll survive.

20190331_155625.jpg

This mystery bs has a hydroton wick also but I'm hesitant to cut it off and switch to top feeding because she's already started flowering. Top feeding a SIP isn't recommended because it washes the salts back into the roots. But maybe if I flush really good with florakleen it'll work? Thoughts? The only other option (as I see it) is to just dump the springtails daily, I'm not sure I can get rid of them without removing the res. I did spray the wick with neem oil but I don't know if that kills springtails

IMG_20190331_215118.jpg

She got tall in the few days I've been focused on tiny white organisms, so I tied them down.

IMG_20190331_215834.jpg

She's developing a beautiful color, I just knew this unknown bs was special

IMG_20190331_215844.jpg

IMG_20190331_215100.jpg

I don't think the issue you are having is being caused by springtails.

I think you're right and the problems have been caused by trying to eradicate the nuisance. I'm going to focus on plant health.... the springtails are not damaging though I'd rather have none I also don't want to keep having sickly plants

What is the ppm? It looks like Nitrogen. Or Iron if they are really white looking.

He’s checking now GanjaPreneur. We considered it might be low ppm, since he was holding back on nutrients. Not a good idea with New Millennium.

It was at 712, but he’s been increasing, and it’s up to 806ppm. She’s looking much happier too.

neem oil but I don't know if that kills springtails

I have discovered that neem does kill springtails!! What I did was spray the hydroton in the wick.... but I also sprayed a bit on the surface of the res. The little critters sit (and jump) on the water's surface so I was hopeful this would work.

Prior to my discovery, I naively thought they were gone... until I top fed.... ah, there they are (were)

I have discovered that neem does kill springtails!! What I did was spray the hydroton in the wick.... but I also sprayed a bit on the surface of the res. The little critters sit (and jump) on the water's surface so I was hopeful this would work.

Prior to my discovery, I naively thought they were gone... until I top fed.... ah, there they are (were)

How’s the plant looking GreenThunder? As inexperienced as I am with them I’m not sure springtails are the problem, and you might be chasing your tail trying to kill them off. Neem in any form is good for plants, IMO, so I’ll choose to decide this is going just the way you need it to go.

It’s been interesting the number of times I’ve gone against the norm growing cannabis to discover it all worked out for the best. :hmmmm: My life follows this pattern.....

Not about me....

Springtails eat dead roots, to my understanding. An over abundance would suggest a higher than normal volume of dying roots. How healthy are your roots looking now?

How’s the plant looking GreenThunder? As inexperienced as I am with them I’m not sure springtails are the problem, and you might be chasing your tail trying to kill them off. Neem in any form is good for plants, IMO, so I’ll choose to decide this is going just the way you need it to go.

It’s been interesting the number of times I’ve gone against the norm growing cannabis to discover it all worked out for the best. :hmmmm: My life follows this pattern.....

Not about me....

Springtails eat dead roots, to my understanding. An over abundance would suggest a higher than normal volume of dying roots. How healthy are your roots looking now?

I do understand that they are not causing damage, even so I'd rather they move on. I am treating the roots with slf100 and hydroguard (which I always use)
Three of the 4 look really good. I cut the wick off of one and I switched to top feeding it. The little one is being top fed also, I'm not sure she'll make it but I'll keep trying as long as she does.
This is her, an unknown (but special) bagseed

20190403_063701.jpg

Also in the closet is Shiatsu Kush, she's the one whose wick I cut off. She was rather droopy last week but seems to be recovering nicely

20190403_063756.jpg

LSD clone is in the tent, and her wick is filled with coco rather than hydroton.

20190403_063811.jpg

These are her roots, they look good to me. Note to self and others.... hydroton is not good for a SIP wick. In hindsight, I realize how obvious this should have been.

20190403_064554.jpg

Last but not least is the special (and unknown) bs2. She's healthy and developing a beautiful color. I'm trying to decide whether to cut her wick off but she's too far along to switch to top feeding.

20190403_063620.jpg

I'm trying to decide whether to cut her wick off but she's too far along to switch to top feeding.

My thinking is that I could set her in a drip tray and feed through the tray.... autopot-like but without the "auto" (realizing I'd probably have to feed twice a day)

My thinking is that I could set her in a drip tray and feed through the tray.... autopot-like but without the "auto" (realizing I'd probably have to feed twice a day)

But if you’re available to do that for her it won’t be more than pleasurable to watch her blossom into full maturity. :hug:

I’d put my money on all surviving and continuing on to thrive GreenThunder. Bs2 is looking simply marvelous. :thumb:

The coco’s a much better choice for the wicking. Those roots look happy. I’m sorry you had to be the one to learn this the hard way. Another hug? :hug::hug::hug:

Coco fiber supports a much more vibrant soil community, should one choose to establish itself. Hard to keep that from happening with soil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Your Shiatsu Kush is stunning! She’ll make you proud, for sure. All looks good. Whew, eh? :laughtwo:

I’ll show off mine while I'm here. Brix does all her watering, so I can only claim partial credit. I train and shower her with love and adoration. :laughtwo:

Brix has her up to 4 grams of Mega Crop 2.0 per gallon. The other day he moved things around so there’d be more room in the crowded corner of the veg tent. She appreciated the accommodation.

I leave for S. California in a week. Before then I’ll be clipping off some tops in hopes of slowing her down. She’s obviously ready to flip and there’s no room under the big lights until I harvest the Carnival in front of her. That won’t be for three weeks, when I return from this trip.

Sometimes I really miss those three other flowering spaces I used to maintain.

Still seeing springtails in one plant but I'm not worried about it now that I know how to treat them and the plants they've been in.

Today I want to just focus on the good. This Mystery bs1 continues to amaze me with her beauty and strength. She's on day 25 under 12/12.... is that too late to take a clone? I really want another of her and got distracted from doing it earlier.
IMG_20190404_214009.jpg

IMG_20190403_205602.jpg

Last night in noticed a cracked stem (from supercropping)

20190405_071725.jpg

But the bud site on that branch doesn't even notice the crack!!

20190405_071701.jpg

Back
Top Bottom