Octopot Adventures: A Community Exploration

@Kitchenhawk The Front Right one with the crispy leaves was the biggest and most aggressive grower. We had a cold snap one day and she had a couple leaves turn yellow. then she cleared up, and after a week in single digits she did what you see now. I was thinking it was because I have the tent open and a heat register in the floor was about 1 foot away. However when I look at the pic on the southern oregon seeds site, their pic doesn't look the best either. perhaps genetics play some role here.

The Front left one has some leaves going a bit yellow, and is the smallest of the bunch.

Now the back one is kicking ass, it is filling in very nicely. Some mild fade, but not the yellow and brown crispy leaves of the big one. She is by far the best looking and taking the longest to finish. This would be my pick of phenos if I was keeping it.

Have you seen or heard about the ones your friend has? Curious as to how they compare.

Overall:
These were some NL fems from Southern oregon seeds that I have had for some time now, I used them to do a test run in the octopots using Promix HP, 30 pounds of EWC, and the ttf line of nutes.

Next round I have added 2 cubic foot of Quoddy lobster compost to the remaining mix. (Which basically brought me back to the same amount of soil I had before this run) And will run Aces Killer A5 haze in a scrog setup.
I may try the SoHum living soil, but perhaps a little later. I saw in the octopot group on FB another user using the SoHum, he claims to add RO water only to the octos rez. His plants are looking good so far, and to eliminate adding any nutes would be pretty nice too.

So all three of those plants are the same strain from the same breeder. Looking at the plant in the front right vs. the plant in the back their appearance is like night and day. So I have to wonder....what if the plant in the back had been in the front right the whole time. Would it then look like the plant in the front right now? Or would it be a big, healthy looking beastess like it is now? Is it environmental or genetic? So hard to say.

So all three of those plants are the same strain from the same breeder. Looking at the plant in the front right vs. the plant in the back their appearance is like night and day. So I have to wonder....what if the plant in the back had been in the front right the whole time. Would it then look like the plant in the front right now? Or would it be a big, healthy looking beastess like it is now? Is it environmental or genetic? So hard to say.

yes they are the same strain and breeder, was a 5 pack of NL fems from Southern Oregon Seeds.
I have wondered the same, while the front two have the same structure, they are the biggest and smallest of the three. the one in back is totally different from the rest.

The medium will saturate it self.. mine is half waybuo the octopot sleeve.. It's just as it gets higher it's more concentrated inward to the main stem.. as the roots drink they transfer the moisture as I said earlier..

don't worry about p.h in the soil so much.. And fuck octopot.. treat it as hydro when it comes to e.c and p.h or range them both.

When I lower I lower to 5.4 after 15 days it's about 6.7 that's when I drop it again.

The p.h will transfer to your soil and drag it down as the capillary action send the water upwards.. but if you wanted a slurry test you could go deep and get one..

You can also flush the plants as I said earlier. I doit when I feed my new water and nutes and h202 solution... I pour it straight over the sleeve to fill the tank. Oxygenating the roots in the sleeve and wetting them once in a while..

Somehow I missed this earlier, and it’s oacked with valuable info. The pH adjustment was particularly insightful. How often do you check your pH in the reservoir?

Also, would you please explain in more detail how you incorporate H2O2 into the Octopot experience and how you do flushing?

@Kitchenhawk The Front Right one with the crispy leaves was the biggest and most aggressive grower. We had a cold snap one day and she had a couple leaves turn yellow. then she cleared up, and after a week in single digits she did what you see now. I was thinking it was because I have the tent open and a heat register in the floor was about 1 foot away. However when I look at the pic on the southern oregon seeds site, their pic doesn't look the best either. perhaps genetics play some role here.

The Front left one has some leaves going a bit yellow, and is the smallest of the bunch.

Now the back one is kicking ass, it is filling in very nicely. Some mild fade, but not the yellow and brown crispy leaves of the big one. She is by far the best looking and taking the longest to finish. This would be my pick of phenos if I was keeping it.

Have you seen or heard about the ones your friend has? Curious as to how they compare.

Overall:
These were some NL fems from Southern oregon seeds that I have had for some time now, I used them to do a test run in the octopots using Promix HP, 30 pounds of EWC, and the ttf line of nutes.

Next round I have added 2 cubic foot of Quoddy lobster compost to the remaining mix. (Which basically brought me back to the same amount of soil I had before this run) And will run Aces Killer A5 haze in a scrog setup.
I may try the SoHum living soil, but perhaps a little later. I saw in the octopot group on FB another user using the SoHum, he claims to add RO water only to the octos rez. His plants are looking good so far, and to eliminate adding any nutes would be pretty nice too.
That one you have that is jacked up looking, looks like the 1 of the 5 of my buddies that I culled right before flower. I was giving him the same soil and nutes that I always use and never anything like it, so I think it could be a certain phenotype that is very sensitive to something. Unfortunately I do not know what? And no I have not been to my friends lately, but he is telling me they look nice. I will try to make it by there tonight or tomorrow and maybe get you some pics. This is his first grow mind you. So I guess it is a reflection of me as a teacher, lol. I am kinda nervous to look myself. Haha.

That one you have that is jacked up looking, looks like the 1 of the 5 of my buddies that I culled right before flower. I was giving him the same soil and nutes that I always use and never anything like it, so I think it could be a certain phenotype that is very sensitive to something. Unfortunately I do not know what? And no I have not been to my friends lately, but he is telling me they look nice. I will try to make it by there tonight or tomorrow and maybe get you some pics. This is his first grow mind you. So I guess it is a reflection of me as a teacher, lol. I am kinda nervous to look myself. Haha.

LOL, if you make it over there take notice of how the buds are building. the two front ones are smallish nugs, while the back one is fully filling out. We have seen your work, if he has any issues it is certainly not a reflection on you.

Also, looks like my It’s It Punch has hit the reservoir. She’s also in full praying mode, and her color is beginning to return. :yahoo:

She is looking a whole lot better. The one I had and her baby which I still have were big eaters.

She is looking a whole lot better. The one I had and her baby which I still have were big eaters.

Thanks for the heads up beez. :hug: We’ll be alert. Brix has grown a few generations of the Purple Punch, and it’ll be interesting to see if there’s any difference.

Here's my latest SIP creation... a 3.5 gallon bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket with a yogurt container wick. Coco with perlite

IMG_20190320_205920.jpg

IMG_20190320_205941.jpg

It's currently hosting a "special" (but unknown) bagseed

IMG_20190322_213921.jpg

I'm considering doing one with a 1 gallon smart pot as the wick.... thoughts on this?

Here's my latest SIP creation... a 3.5 gallon bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket with a yogurt container wick. Coco with perlite

IMG_20190320_205920.jpg

IMG_20190320_205941.jpg

It's currently hosting a "special" (but unknown) bagseed

IMG_20190322_213921.jpg

I'm considering doing one with a 1 gallon smart pot as the wick.... thoughts on this?

Nice job GreenThunder. :high-five:

Hmmm.... on the surface you’d think it’d work. Pieces of cloth or felt can wick, but can they do so as efficiently as holes directly to the medium?

In the back of my mind there’s a warning bell that went off when I read that, but I don’t know if it’s justified in sounding an alarm.

can they do so as efficiently as holes directly to the medium?

In the back of my mind there’s a warning bell that went off when I read that, but I don’t know if it’s justified in sounding an alarm.

That's kinda where my thinking landed. At first I thought it was brilliant but when I was about to put it together I felt hesitant. I don't really have anything started that I want to experiment with, except a bagseed.... but my mom would be bummed if I compromised it and it didn't work. I think I'll keep it in the back of my mind for now.

Thank you for your thoughts on it! :thanks:

That's kinda where my thinking landed. At first I thought it was brilliant but when I was about to put it together I felt hesitant. I don't really have anything started that I want to experiment with, except a bagseed.... but my mom would be bummed if I compromised it and it didn't work. I think I'll keep it in the back of my mind for now.

Thank you for your thoughts on it! :thanks:

We’re all born with a guidance system that society immediately begins to train us to ignore. That niggling little hesitation both of us shared with this simple idea was that system in action. I’m proud of us for playing along. It suggests we’re open to inspiration, and that’s what this site runs on, isn’t it? :high-five:

lets see how ghetto Octo I can go

This is a 3g Eco Pot. It has preformed sub par so far, but I want to give it one more shot before banishing it to the outdoors. It uses a sub irrigation principle like a lot of other planters, but with some tweaking we'll see what happens.

this is how it originally looked minus the holes I added

tie down holes and some air holes tried in previous grows. I should have stuck with the original plan and cut out some rectangles, drilling the 1 inch holes was a bitch

there were only 4 tiny holes allowing water into the wicking chambers

so I added a small net pot and cut a few slots in the base not shown in the pic.

drilled 1 inch holes and added landscape fabric.

@Hash Hound .... aw gee.... I’m sitting here giggling with glee. :laughtwo:

Delightful adaptation. :thumb: I’m pleased as punch we tempted you to try. I think you’ll be much more satisfied with your results with the modifications. :high-five:

What’er you planning on planting in your new/old pot? :battingeyelashes:

Hopefully its one of their really good strains. I have a friend who says the Barney's Farm strains he's grown were either really good or really average or a bit below average. I know he grew an Acapulco Gold from Barney's that was out of this world good.

I remember checking out their Sweet Tooth strain and thinking excellent genetics.

I had a Sweet Tooth Auto freebie I grew outdoor and it was good enough to make me want to try the photo version indoor. I liked the genetics also and thought I'd give it a try.
I've had mixed results with Barneys. One Vanilla Kush good, one soso one no sprout
and the freebies, Red Diesel Good, Pineapple Express Auto no sprout

Back
Top Bottom