Oldbear 2019 Outdoor Grow

Awesome, I am at roughly 43.75 degrees latitude, one of the more southern spots in Canada. Great for growing , just need to be careful of botrytis since it can get humid here in September during mid flower. i do not do any grow in containers anymore unless i want to harvest seeds .
I'm at 44', and we got hammered with high humidity last fall here...major rot issues. Did you have it same with in-ground grows?

Have you grown in a greenhouse? And if so what was your preferred method for quanity & Quality? My reason in asking is i am in the progress of obtaining a commerical grow license( Not written in stone yet). Plan on doing numerous greenhouse grows, i was thinking cannabis plants in the ground grow compared to containers. Which would be the best yield. Less watering in the ground that is for sure, but will get more pots in a greenhouse but not as big. just curious if you guys have a preferred method. Thanks:peace:

Have you grown in a greenhouse? And if so what was your preferred method for quanity & Quality? My reason in asking is i am in the progress of obtaining a commerical grow license( Not written in stone yet). Plan on doing numerous greenhouse grows, i was thinking cannabis plants in the ground grow compared to containers. Which would be the best yield. Less watering in the ground that is for sure, but will get more pots in a greenhouse but not as big. just curious if you guys have a preferred method. Thanks:peace:
There is a lot of personal preference in that question/answer. If you have the land, I would recommend high tunnels (hoop houses)...they are cheap and effective and you can grow in ground or containers.

Hey Old bear, have you considered growing directly in the ground with a good organic soil? I have very successful grows outdoors with this method. I am located in Southern Nova Scotia and have had a few Blue dream strains that harvested 2 lbs per plant

Hi Panacea and welcome :)

My plan for this year is to minimize use of containers. Ill use the BAH method - big a$$ hole - and fill them up with living organic soil. Thats the plan for now. I'm searching out soil recipes.

Will be following your prep Oldbear for your outdoor grow. Living in Southern On also, have not grown any cannabis outdoors. As I grow hybrids inside because of height issues, I’m lacking some good old sativa strains.
:popcorn::ciao:

Hey...has Oldbear gone back into hibernation or just busy with cob art???? Where be you, Man??

Hi Mark I was having a little snooze during this minus a million weather we've been having. Thanks for the wake up call :thumb:

Will be following your prep Oldbear for your outdoor grow. Living in Southern On also, have not grown any cannabis outdoors. As I grow hybrids inside because of height issues, I’m lacking some good old sativa strains.
:popcorn::ciao:

Wecome Rosie Im new at this so Ill appreciate any and all guidance.

I don’t know how I missed this. One front row ticket please.:goodluck::popcorn:

Hi BobbyZ glad you stopped in. Front row center seat all arranged for you.

This years grow will be a mix of autos (Northern Lights) and photo period (Blue Dream) plants.

Hoping for 2 auto runs. Want everything finished mid Sept. (too cool and wet past that)

I need a temporary grow space in an outside shed to start the seeds and grow to 2 to 3 nodes.. Then transplant to mini-greenhouse (frost risk until 24 May) , then to final place,

Auto Run One - 1 April to end June
Photos 1 April to mid Sept
Auto run Two - mid June to mid Sept

Question: I'm concerned about how much drainage capability to build in to the soil. I dont want the root balls to be drying out too fast. These girls will be on their own probably 50% of the time, and in full sun.

Any thoughts on this very welcome.

I'm at 44', and we got hammered with high humidity last fall here...major rot issues. Did you have it same with in-ground grows?

It all depends where my plants are , i like them in a mossy area where they get plenty of water , they seem to grow bigger but then the mold becomes more of a issue.. in a more open drier area they do not encounter a mold issue . i find the Blue dream is a bit acceptable to mold , which is a damn shame since it grows lovely where i am located. Granddaddy purple was also a good mold resistant plant as well as AK 47. A lot i think depends on what phenotype you end up with. Growing 100% organic helps imo with pests and mold.

Question: I'm concerned about how much drainage capability to build in to the soil. I dont want the root balls to be drying out too fast. These girls will be on their own probably 50% of the time, and in full sun.

Any thoughts on this very welcome.

I planted mine in the ground when i went out West to work, I was gone for 2 months and we had a dry spell for like 6 weeks , when i arrived home i was expecting wilted little scrawny plants but to my amazement these plants were so Green & large, healthiest plants i have grown. I dug my holes roughly 4'x4'x16" deep and would put anywhere between 2-4 plants per hole. A nice base soil with plenty of perlite and organics such as Azomite, oyster shells, rock phosphate, fish bonemeal, worm castings, blood meal, chicken manure, greensand, Seaweed meal, and fish Protein powder. My original ground was a little top soil and clay, the area has good vegetation growth of other plant and tree species.

Bigger pots with more soil...think 10-15g.

It all depends where my plants are , i like them in a mossy area where they get plenty of water , they seem to grow bigger but then the mold becomes more of a issue.. in a more open drier area they do not encounter a mold issue . i find the Blue dream is a bit acceptable to mold , which is a damn shame since it grows lovely where i am located. Granddaddy purple was also a good mold resistant plant as well as AK 47. A lot i think depends on what phenotype you end up with. Growing 100% organic helps imo with pests and mold.
I am excited to try out some new Mandala Genetics this summer...bred in the PNW, they supposedly handle the high humidity well.

While searching for tips here, I found this article written by Purple goose in 2011. Im curious if anyone has found this to be true, less sunlight equals faster flowering outside? :reading420magazine:

"Hi are you growing outdoors in ontario? Had problems with getting your plants to finish before the frist frost? Well I have been doing some research picking the brains of all the outdoor growers I know and have asked them what they find is the best strain to grow in southern ontario that will finish on time every time and found that most of them didnt have a specific strain they use but instead a specific tactic.

The way they explain it to me is if you put a cannabis plant in an area where it gets unobstructed light from dawn till dusk in ontario it will be much later in the season before flowering is triggered instead many of my friends have taken to growing in areas that allow for 6-8 hours of direct light per day in intervals of around 2 hours between shady periods , so by growing in these areas that have a bit more shade but enough light to not allow the plant to trip to flowering to soon you will find that generally by the first week of september your plants should have been flowering for 2-3 weeks and any 8 week strain should finish by the 1 or 2 week of oct. And why does this work well if you are getting only 6-8 hours of direct light during the longest days of the year will only be getting 4-6 hours of direct light by the end of aug and by the time sept comes they will be getting at best a total of 10 hours of light per day so they will race to the finish line. Give it a try you might be surprised."

While searching for tips here, I found this article written by Purple goose in 2011. Im curious if anyone has found this to be true, less sunlight equals faster flowering outside? :reading420magazine:

"Hi are you growing outdoors in ontario? Had problems with getting your plants to finish before the frist frost? Well I have been doing some research picking the brains of all the outdoor growers I know and have asked them what they find is the best strain to grow in southern ontario that will finish on time every time and found that most of them didnt have a specific strain they use but instead a specific tactic.

The way they explain it to me is if you put a cannabis plant in an area where it gets unobstructed light from dawn till dusk in ontario it will be much later in the season before flowering is triggered instead many of my friends have taken to growing in areas that allow for 6-8 hours of direct light per day in intervals of around 2 hours between shady periods , so by growing in these areas that have a bit more shade but enough light to not allow the plant to trip to flowering to soon you will find that generally by the first week of september your plants should have been flowering for 2-3 weeks and any 8 week strain should finish by the 1 or 2 week of oct. And why does this work well if you are getting only 6-8 hours of direct light during the longest days of the year will only be getting 4-6 hours of direct light by the end of aug and by the time sept comes they will be getting at best a total of 10 hours of light per day so they will race to the finish line. Give it a try you might be surprised."
Makes sense in theory but I am also guessing the size of the plants/flowers correlates to the decreased sunlight/growth.

Back
Top Bottom