Overnight bug infestation

Thanks Bluter. Bode suggested screening the plant off and I have some tulle that I can use to do that. Screening will be the most effective way of keeping the bustuds off.

is this plant still outdoor ? i'm wondering if a predator insect may help you.

I'm indoors. These things are migrating. I have spotted a praying mantis but she's really got her work cut out for her. Also, I may have nuked her with the chafers when I sprayed DOOM. I moved the plant so that it wouldn't get residue on it from the poison and then I sprayed the area with pyrethroid.

DSC_7750.jpg
DSC_7753.jpg

Best I can do overnight.

considering you're doing a tabletop open to the rest of the house you may need to treat all the house plants. you don't want them harboring the next wave when start another run.

considering you're doing a tabletop open to the rest of the house you may need to treat all the house plants. you don't want them harboring the next wave when start another run.
Good thinking, thanks! I don't have other indoor plants fortunately 😅

I have spotted a praying mantis but she's really got her work cut out for her. Also, I may have nuked her with the chafers when I sprayed DOOM. I moved the plant so that it wouldn't get residue on it from the poison and then I sprayed the area with pyrethroid.

I'm watching the praying mantis hunt right now. It survived the DOOMing of the chafers! Very happy to be able to share that.

Have you tried a basic insecticidal soap? It should kill the False Chinch bugs and not harm your flowers.
I did. That was what I tried first. It burnt my beautiful white trichomes, every one.

DSC_7742.jpg

Also, insecticidal soap kills soft bellied insects. These have a hard exoskeleton and as such are similar to kill as the borg.

I just had to move the plant out of the way and spray the area with pyrethroid again. Some of the critters had got into the net.

Have you tried a basic insecticidal soap? It should kill the False Chinch bugs and not harm your flowers.

6 wks from chop is the last point insecticidal soap is safe. the only thing actually safe to use in flower is nothing.

6 wks from chop is the last point insecticidal soap is safe. the only thing actually safe to use in flower is nothing.
I've used both Beauveria Bassiana and Bacillus Thuringiensis successfully in the past, but the BB must be used a couple of times a week throughout the grow. I just didn't imagine pests like this in my indoor space so I haven't been taking the precaution. I will be building it into my grows again going forward.

I've used both Beauveria Bassiana and Bacillus Thuringiensis successfully in the past, but the BB must be used a couple of times a week throughout the grow. I just didn't imagine pests like this in my indoor space so I haven't been taking the precaution. I will be building it into my grows again going forward.

there is nothing that kills anything without a 6wk half-life. organics are also poisons. people just figure they're safer because organic. hemlock is organic, and it's arsenic.

edit : i use total death from above chemicals in veg. i won't use anything in flower. always keep your plants clear in flower if you can.

I understand the point you are trying to make but it is a little bit extreme. Sevin dust has a half-life of 10 days. Neem oil has a half life of under 3 days, especially on/in soil.

neem oil will flavor your bud awful as much as 12 wks from harvest. sevin dust is toxic and not recommended for cannabis under any circumstance, it is banned completely from any use for anything in canada.

americans are much more free to poison themsleves than anyone in canada or europe.

edit : i also got used to growing under the restrictions for medical. you can't use really any chemicals when you grow medical based weed.

neem oil will flavor your bud awful as much as 12 wks from harvest. sevin dust is toxic and not recommended for cannabis under any circumstance, it is banned completely from any use for anything in canada.

americans are much more free to poison themsleves than anyone in canada or europe.

edit : i also got used to growing under the restrictions for medical. you can't use really any chemicals when you grow medical based weed.
I agree here, neem shouldn’t be anywhere near that plant unless you want to taste it.
It’s tough in the last weeks, that’s some bugs favorite time to attack. Luckily that’s not a fungus gnat (almost looked it at first glance) cause they would be worse and there’s never just one.
Late in flower the safest thing I use (if needed) is just low pH water. Like really low, below 5. Many insects hate the environment that makes and the plant barely seems to notice. Doesn’t work for everything but may be worth a shot.
Also 1 full size praying mantis will totally massacre most of them. Those dudes never stop eating.
Hope you figure it out @Carmen Ray

I agree here, neem shouldn’t be anywhere near that plant unless you want to taste it.
It’s tough in the last weeks, that’s some bugs favorite time to attack. Luckily that’s not a fungus gnat (almost looked it at first glance) cause they would be worse and there’s never just one.
Late in flower the safest thing I use (if needed) is just low pH water. Like really low, below 5. Many insects hate the environment that makes and the plant barely seems to notice. Doesn’t work for everything but may be worth a shot.
Also 1 full size praying mantis will totally massacre most of them. Those dudes never stop eating.
Hope you figure it out @Carmen Ray
Thank you Justin. What's a good way to reduce the ph to that level? I had a bug free night last night and the tulle that I am using to net the plant is working like a charm. I cover the plant at night and open it up during the day. I am at the homeward stretch with the plant now and other than being small, it has been an easy plant to grow.

Thank you Justin. What's a good way to reduce the ph to that level? I had a bug free night last night and the tulle that I am using to net the plant is working like a charm. I cover the plant at night and open it up during the day. I am at the homeward stretch with the plant now and other than being small, it has been an easy plant to grow.
Awesome that you found a solution!

For me I just added 10-15 drops of ph down (rather than 3) to a gallon of water. Definitely depends on your tap water so don’t do without testing. I have used it to control small, newer mite infestations, thrips, etc when really deep into flower and poison can’t be used.
I forget who originally showed me that but it was likely @Carcass

Awesome that you found a solution!

For me I just added 10-15 drops of ph down (rather than 3) to a gallon of water. Definitely depends on your tap water so don’t do without testing. I have used it to control small, newer mite infestations, thrips, etc when really deep into flower and poison can’t be used.
I forget who originally showed me that but it was likely @Carcass
That's great to know and good to have another strategy when the time comes :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom