Overnight bug infestation

One of my plants is infested with these bugs. They are sitting on the leaves. I don't see any activity in the soil but I have treated with BT for larvae just in case. I don't know if these are fungus gnats or something else. Their shoulders look bulkier than fungus gnat bodies but I could be wrong.

The plant is at an advanced stage of flower. Can I spray with Safers? Do I have to wash it off afterwards, or is that something else?

DSC_7671.jpg

Safers end-all or SNS would be my first choices. A good spray down with a garden hose can knock off crawly bugs as well. Good Luck!
Thank you Rhino,
Would you wash the Safers off when it dries or leave it?

I don't do bud-washing, i just don't like the process. As long as I'm not dealing with any worries about mold or mildew (my late summer grows) - I like to give my plants a good wash down with a sprayer full of distilled water a few days before harvest. Just to knock off any dust or foliar residues. (They've usually just finished up a drought, so they're thirsty as hell!)
I crank the fans and the dehumidifier to high gear until everything dries out, then into the dark for 24hours and chop chop time!

I hate fungus gnats. Sticky strips and BTi have always worked for me. I proactively include Bti in my watering routine now.
Hi Mike,

This is the first time I've seen a fungus gnat in years. What a nasty surprise. I wasn't even sure if they were fungus gnats.

Thank you. I've given the soil a dose of Bti and the sticky strips are hard at work. I hope that with the Bti and the Safers I'll have them under control. I must dig out some DE and dust the soil too.

Can I spray with Safers?
Since the Safer's soap products are made with natural ingredients I figure that it could be sprayed. No idea of what that insect is and like you mention it does look like bulkier shoulders. Also color is wrong. The Safers might not kill it or its eggs but I have to believe that the soap will not cause any problems.

Do I have to wash it off afterwards, or is that something else?
From reading on fatty acid soaps they can be applied up to the day before harvest. I am not sure how long it takes the natural ingredients to break down so probably a quick wash will do.

Check their web site. Probably some sort of info on the question of whether washing it off is needed.

Hey Carmen, I know InTheShed typically suggests rinsing off the Safers Soap…

ditto not so sure that’s a funkus gnat, I usually see them going for soil or water but not so much in the foliage but IDK…anywho there’s a handy website called bugguide dot net that has a plethora of critter mug shots for identification purposes

Hey Carmen, I know InTheShed typically suggests rinsing off the Safers Soap…

ditto not so sure that’s a funkus gnat, I usually see them going for soil or water but not so much in the foliage but IDK…anywho there’s a handy website called bugguide dot net that has a plethora of critter mug shots for identification purposes
Hi 013,
Thank you for the name of the useful bug site!
ITS does indeed advocate washing it off when it's dry. I was rather hoping there'd be someone saying it's really not necessary to wash it off. I'll wash it off :rofl:

Since the Safer's soap products are made with natural ingredients I figure that it could be sprayed. No idea of what that insect is and like you mention it does look like bulkier shoulders. Also color is wrong. The Safers might not kill it or its eggs but I have to believe that the soap will not cause any problems.

From reading on fatty acid soaps they can be applied up to the day before harvest. I am not sure how long it takes the natural ingredients to break down so probably a quick wash will do.

Check their web site. Probably some sort of info on the question of whether washing it off is needed.
Hey SW,
Thank you. I sent them an email too, so I hope I'll hear from them. In the mean time I will wash it off to be safe.
I don't think it looks like a fungus gnat. I think these things are bigger. I've scoured the internet and not found anything like it, so maybe it is just a fungus gnat.

Fungus gnats and their kin love wet soil. I had a spring season Infestation of them last year from top-watering 54 vegetable seedlings before spring planting... NEVER AGAIN! I rarely ever wet the surface anymore.

Fungus gnats and their kin love wet soil. I had a spring season Infestation of them last year from top-watering 54 vegetable seedlings before spring planting... NEVER AGAIN! I rarely ever wet the surface anymore.
Yeah, these were a migrating swarm of false chinch beetles for sure. These bugs lay eggs. No wet soil issues here. Fingers crossed no more issues. The eggs incubate for three weeks and my plant will be harvested before then. The Safers took care of most of the adults (the pistils too unfortunately).

Looks like false cinch bug. Common plant eaters. Fix it before it becomes a much larger issue.
I agree Nysius Raphanus A.K.A. False Cinch bug. Yup they are herbivores...

Nysius Raphanus false cinch bug.jpg

whatever you use now will definitely flavor or contaminate the bud. safers needs an aggressive wash at harvest. it's meant for produce not something you'd smoke.

whatever you use now will definitely flavor or contaminate the bud. safers needs an aggressive wash at harvest. it's meant for produce not something you'd smoke.
Thanks Bluter. Bode suggested screening the plant off and I have some tulle that I can use to do that. Screening will be the most effective way of keeping the bustuds off.

Back
Top Bottom