Parts of nugs slightly molded. Is it ok to smoke?

Mr.WeedMan

I was rehydrating my nug with a damp cotton swab. A few days ago when I looked broke up my nug it was starting to mold on the inside. Most of the nug still looks ok. Is it ok to smoke that part that still looks good?

I have smoked moldy bud before, many moons ago. First, I put it in the microwave to "zap" the mold spores. It was kinda harsh that way but it smoked just fine and got me really stoned. I have read, since then, that it is not healthy, for your lungs, to smoke moldy bud.
I dont think I'll be doing that again. Your call. Peace.

That happened to me I had a top cola of my plant curing. It was 15 grams dry. I was burping the jar and saw a little mold I ended up throwing half of it away. Since then I always break up big buds before curing. I wouldn't reccomend smoking it. I sure didn't smoke any that was even close to the mold.

In Abbie Hoffman's Steal This Book, there's a section about weed. He says there are only two ways, he knows of, to make pot better. One is to get better weed. The other is to bury your weed underground for a few months till it gets moldy and it will make it better. I've never done that so I can't tell you if it works. Nor have I smoked moldy weed (that I know of).

Mold - Eww and bad. I'd throw that stuff out. It must of been badly dried/cured.
Then again, you can always chuck the moldy pieces off and smoke it, the fire and heat should get ride of the bad crap. But I wouldn't have at it.

Think of how sick living in a moldy house can make someone... why would you voluntarily take a big lung full of it and hold it in? I would advise against it. You wouldn't die, but you could be allergic, or get lung infections... like DaHui said... mold.. ewww.

Throw it out.

Yes, this could be potentially dangerous. Molds are fungi, and some species of mold can produce highly toxic chemicals. Even if you remove all the mold that you can see, the chemicals they produce could be spread throughout the Cannabis. There's no practical way to identify whether the particular mold growing on your Cannabis is toxic or not, but burning and inhaling the smoke of potentially toxic mold isn't worth the risk.

The only thing you can do is throw the Cannabis away. If it was growing mold, chances are it would not have been very good smoking material anyway. Making sure that Cannabis is thoroughly dry before storing it should help prevent against mold.

Probably the primary acute danger with smoking cannabis that has molded is allergic reaction. Many molds produce chemicals and contain cells that can cause severe allergic reactions. The second danger is that a toxin produced by the mold would have a lingering damaging effect that would not be immediately identifiable. Your health is worth more than it would cost to buy more.

From Erowid

The real problem with smoking moldy bud is from inhaling the spores from the mold. Once you inhale the spores fly. That is why you shouldn't smoke it. Say if you pack it in a bowl. The spores from the moldy bud on the bottom of the bowl will be inhaled without a flame touching it. So even if you use a blow torch you would still be inhaling spores from the mold which is not good.

Anyone who purposely smokes moldy weed has no concern for their health. It can do unrepairable damage to your respiratory system and kill some with weak systems. There's a reason they don't let people live in houses that have mold in them and some of you seem to think it's alright to burn and inhale the fumes from this toxic stuff. Think about what your doing. I hate memorializing members after they pass and don't want to have to do it for any of you.

I would never do it myself......spores are very bad for your lungs and just like another type of drug that i wont mention spores can get into the lungs and start to grow causing major health problems.

Not a good idea from what i have heard and seen!!! :thedoubletake:

I wouldnt dare smoke moldy bud....I mean I have when I was younger, It gave me a bad chest cold. I do not recommend you smoke moldy bud. Throw it away.

Back
Top Bottom