PH Pen

That's cool though. There's some folks that would really appreciate that. It's definitely the biggest hurdle to getting started.
Nope told me they were sending some slaps please put them in the tent. I have a couple cheap blurples that I would like to get swapped out eventually but I'm a bigger fan of spectrum control than I am white light plus I can't buy fusion boards anymore.
They said there are stickers and posters in my package. I was like sweet I like stickers. Lol. Well turbo I’ll have to gift you my first upgrade consider it yours.

Can only be out so many times and buy so many pens before you say, No to calibration...
IMG_20180912_070331~2.jpg

Those kits work great if the user is not color-blind. And doesn't mind that the comparison chart goes in .5 increments (the pH scale is logarithmic in nature, which means, for example, that a solution with a pH of 5.0 is not .5 more acidic than one that has a pH of 5.5, it's five times more acidic). And whose nutrient solutions aren't tinted in such a way that they make it difficult to get a good reading.

On the other hand, they make nice backup items to keep in the cupboard. The batteries don't go dead, because they have no batteries, lol. No calibration needed, so the user can save... IDK, 30 seconds? Some amount of time that, over 25 years or so, is probably significant. They're not affected by nearby electric/electronic devices. I'd keep one around for emergencies if I didn't have color-perception issues.

. It's a ~$20 pH meter with a non-replaceable probe, how much is reasonable to expect :rolleyes:?

They were all I could find in my area at the time and went for $89 Canadian. Just checked their website and now they’re $69.95. If they were only $20 I would have liked them better...

Yikes, did the loonie tank or something? I didn't think to try running $20 or $25 US through a currency converter. But if yours is still comparable to ours:
Milwaukee-Instruments-PH600AQ-Tester-Calibration
71AWHWGiSkL._SL1500_.jpg

Milwaukee pH600 pH Meter Pen
205456-Milwaukee-pH-Meter-Pen-PH600-a_1.jpg

Milwaukee pH600 pH Tester With 1 Point Manual Calibration
135738.jpg.img-sq.jpg

Milwaukee/ph-meters/pocket-sized-ph-meter-ph600
ph600.jpg

That last one is $19.95, so probably no free shipping on it. And I'm not recommending any of those places, they're just some of the store webpages that appeared on the first page when I did a search for Milwaukee pH600.

And, again, if you can afford better, by all means, buy better.

I moved to a Bluelab combo meter years ago (once I finally managed to afford it) and have never looked back. Most stuff in Canada seems to cost a lot more than in the US. And ordering cross-border has its drawbacks, including customs fees and long waits. Without writing a bunch of boring explanation, I was tied to that local store at the time and not able to order online.

:passitleft:

i know that song. just looking over my lousy choices. gotta pull the trigger on something from amazon so i can hopefully plant this wkend.

well i went for the Apera ph 60. something under 50 bucks in the states. 165ish cdn after shipping, tho i added two 10 dollar bottles of storage and calibration solution. there are no deals up here lol. it's similar to the $300 pile i bought that lasted a wk locally. hope it makes it.

Wow, you folks in the Great White North would end up saving money if you rented a US Post office box and bought a motorhome.

Or found an unscrupulous store owner that was willing to stamp "Product Sample" on everything.

Ah... With the tariff war, we'll probably be paying prices like that before it's over with, too. I heard the folks at Harley Davidson decided to start manufacturing somewhere else to get around retaliatory tariffs. Afraid they won't be able to sell products in Europe, otherwise. That's called karma, LMFAO. I remember when you couldn't buy a decent motorcycle here with an engine larger than 700cc because ol' Ronnie slapped a 50% tariff on them. I guess that was easier than telling HD to remove that feature that enabled people to find their way home by following the trail of oil spots, and to install a decent set of mufflers. But I don't see what the big deal is, anyway. Harley is worried about selling across the pond, but is there really a big market in Europe for goofy-looking overpriced clothing with "Harley Davidson" printed on it :rolleyes: ?

I figure the whole thing came about because someone in DC figured out how to scam a dollar, anyway. If they really wanted to fix things, they'd have started by enforcing each and every country's import regulations on the crap they export to us. I learned that way back in high school when I read about how someone tried to sell US rowboats in Japan but couldn't because the things couldn't pass the quality-control test - which, among other things, was having about half a ton of concrete put in one and then getting dropped onto the pavement from a great height off of a crane. Surprise, they weren't much count afterwards. If we'd done that with all those cars... But what do I know, I bet every one of those SOBs are eating better than I am.

Oops, rambling. Sucks that it costs so much to buy a simple pH meter from a supposedly friendly country that you SHARE A BORDER WITH. Especially when the things are all made over in Asia and shipped to North America on slow boats in the first place. Uh... Don't you have ports up there any more, lol?

i'm too far away from a border to cross border shop or have a drop box handy. it's a huge thing in some places. something like 80% of all purchases bought or shipped through Blaine Washington are headed to Vancouver. they do a massive biz in auto parts. i belong to a couple auto forums and they are always talking about Blaine.

When it comes to tc/ppm/ph pens, for me, the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. Seriously, as long as you take a moment to calibrate them with a good set of known calibration solutions they will work just as well as all those crazy expensive ones.

When it comes to tc/ppm/ph pens, for me, the cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. Seriously, as long as you take a moment to calibrate them with a good set of known calibration solutions they will work just as well as all those crazy expensive ones.

that last one was fubar out of the box. did not get to use it once. it would not calibrate.

they don't ship with storage solution, and will often sit in warehouse situations for extended periods, making the sensor bulbs prone to fail. a cheap one where you are may be an option, but it becomes a roll of the dice for anyone further out from the source.

What you say is true

Till they don’t anymore. :(

Then, before I knew what had happened, I fried an entire room full of plants.
Not arguing your point really, it’s true that they should be just as accurate while they work. And I was more of a newbie back in my ph pen days. Maybe I could have taken care of them better and had a better backup.
I just came to the conclusion that no money saved is worth it, when so much damage incurs after your ph tester goes crazy.

I found out about two weeks into my first grow that those cheap pens were garbage so decided to spend the money and this is my pride and joy.
3BB92CBF-C386-4097-851E-24969E85E6BA.jpeg

Calibration is easy I’ve had it for a year and only needed to do it once. It tells you when it needs to be calibrated. I love it and will probably never need another.

Jealous lol.

something along those lines was my dream tester. just didn't have the funds.

If you ever can splurge for it I recommend it.

will post up a pic and review of the tester i got. :)

if anyone else rolls across this thread i'd encourage them to do so as well. would be nice to keep this thread alive for others grappling with the same question.

relevant info to include would be cost, accuracy, where / how it was purchased, ease of calibration etc.

this is the Apera ph60 i got. this is a stand alone ph tester and does not have ec / tds function.

full

cost was $85ish cdn plus about ten bucks shipping so call it $95 cdn to the door. arrived in decent condition, probe cover had moisture protecting the probe still, and it came with a decent bit of schwag.

full

protective storage case, 7.0 / 4.0 calibration fluid, lanyard, and some storage solution. the testing bottles will stand in the case making calibration easier. there is a neat storage sleeve in the lid of the case which has the owners manual, and nice laminated cheat sheet for working with the unit.

all the supplied solutions are enough to get going, but will need to be replenished over time. it's handy they are all together tho. a nice touch would have been the addition of a third sample test bottle. set up menus were easy enough to navigate and i had the unit set up the way i like in just a couple minutes. it has a hold function, and back lit screen option.

calibration was easy and the unit has 1, 2, or 3 point calibration. factory calibration was probably close enough out of the case, but i did it anyway to familiarize myself with the process. use is straightforward, and there is a neat little stable ph indicator to let you know the unit has settled on a ph value.

it declares itself waterproof, but in reality is more water resistant . the top battery cover might survive the first soak, but i wouldn't be so confident in a good dunk. it came with batteries installed. the probe is replaceable and the tester can be set up for different substances.

a couple cons:

full

the sensor bulb is super exposed on this tester, which is another reason a third sample testing bottle would have been real handy. i am super sensitive to busting sensor bulbs lol. i wouldn't be swilling this thing around a reservoir willy nilly, and would recommend pulling a sample and testing safely in another container.

while the case etc is nice, in reality you would need all the stuff it includes for long-term ph pen ownership anyway. so you could probably save some bucks if you can source just the tester alone. good set up for someone wanting an all-in-one kit to get started tho.

all in all not a bad value. will have to see how it performs over time. hope someone finds this useful.

please post up your own ph and ec / tds testers and your experience with them.

i also had some interesting results testing against cheaper units if anyone is curious.

Back
Top Bottom