Plants are sick - Can I restart a new grow in the soil my current sick plants are in?

popolino77

my plants are exactly 16 days old above soul and are very small for there age and yesterday i nutrient burned them. i want to pull them out and start over. can i reuse the soil my current sick plants are in ? and if yes i just added the nutrients that burnt my plants yesterday do i have to flush the soil and how do i do it ?

Re: plants are sick. can i restart a new grow in the soil my current sick plants are

just let them be popo... pulling them out and plopping them in new soil is going to stress them so badly that you will definitely stunt them, and possibly kill a few in the process. It is not worth it.

Since you insist on messing with them... try a flush. Run 3x the container size in water through them... that will rinse out your nutes. It will also soak your soil and you will actually have to sit on your hands and do nothing for days afterward, letting them dry out before watering again.

You have the ability to do so many things to a plant during a day because you move 1000x faster than they do.... but that doesn't mean that you should. To grow plants successfully, you have to also learn to be patient. Patience is needed above all else. If you keep hovering over these plants, doing this or that, several times a day, you are going to kill them. Anytime you get a wild idea and want to try something with your plant, even as simple as watering them... wait a day... see if it still seems like a good idea then.

Re: plants are sick. can i restart a new grow in the soil my current sick plants are

just let them be popo... pulling them out and plopping them in new soil is going to stress them so badly that you will definitely stunt them, and possibly kill a few in the process. It is not worth it.

Since you insist on messing with them... try a flush. Run 3x the container size in water through them... that will rinse out your nutes. It will also soak your soil and you will actually have to sit on your hands and do nothing for days afterward, letting them dry out before watering again.

You have the ability to do so many things to a plant during a day because you move 1000x faster than they do.... but that doesn't mean that you should. To grow plants successfully, you have to also learn to be patient. Patience is needed above all else. If you keep hovering over these plants, doing this or that, several times a day, you are going to kill them. Anytime you get a wild idea and want to try something with your plant, even as simple as watering them... wait a day... see if it still seems like a good idea then.

no i meant i want to pull the plants out and throw them away and plant new seeds in the same soil. can i do that and if yes should i flush the soil ?

no i meant i want to pull the plants out and throw them away and plant new seeds in the same soil. can i do that and if yes should i flush the soil ?

why would you want to do that? you were told they would recover just fine, and how to deal with the nutes. Sure, you can do that if you like, but what do you learn from giving up?

why would you want to do that? you were told they would recover just fine, and how to deal with the nutes. Sure, you can do that if you like, but what do you learn from giving up?
you are rite . i think i figured out why they were not growing. i looked on the plastic trays i put my flower pots on for the water to drain out of and they were clean and dry so i took a tooth pick and stuck it in the drainage holes of my flower pots and wiggled it around so water would drain out of the pots better. do you think my plants were not growing because there was no water draining out of my flower pots ?

you are rite . i think i figured out why they were not growing. i looked on the plastic trays i put my flower pots on for the water to drain out of and they were clean and dry so i took a tooth pick and stuck it in the drainage holes of my flower pots and wiggled it around so water would drain out of the pots better. do you think my plants were not growing because there was no water draining out of my flower pots ?

yes, that is very likely. I have the same problem in my 5 gallon buckets right now... the super soil at the bottom was compressed to the point that flow through was restricted a bit. My first watering refused to flow out of the bottom, until I really overloaded them.. and then I had a gush of water hitting my drip trays... you should have seen me with that turkey baster getting water out of there as fast as I could, with 220v electricity all around me. It was a stressful evening when that happened.

As your roots get stronger, they will do as mine have done, and they break those blockages up. Watering now is more normal, and I get the expected drainage when I water. Just be patient... this will happen in your container too... and with each successful wet/dry cycle, it just gets better and better.

Ye ya should be fine now you have made some drainage holes :thumb:

What over watering does or the lack of drainage is that it can cause Anaerobic conditions aka lack of air to the root zone, ye roots need air also, normally takes several days or more to effect growth !

This minor problem & now hopefully fixed to which it may take a few to several days at best to allow to dry out for growth to commence.

But i would like to point out a simple method & that is to learn the pot weight test, when watered to when dry two very different weight values all together... just a simple observation at the end of the day.

It is just a fine line to learn when to water / feed to size of pot & plant size over the period of growing & really is watch 'n' learn !

@Popo , i would not recommend using soil that was over nutrated (flushing might help) ..... nor would i use old soil because the plant has used up the nutrients in that soil ....... if you are going to start from scratch , start from scratch ! pics might help also :goodluck:

I'm trying not to be "that guy", but you REALLY NEED TO START A JOURNAL.
You are asking the same, or similar questions on multiple threads you've started. That makes it frustrating for those us us who want to help you. All those 14 topics could have been in a single journal. You would get better, more consistent help. At some point it comes across like the boy who called wolf. Start enough threads with the same questions and some of us will give up trying to sort through what's going on, what you've done and what advice you've been given. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you are not helping yourself going this route and we want you to succeed.

Re: Plants are sick - Can I restart a new grow in the soil my current sick plants are

Thoes plants are in bad shape i watered them today and they burnt more, i started 2 new seeds i planted one not germinated and the other one i am germinating. i bought x2 2 gallon flower pots that have holes all over them the guy who works at my local gardening supply store recommended them. I filled one of the pots up with the rest of the black gold soil i had and i mixed in prelite, the other flower pot i filled with fox farm happy frog and mixed in prelite, as for those plants that are in bad shape i am giving them another day under my lights and if i dont see any improvement i will try to grow them on my patio outside.

Back
Top Bottom