Popcorn Bud As Main Cola?

elunex

I'm busy growing some Alien OG and Ogre indoors, they're both under 20/4 (autoflowers) and in a tent with heat steadily between 22'C and 25'C. The Alien OG is showing signs of a large cola forming on the main cola, while the Ogre shows no signs of good bud development, instead the plant (which has gone through LST), shows a number of tiny popcorn bud nodes, even on the main cola.

They are both in week 3 of flower now, so there's still time for buds to develop. But just based off of the pistil development, the Ogre seems like it's going to lack any real strong bud development. The pistils on the Ogre (which is a 7 week flower), are already turning orange, yet the buds just simply aren't there.

They are both under a 1000W and 300W LED in a 1.4 x 1.4m tent.

The buds on the Ogre are no bigger than one's thumb, despite already showing a fair bit of trichome frosting on the leaves. Is this a case of me simply needing to give it more time, or is there something that I should be doing differently to help it in the last month of flowering.

They are being fed with nutrients and are otherwise very healthy looking plants.

The first image is a closeup while the second was taken a few days ago and shows more of the plant. I'll take some better pictures later of the main cola stem. But the close up is of the top of the main cola, yet there aren't really additional pistils reaching up from the cola stem looking to joint it and create a solid nug, instead just a couple of additional popcorn buds on the nodes under it.

20180723_122100.jpg
20180716_130541.jpg

Looks healthy and normal....those are the beginning of your buds...they'll get bigger...:)

Ignore the whole timeline thing....breeders timelines mean nothing. Grow her until she is done, and you will know that by the buds having 80%+ brown pistils and trichomes looking cloudy (with some amber if you prefer). Invest in a cheap ($10) loupe...only real way to see trichomes.

Looks healthy and normal....those are the beginning of your buds...they'll get bigger...:)

Ignore the whole timeline thing....breeders timelines mean nothing. Grow her until she is done, and you will know that by the buds having 80%+ brown pistils and trichomes looking cloudy (with some amber if you prefer). Invest in a cheap ($10) loupe...only real way to see trichomes.

Thank you for the response, appreciate it. This is only my second grow, and my first one was Lemon Haze, so I am used to seeing large pistils stretching up the cola from early in flower and then filling out from there.

That's a relief :)

Thank you for the response, appreciate it. This is only my second grow, and my first one was Lemon Haze, so I am used to seeing large pistils stretching up the cola from early in flower and then filling out from there.

Every strain is different...was Lemon Haze an auto?

That's a relief :)
Just for perspective... I had a Auto 60 day Lemon flower 10.5 weeks and I'm pretty sure I still chopped her early. Just let them ladies do their thing and you'll be happier in the end.

-P:ganjamon:

All strains grow and flower different. They way they build buds, how big, and what shape those buds will be. Some strains make huge colas. While others have bunches of smaller buds. Some of the best strain's there have small buds and don't produce very well. Main reason that now even with selfing you don't see Purple Erkle seeds. That plant takes forever to grow, doesn't grow well and doesn't produce worth a shit. It has also been one of the highest priced Oz's ever.
Don't discount small buds LOL.

Since my post earlier in the week, the plant hasn't developed any real larger buds, but the popcorn buds have matured rapidly... filling out a bit. But more unusually, I took a macro lens to check the trichomes and there are already a large number of amber trichomes.

Things are still very very early into the flowering cycle, but looking at the trichomes, it's already time to flush (if not a little late).

Is it possible that because the buds are very small, that they have matured faster than it would have with big nugs.

kk.jpg

IMG_20180728_101932_822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom