Hey all! There are some tap roots starting to come out of the bottom of the starter cubes on some of them. Skywalker was the first I think because it's the longest. Should see a few break the surface tomorrow. I was going to grow them initially in small pots with clay pebbles in for the first few weeks but I've lost my capillary matting and I don't like the thought of hand watering clay pebbles. I did it with my 4 blue dream clones and it was hard work. It dries out very quickly and if you over water to compensate then the risk of root rot is huge. So, I was gifted some 3" rockwool cubes that my starter cubes will fit into. .sort of. I need to make the hole a tiny bit wider then they'll fit. I was wondering if anyone has kept young veg plants in these cubes for any period of time. I'm hoping that I can keep them in them for about 4-5 weeks. They'll be trimmed and kept small if they do decide to take off after week 2-3. Well that's all for now. Bit of a slow start I know but things are just about to wake up. Happy growing everyone :peace:
I have kept vegging plants in 4" by 4" blocks for that long by placing them on top of a screen to keep the roots above air so that they keep inside the rock wool instead of creeping out the bottom and to the side.

I have kept vegging plants in 4" by 4" blocks for that long by placing them on top of a screen to keep the roots above air so that they keep inside the rock wool instead of creeping out the bottom and to the side.
That's a good idea. Cheers AtmozFear

Let me know how this one goes... had a horrible experience with Reserva Privada's Sour Diesel
I've only tried to grow 1 of their strains before and it didn't have any leaves. What I mean is that when it popped it had no growth inbetween the cotelydons. It was weird. It was just there not growing or doing anything. Only seen it once out of hundreds of seeds. It was their strawberry banana. I've had great success with DNA though :)

I've only tried to grow 1 of their strains before and it didn't have any leaves. What I mean is that when it popped it had no growth inbetween the cotelydons. It was weird. It was just there not growing or doing anything. Only seen it once out of hundreds of seeds. It was their strawberry banana. I've had great success with DNA though :)
Thanks! That same exact thing happened to me once with a feminized Kilimanjaro from World of Seeds. It sat there with its cotyledons happy and healthy, and didn't go any further.

Hey 420! They are starting to grow faster now and won't be too long before they get topped. I'm going to be giving them more direct light soon because they will want it. at the moment they are a bit shared in the corner of the auto tent. As soon as my auto tent finishes up I'll be putting these babies under the big lights for a few weeks before they are moved to the flowering tent. I'm probably going to have to do a bit of work to them to keep them from taking off. I may remove their leaves around about week 3-4 in order to deliberately stunt them. They mustn't be allowed to get too big otherwise they'll never fit in the tent. Keepin 10 plants from seed small is more tricky than from clone in my opinion. The girls are still currently feeding at 0.3 and I'll push that up again in the next couple day. They are definitely drinking more now and I'll be expecting to be feeding every couple of days rather than once a week like I am at the moment. All in all I'm happy with progress so far. There's been no issues which is nice, I'll save them for later! Time for some pics :)
IMG_20180924_191150_hdr.jpg
IMG_20180924_191137_hdr.jpg
IMG_20180924_191127_hdr.jpg

All looking good professor, this is going to be really interesting with all these strains under 200w. Mind if I hang around?
Of course my friend. It would be my pleasure. Lol, it's going to be interesting trying to keep an even canopy! The coverage will be good if I can keep them around 2ft tall. Should make for some good entertainment :)

I'm looking forward to this, I hope you smash it. All those different strains you are definitely going to have your hands full. Double black sounds interesting.

Hey 420! Basically I made an error! Me being an imbecile totally allowed for the ph to go off course. The last 2 times that I've watered them I didn't allow for any run off so the notes have been building up which in turn has allowed for the ph to go down. It would appear to be a phosphorus deficiency. Not to worry though because it's easy to fix and it looks much worse than it is. When I first saw them though I thought that the dreaded mold had returned and caused root rot! Quick question. Does anybody know if taking the plastic wrap off the cubes is a good idea? I would prefer air to dry them out from the sides a bit more rather than having them sweat in plastic and retaining water for longer. Or is there something that I'm overlooking that makes this a bad idea? I also did another tiny mistake! I topped all of the ladies but on 2 of them I chopped off more than I had planned. I put this down to my amazing vision.....Or because I'm an idiot! The Cheese Dog Haze and my Gorrilla Glue X White Widow where both topped a node below where I actually wanted to make the cut. Never mind, they still have some branches. Well that's all for today. I'm going to be updating this journal daily from now on because I'm not so busy at last. Happy growing everyone :)

Hey 420! I removed all their main leaves! Now they look a bit silly lol. Don't worry, they'll be growing like crazy this time next week. Basically I wanted to slow them down a bit and also change their growth pattern. I've found in the past that if you remove most of their leaves then they get tighter nodes, become less stretchy and more bushy. By my calculations they will be in these cubes for another 3 weeks at least before I bury the cubes in clay pebbles which brings me to my next problem. Algae! Like i said, 3 weeks is a long time and I don't want the algae to compete with my plants roots. Under normal circumstances algae is pretty harmless but there is time for It grow and engulf the Rockwood cubes. Once they're transplanted the algae won't be a problem anymore because it will be starved of light and the leaves will create natural shade which will also help but until then.....maybe I'll try to create some shades out of card that I can slot over the cubes. Well I'll report back tomorrow on what's happening with the minor issues I have at the moment. Happy growing everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom