Putting 1 gal coco pot into larger soil pot

richdoh1

Hi everyone, I started some plants in coco and they are currently in 1 gal pots with mothers earth coco/perlite mix. It is time for me to move them into a larger pot but I would like to switch them over to soil. I would like to put them into a 3 gal pots of Happy frog. Does anyone have any experience doing this and how it might work? I'm assuming the problem is going to be the water/nute retention in the different media. Any suggestions or info would be very helpful.

The process is easy enough, but can we see a few pics of what we are working with?? Helps to see plant size & color to confirm what’s up

plastic container, support the plant & top of the soil, turn it upside down & slide the container off…

fabric smart pots, set the grow bag on a columnar shape like big coffee can, slide the bag down

prep new container with soil, add mycos or real growers recharge, score the rootball with sterile razor knife and/or loosen up the roots and let some of the old coco fall away. water it in

don’t jump based on my word tonight but wait until a few more replies come in, we should have you hooked up with more info ready for tomoz.

I‘m going to ask @Bill284 to weigh in also have you read Emilyas’ articles on “How to water a Potted Plant“? BRB with link > > How to water a potted plant

welcome aboard

818A8AC6-18F9-4CC9-903B-A86830932938.jpeg

They are 1 gal plastic pots and they were gonna go into 3 gal plastic pots. I don’t have any recharge but I do have fish shit and Canna Rhizotonic I can use to stimulate the roots. Or should I pick up some recharge?

Hi everyone, I started some plants in coco and they are currently in 1 gal pots with mothers earth coco/perlite mix. It is time for me to move them into a larger pot but I would like to switch them over to soil. I would like to put them into a 3 gal pots of Happy frog. Does anyone have any experience doing this and how it might work? I'm assuming the problem is going to be the water/nute retention in the different media. Any suggestions or info would be very helpful.
Good morning my friend.
Thanks for the tag 013, hope you are well Amigo.
Ok the issue with mixing the 2 is the different ph required.
I'd pop those beauties out of the pots and rinse them.
Get a 5 gal pale of water.
Gently rinse the Coco that comes off easily.
Then plant into your soil.
That should let them feed at 6.3 without problems. :thumb:
3 gal the final pot?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I would pop them out of the 1 gallon pots. Treat just like if transplanting from soil to soil or coco to coco. The process will be the same. Whatever coco coir falls off the root mass is OK and not a problem. Stick the plant into the new 3 gallon pot and add new soil around the root ball, or whatever is done when transplanting. Tamp new soil down a bit. Water as needed. The roots should grow into the soil before long.

The area where the coco meets the soil should not be any different than what happens when people mix coco into their soil. Not sure that there will be any concern with the pH of water, unless it is way off and at one extreme end or the other, since the new roots will be into the soil.

Could transplant one of the two. Watch the plant in the new soil for 5 to 7 days. If nothing out of the ordinary starts to happen then do the second.

I was starting to type a similar response! 👍

I think it's a good transition... the roots will adapt/grow-into the soil. Some myco in the hole would be good. This is actually the exact situation when I plant my clones... they are in a coir/perlite mix with light nutes, going into 1 gal with living soil. I leave most of the coir intact... just remove a little of the loose stuff above the roots.

Back
Top Bottom