Pyramid Purple & DNA Chocolope Under CFL - 2nd Grow

hey man looks great. my suggestion would be to put the light thats over the bio diesel higher up and the plant should stretch to get it self closer to the light. crazy how compact it is. will be hard to work with if she doesnt stretch a little. good work though

Thanks stopping in guys. Much appreciated.
I'm going to give her a water and MYKOS only feed for the next one. Hopefully that'l freshen her up a bit.

Does anyone think I need to add Cal mag or anything? Or mollasses?

I also would like to slowly remove some fans so I can get my lights closer to bud sites.

Any thoughts on this?

Peace all.

-J.

Looking good. In my very limited experience, every leaf/nute issue I have had was due to my crappy pH pen needing calibration. I'd check that first and if your pH is straight back off on the nutes a bit. When I had those brown spots it was due to me dripping the nutes over the plants by accident and putting them right back under the lights.

I actually don't have a PH pen to be honest. I use the drops so I have no idea what my soil PH is, I just adjust my water to 6.3-6.4 and hope my soil follows suit..

My missus doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to try get past the hydro shop today and get another 125w 2700k.. Hehe.

I'm thinking about flipping the lights on Choco coz she's just getting too big already. She'l probably triple in size when I do the flip to 12/12 so I want to start it early.. Thoughts?

Cheers.

-J.

Also, here's my Purple at day 40, you can see where I took this node of leaves off because they were intent on stroking the globes..

IMAG0754_1.jpg

This is where I could get away with crimping them so they'd stay down.

IMAG0755_1.jpg

I'm considering taking this annoying little shoot off(and maybe trying to clone it.. :p ) so I can get better LP and so the plant can focus on the more important areas of growth. What are people's thoughts on this plan?

IMAG0756_1.jpg

Any advice welcomed. ;)

-J.

Those buds leaves look like they need a flushing. Flush her a few times and then feed again.
Molasses is always good to use :)

I would ponder side lighting. Its seems to be seeking more Lumens, but then I think CO2 and more lumens can fix most issues... :volcano-smiley:

oh, and I posted pictures of Baggy on my stream. I went ahead and grabbed it and took a couple of quick one for you.

So do you mean you don't think having lights on the side is helpful? I agree I do need more lumens, I just haven't figured out how I'm going to switch Choco to 12/12 with Purple on 18/6.. I'm afraid I'm going to need to rearrange my whole set up and swap my Biodiesel Auto with my Chocky so both autos are together. Only problem then is I only have one large 2700k light..I need to put some serious thought into it today.

Also, what's the big hype with CO2? Is just giving them a cone or two every now and again good enough? :blunt: Maybe I should try and make a baasic CO2 generator somehow..

Those buds leaves look like they need a flushing. Flush her a few times and then feed again.
Molasses is always good to use :)

Sphnx, I just read up on molasses and it seems like I should get absolute rid of these flying beasts before using molasses. Seems like they might love it as well? I really don't know what to do about them. I only water every three or 4 days, always with a few drops of dish soap, a few drops of hydrogen peroxide(which I will talk more about in a moment) and then their nutes with occasionally a sprinkle of trio-bac.. I was really hoping to be rid of them before serious budding started so(as they are) they wouldn't get stuck in them..

Onto the Hydrogen peroxide, I just thought I'd have a quick squiz at the ingredients and I think I have been foolish. It's my girl's stuff for her hair dressing when she bleaches a client's hair. I didn't think of it but here is the ingredients.. Are some of those as bad as they sound?

IMAG0759_1.jpg

:thanks: :420: :Namaste:

I'd just go to CVS or whatever and get regular Hydrogen Peroxide... That stuff might be too intense. Plus it has other ingredients in it... My gut says no.

Hey there Jesstar!

So I figured I would stop by and give my 2 cents on your questions!

So firstly; Which of your ladies are Auto's is escaping me right now... However I will say that you CAN keep Autos on a 18/6 light cycle while they flower. They are going to do their thing regardless of you, so if you need to veg your Photo-period ladies longer I don't think it would be an issue if you kept your Auto's under an 18/6 light cycle while your Photo-period's finish up.

Going off that; If you are having issues lighting your grow space, CFL Light Hoods can be made rather easily and inexpensively... and (if made correctly) are super efficient. Not to toot my own horn, but if you need a quick example of one, check out the first page of my current grow journal, cost me under $100 and puts out 16,000 lumens. Another example that comes to mind is HunterNitro's vegging set up, even simpler than mine.​

About cloning Purple; Totally up to you, it would offer you the opportunity to get a lot of hands on experience cloning, rooting, and revegging a mature plant, which is extremely useful. Plus you'll have a new plant ready to go for your next grow!

About Co2; Basically the big hype here is that a enclosed Co2 system offers your plants a much more ideal environment to grow in, meaning healthier (better) plants. This is because Co2 (promotes growth) is constantly being released into the grow room (and in an optimal grow room, there is enough ventilation to move said Co2 around) and is replacing the used air that the plants are producing...

Going off that; A true enclosed Co2 system isn't very realistic in your set-up without completely enclosing your space and achieving a negative pressure system inside... HOWEVER there are smaller much more economical Co2 set ups available.

Such as this one...
Exhale3.jpg

They run anywhere from $20 to $40 and can be found online or at grow stores, you just let it sit in the corner and do its thing! You might look into that if you want to experiment with Co2.​

On your Gnats; I'm sorry you have to deal with those little *$&#er's.... You seem like you know how to fix the problem, however I would definitely find a small corner pharmacy/grocery type store and find some 3% First Aid Hydrogen Peroxide. It is pure Hydrogen Peroxide and Purified Water, totally okay for your ladies.

Here is what I have in my bathroom cabinet.
HydPyr1.jpg

Keep applying how you have been. You also might consider a layer of Gardening Sand to put on the top of your pots instead of that airy perlite. This will stop the mother Gnats from burrowing and laying eggs in your soil. Which you should only be watering when it is dry.. Gnats absolutely love wet soil.

And Lastly! Molasses; This stuff is awesome, Unsulfured Blackstrap Molasses is often used in Cannabis Horticulture and helps naturally sweeten the flowers, as well as providing essential minerals. Most name brand flushing agents have basically the same ingredients as Blackstrap Molasses.

It's use varies widely and each grower has their own uses for it. Some use it starting in Veg, some starting in Flower, others not until Late Flower, some in between Nutrient Waterings, and some only for Pre-Flushing/Flushing...

I am not sure the effects it will have on your Gnat problem unfortunately, however if you do get that under control... I would definitely recommend trying Blackstrap Molasses in one way or another! It is usually dosed anywhere from 1 TSPN to 1 TBSP per Gallon of water.

I hope this helps, I am still learning new things all the time and sharing information I have gathered helps me do just that! You're doing a great job man, keep it up.

Thanks MaxYield! Some very reassuring feedback. I just did a bit of a move around and I'm hoping it will provide good results. I added another few globes and a small fan sitting in one corner to move the air around.

I also got a bug zapper that I have chillin just by the grow room. Just after lights out I left the doors open, lights off and zapper on and closed the door. If was like popcorn cooking.. Haha.

I'll post some updated pics tomoz. In the meantime I'm slowly dialing the light hours down by an hour and a half a day. Purple will just have to live with it.. :p

Cheers all.

-J.

Ok guys, pretty happy with this update.
I've started dialing down the hours Purps and Chox are under light. I'm going to bring them down to 12/12 slowly so as not to shock little purps too much. I hope this still starts Chocky on flower..

Here's what my area looks like now, notice tiny fan moving the air, that's right by the intake holes in the cabinet. Lights are more uniform in height now creating a slightly more even blanket of light instead of bright spots and dark corners.

IMAG07676.jpg

My cheap ass PH meter and moisture meter seem to work very well. If The PH meter is accurate, my soil is between 6.3 and 6.4. Perfect.

Here's Purple is her beginning glory. I realllllly want to see some actual purple on her soon, even though that's not exactly my TOP priority as long as smokes' tasty.

IMAG076311.jpg
IMAG076210.jpg
IMAG07658.jpg

Annonyingly(but unsurprisingly) Chocolope is just stretching like a mo fo due to the lighting change. I really want her on 12/12. She's going to be a monster at this rate!

IMAG07668.jpg

BioDiesel Mass is fairly unchanged, just getting more developed. I raised the light a touch to get some stretch and its worked enough so I lowered it again.. Haha.

Yeah, pretty happy with how the girls are going. Thinking of attempting a clone one that long shoot on Choco, just sure what to do with it if I succeed.. haha. I decided to leave Purps alone for the time being..

Cheers all.

-J.

Happy new year everybody! Yay! I made it through 2014! :p

So here we have an update for the new year.
I :wood: have got my gnat problem under control. I only see the odd one here and there, I'm going to continue treating to hopefully fully eradicate the buggers. Annoyingly they had plenty of time to get themselves tangled up in some of the buds. :( Very upset about that, due to all the sprays I've been using(only a H2O2 + dishsoap mix and Pyrethrum + chilli + garlic mix) I'll be trying out the bud washing technique. Never done it before and it seems absurd but people seem to have success with it so I'll give it a whirl. I hope it gets the bugs out as well as dust and chemicals..

ANYWAY, onto some pickys hey?
Here's Purple @ 45 days. Breeder website says "Flower: 8 weeks". This I'm not sure about, does it mean seed to flower in 8 weeks or beginning of flower to harvest is 8 weeks or from sprout to flower in 8 weeks......? I don't know. Bonzaseeds.com where I got them(very good service, would recommend for sure) has "Flower time: 70 Days" on their site so I took that to mean from sprout. This gives me until the 28th of this month.. 26 more days. Can anyone advise if this sounds reasonable based on what we can see? I pulled out my 30x loupe and the trichys still look clear although an extra 10x magnification would be noice..

IMAG07888.jpg
IMAG07907.jpg
IMAG07897.jpg
IMAG07916.jpg

I couldn't decide which of these three I liked the most so... Sorry..

IMAG08027.jpg
IMAG08009.jpg
IMAG07988.jpg

Lady Chocolope NEEDS to start flowering, do her stretch thing and STOPPPP. :p She's now the same height as Purps and hasn't started budding..

IMAG078710.jpg

Here's something a bit sunny and exciting. When I was looking on ebay for a tent a month or two back I stumbled on this cheap little LED panel and bought it without thinking too much about it. I'd forgotten about it until Tuesday when it came in the mail! Haha. I made up a little wire harness, not having high hopes(as it's a 9w 196 LED panel) and it works great! Very bright in relation to what I was expecting. I didn't know how to test the spectrum or anything to see if it actually going to do any good so I just stuck it over my little BioDiesel Mass to see what would happen.. Doesn't seem like much at this stage. Today is the morning of day 3 under the LED, I was expecting a good or bad response by now..

IMAG07978.jpg
IMAG07946.jpg

What's the words, Hummingbird's?

-J.

Hey bro,

this is advice is worth what you paid for it... Flower time = 12/12 time. So, if you vegged a plant for 30 days, and then put it into 12/12 for 1 month... you are only 30 days into flower, even though you are 60 days from seed. This is if you are growing a photo plant. I have no idea what Autos do.

Well why not a Monday update, 420'ers?? There's been some changes..

Purple is looking juicy though still slow and still showing signs of too much (N). Still, none the less she buddles are starting to look like they might meet up after all..

IMAG08198.jpg
IMAG08208.jpg
IMAG08217.jpg

Chocolope was stretching like a crazy cat after just two 12/12 nights and I had to make some serious decisions.. I topped/ FIM'd her again and then applied some LST-HST to hold her down. This is after a couple of days, she seems to be reacting very well to the shock of it. Also did a light defol to expose little shoots..

IMAG08235.jpg
IMAG08269.jpg
IMAG08277.jpg

BioDiesel Mass has not loved the LED. :( Kind of not surprising. I think I'll stick to what I know for now. I put her back under her CFL buddy and after half a light period she looks better.. Shame. I'm wondering if maybe the LED panel will be more useful for flowering. Since this poor plant is already going to be disgustingly stunted maybe I'll try it again in flower time..

IMAG08189.jpg

Finally, here's one of the deformed leaved from Choco after my first failed FIM attempt.. ;)

14204542719401640835581.jpg

Peace ya'll! I'm just melting my way through a 44C day here. Bahhhh!

-J.

Might want to do some FIM or LST or some kind of training on them especially the tall growing sativa chocolope. I like to keen them short to use the light more efficiently - especially with LEDs and cfls that do not penetrate deep.
Take a look at my journal in my sig to see.

Might want to do some FIM or LST or some kind of training on them especially the tall growing sativa chocolope. I like to keen them short to use the light more efficiently - especially with LEDs and cfls that do not penetrate deep.
Take a look at my journal in my sig to see.

Did you actually read my last post, bro?

Back
Top Bottom