Question about last minute trichs

Remystemple

You know how some growers will stab the stems, or feed ice water, or leave in the dark for 3 days, or not feed or whatever they do to produce that extra burst of trich production at the very end of flowering?

I'm just wondering how if these extra trichs are ripe when they come in? i mean if they just come in clear and i chop 2 days later is there really a point? or how does it work if they have no time to change to cloudy or amber?

You know how some growers will stab the stems, or feed ice water, or leave in the dark for 3 days, or not feed or whatever they do to produce that extra burst of trich production at the very end of flowering?

I'm just wondering how if these extra trichs are ripe when they come in? i mean if they just come in clear and i chop 2 days later is there really a point? or how does it work if they have no time to change to cloudy or amber?
I’ve tried all these techniques and more and never got any noticeable increased trich production. I personally don’t believe a plant can take several weeks worth of growth and replicate it overnight (or in just three nights), but you never know, I’d love to be proven wrong!

:passitleft:

I can't buy into that either at all, as folks go off about folks harvesting a week early as the trichs not mature yet. So how does it throw out mature trichs in a matter of a few days if it takes weeks to ripen? ;) :rofl: But unlike DrDoob I haven't tried most of those as an experiment, though I have other experiments I have done like not seeing a ton of difference in quality of bud dried and smoked and bud cured for a month, but that just me and my own experiences and "your results may vary" ;) :rofl:......but a "too each their own" kinda thing for sure.

I have done extensive experiments on this and I have determined that it is always in my best interest to use these techniques at the end. Whether it be a nail in the trunk or a slit or 36 hours of darkness at the end right before the chop, something does indeed happen if you convince the plant that this is indeed the end of its world.
To dispel part of the myth surrounding this practice however, let me state that I have never seen additional trichomes come in because of this process. That as expressed above, is a silly idea, and logic informs us that if NEW trichomes were somehow developed, that a day and a half in darkness is not enough time to fully develop, fill in and mature these trichs. What actually happens is that existing trichomes get longer... noticeably longer, and thicker. Also, a significant number of the trichs that went into the end stage process as cloudy, come out as amber. I have seen the amber percentage go from around 2% when I pull to 5-10% after the death threat.
Furthermore, it seems that trichomes degrade every single day that they are in the light, and they are enhanced and fill in during the dark. Knowing that light degrades the trichomes, when it is time to pull, putting them in that 36 hours of darkness also keeps the trichomes from degrading during that time as they would during the normal day/night cycle, and that extra bit of darkness, indeed never letting my buds see full direct light ever again, does seem to make a huge difference in end point quality. I was a skeptic, as I am about most things, but carefully controlled side by side tests have convinced me that there is definitely something to this, hence all the old wive's tales about it. You all should try a test yourselves next time you are harvesting two identical plants... see what you think... I have been convinced.

Berry-D'licious No AACT Organic - Grow Journal
Pineapple Chunk Mega Crop Test - Grow Journal

I have done extensive experiments on this and I have determined that it is always in my best interest to use these techniques at the end. Whether it be a nail in the trunk or a slit or 36 hours of darkness at the end right before the chop, something does indeed happen if you convince the plant that this is indeed the end of its world.
To dispel part of the myth surrounding this practice however, let me state that I have never seen additional trichomes come in because of this process. That as expressed above, is a silly idea, and logic informs us that if NEW trichomes were somehow developed, that a day and a half in darkness is not enough time to fully develop, fill in and mature these trichs. What actually happens is that existing trichomes get longer... noticeably longer, and thicker. Also, a significant number of the trichs that went into the end stage process as cloudy, come out as amber. I have seen the amber percentage go from around 2% when I pull to 5-10% after the death threat.
Furthermore, it seems that trichomes degrade every single day that they are in the light, and they are enhanced and fill in during the dark. Knowing that light degrades the trichomes, when it is time to pull, putting them in that 36 hours of darkness also keeps the trichomes from degrading during that time as they would during the normal day/night cycle, and that extra bit of darkness, indeed never letting my buds see full direct light ever again, does seem to make a huge difference in end point quality. I was a skeptic, as I am about most things, but carefully controlled side by side tests have convinced me that there is definitely something to this, hence all the old wive's tales about it. You all should try a test yourselves next time you are harvesting two identical plants... see what you think... I have been convinced.

Fantastic explanation, and correction of what i thought folks were going for. this makes it seem not so crazy to try these tricks. I'm gonna try the nail, and 8/16 for the last 3 or 4 days.

Thanks

I agree that to expect more trichs by doing something in the last few days is likely futile.
What I do to increase them may be just as futile, but what I do is use a lot of Triacontanol. It's the active ingredient in Humbolt's Own Snow Storm, which promises increased trichrome production. The stuff is darn cheap on eBay.

I agree that to expect more trichs by doing something in the last few days is likely futile.
What I do to increase them may be just as futile, but what I do is use a lot of Triacontanol. It's the active ingredient in Humbolt's Own Snow Storm, which promises increased trichrome production. The stuff is darn cheap on eBay.
Triacontanol is just a bad ass growth hormone for plants period.

protip:
you should try some on your roses or begonias ;)

Triacontanol is just a bad ass growth hormone for plants period.

protip:
you should try some on your roses or begonias ;)
Yes it is, I know I could go organic and get some alfalfa. But I'll just let the Chinese extract the stuff out of the alfalfa and buy the pearly flakes of it. Heck of a lot less mess :thumb:

Check out these recent results of a side by side test of 48 hours in the dark... he was convinced!

Check out these recent results of a side by side test of 48 hours in the dark... he was convinced!
Great post! So it appears just drying out is not the only thing needed; but the addition of airflow is a must.

I find saying 10 hail marys on the sunday prior to harvest produces the most trichs

I find saying 10 hail marys on the sunday prior to harvest produces the most trichs

This ^^^^ - should be proven with a side by side to show the scientific nature of the wild stoner guess. The 10 hail Mary's should make your pastor happy to as a side benefit.

Stab it, Dab it, shabb-it.

Harvesting now and after 48 hours dark and chopping away at the trunks i'm convinced about the puffing of the trics. next time i think i'll put 12 -15 staples in each trunk so simulate many little hungry teeth lol.

Harvesting now and after 48 hours dark and chopping away at the trunks i'm convinced about the puffing of the trics. next time i think i'll put 12 -15 staples in each trunk so simulate many little hungry teeth lol.
The quip about hungry teeth reminds me of the use of Chitosan.
"Chitosan, when applied via a foliar feed or to the root mass directly, tricks the cannabis plant into thinking it is being attacked by bugs." Biocontrols
Of course Bud Factor X's "secret" ingredient has long been said to be Chitosan and it claims:
"Bud Factor X contains bio-active ingredients that enhance inherent qualities in plants, coaxing maximum production of terpinoids, resins and essential oils"
so I just add a scant gram of the stuff to my water (because of it being so cheap in quantity); excess does not harm, it's just wasted.

Back
Top Bottom