Quick flush?

You can often actually see the salt build up on a fabric pot. It looks like white frost on the outside of the pot. It happens in any potted plant,. In one of my lives I was the head gardener at a college. After a while even clay pots will have a salt buildup on them. Growing in pots is much different that growing in outdoor soils.
Sadly, I use plastic lol.
If you are using synthetic nutes, salts are building up. When you start seeing deficiencies that you can't explain, salt lockout should always be the first suspicion in these sorts of grows. Let's say that you are running to 20% runoff, and almost no one does that unless they are actually trying to do a mini flush each time they water. It will take 5 waterings to get to 100% of the container size, or 1/3 of a regular actually trying to do it right, flush. This means that with each watering you are doing 1/15th of an actual full flush, not 20%. No, it is hardly enough to do the job, not to mention that at each watering you are adding more nutes which will cause more salts.
Thanks alot. This thread alone has taught me more in 1 day than I have learned in probably a month of different readings lol.

All good here thanks.. My timing must have been right by the look of the trics. First time using complete grow in a auto pot. She should have 2 wks to go but checking daily ✌️
Right on, man! I got one in about that time, too! Trim friends ✌

Here's how it works and its not temporary waiting for water or we would never have any cations/nutrients in soil because rain water (no charge) would wash them all away. We know that doesn't happen and here's why:

"The clay mineral and organic matter components of soil have negatively charged sites on their surfaces which adsorb and hold positively charged ions (cations) by electrostatic force."

How does that electrostatic force get removed?? This is the question in hand.

Here is the answer with a picture so that everyone understands:

"in the Cation Exchange process the plant’s roots absorb many of the nutrients essential for growth. The process works through the secretion of exudates by the root hairs which contain positively charged hydrogen ions. The hydrogen ions are effectively “traded” (DIFFUSION) by the plant for the positively charged cations of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and trace elements. The plant absorbs 70% of the cations it needs through the cation exchange process..."

I don't make this stuff up I just read the science and make suggestions based on the science. Flushing is BS. aka Bro Science.

pic.jpg

Scientific articles for anyone that cares to read and understand:

Cations and Cation Exchange Capacity | Fact Sheets | soilquality.org.au

Plant Feeding By Cation Exchange

More in depth "sciency" version:

AY-238

And some more do you want some more cause there's a LOT more on it:

Soil Management

We should have a discussion on how the mechanism of Diffusion works in relation to root exudate.

Then we will realize how detrimental adding WAY too much water to to the soil solution in the Rhizosphere and the damage done to micro-organisms that are helping with the Diffusion process.
While this diagram clearly explains the "general" cation exchange process - it is much more complicated than the basic diagram. Fungi and bacteria play a great role in cation exchange and making nutrients available to the root hairs in soil.

Yes, fabric is easy and readily available. There are other reasons to use fabric, air pots or hemp buckets. Plastic is least desirable as a “pot”.
I used "makeshift" air pots (5-gal plastic buckets with many side-holes drilled in them) in my tomato garden last summer and compared the growth profile and yield to "non-makeshift" air pots (plastic 5-gal buckets with only bottom holes). I was convinced on the air-pot concept by more vigorous growth and yield of the "makeshift" air pot buckets.

I am using 1-gal plastic buckets in my veg tent, however, when I transplant and transfer to the flowering tent I use 5-gal or 7-gal fabric bags. Do you think I should be using fabric bags all the way through - veg and flower? I have plenty of 1-gal and 2-gal fabric bags.

Yes, I think there is a root air-pruning effect with fabric bags - is that correct?

Haha . Sorry for the late response, time difference. What do you have on the go?
No worries brother...I have a Bubblegum auto getting ready, harvesting a Blueberry auto tonight, have a photo G-13 in week 3/4 flower then 2 Gelato autos, a Big Jack Widow Auto, a Sirius Black photo, NYC Diesel Photo and Acapulco Gold photo all in veg...autos are actually pre flower, day 30 today oh and a Gorilla Glue Super Lemon Haze photo day 31

Haha . Sorry for the late response, time difference. What do you have on the go?
No worries brother...I have a Bubblegum auto getting ready, harvesting a Blueberry auto tonight, have a photo G-13 in week 3/4 flower then 2 Gelato autos, a Big Jack Widow Auto, a Sirius Black photo, NYC Diesel Photo and Acapulco Gold all in veg...autos are actually pre flower and a re veg monster crop Amnesia

No worries brother...I have a Bubblegum auto getting ready, harvesting a Blueberry auto tonight, have a photo G-13 in week 3/4 flower then 2 Gelato autos, a Big Jack Widow Auto, a Sirius Black photo, NYC Diesel Photo and Acapulco Gold all in veg...autos are actually pre flower and a re veg monster crop Amnesia
Mmmm, niiiice. I have never used auto's before

You can often actually see the salt build up on a fabric pot. It looks like white frost on the outside of the pot. It happens in any potted plant,.
My take on that is the build-up is primarily dissolved minerals. They will be in well water or water from a lake or river. The dissolved minerals are what is shown by the 'ppm' number that is so important for some hydroponic growers. The percentage that is actually salt is minimal most of the time.

For what it is worth I have had the white build-up show on the surface of the soil in the pots that hold our house plants.

Then you take an illegal leap in logic and....
Oh dear. If leaps in logic were illegal then 99.99% of the population would have a criminal record and there would not be enough jails to hold the habitual offenders.;)

It is what people do with the leap that leads some down the path to something illegal.:)

As to the topic of a 'Flush' for soil I understand both sides and see the logic presented by each side. I go by the belief that most container growers should do what works out the best for them. First step is to try one method and then the other over many grow sessions.

My take on that is the build-up is primarily dissolved minerals. They will be in well water or water from a lake or river. The dissolved minerals are what is shown by the 'ppm' number that is so important for some hydroponic growers. The percentage that is actually salt is minimal most of the time.

For what it is worth I have had the white build-up show on the surface of the soil in the pots that hold our house plants.
Probably calcium-rich lime and carbonate salts (lime, limestone and bicarbonate salts). They are easily washed out by a watering it through to waste (flushing) using RO, distilled or low TDS water. What is the TDS of your primary water source? It is not too much of an issue unless you let them build up to the point where they inhibit cation transfer (i.e. thick white-salt mat).

What is the TDS of your primary water source?
Tap water from the City of Detroit Water & Sewerage Department. They provide water for a large portion of the multi-county southeast corner of Michigan, about 700,000 residential customers plus businesses. Water comes from intakes on the Saint Clair River and in Lake Saint Clair with back-up intakes in the upper Detroit River just below where Lake Saint Clair empties into the river.

Rooting around with google searches and the TDS was running about 140 in 2013 and varied a bit depending on which fresh water plant was tested. Probably more recent testing and numbers but I figure that is close enough for now and I did not want to go through even more pdf files.

Back
Top Bottom