Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Now for a few Random thoughts. Alaska will soon be opening places that you can consume the product where you bought it. If they do it right then U.S. based cannabis cafes have got their foot in the door. If they do it wrong then no one will follow them. Cannabis vacations and destinations will help the industry only if they are done right.
Colorado is set up perfect for this. Lots of stuff you can do while smoking. Lodges on lakes or ski slopes can cater to that clientele.

There is a lot more to the lifestyle than people realize. Consuming marijuana in cafes is real similar to the bar thing. If all they do is give you a place to consume it they are missing the big picture. They need to cater to the people that have marijuana as a part of their life. Not the people where it is there whole life. I am high all the time but being high doesn't define me. How I live my life does.

Now for pet peeve #2. High times recently released their top 15 strains for the year. I only knew of one strain. Do Si Do. I have heard of Wedding Cake but know nothing of it. THAT'S it! I have never even heard of the rest of the strains they mention. I know I don't keep up like I used to. Still I should have at least heard of some of these. It was not to long ago that I not only have I heard of them I had a few of them. It is always great to hear of new strains. That is if they were strains. Most can't even be purchased in seed form of any kind. They got their strength from Cookie or G.G. genetics. Which means there is very little differences in these strains at all. High Times has been going to shit the last few years. They have always been a business more than Marijuana news. The Cannabis Cups and its winners over time has proved favoritism is real and in use by High Times. At least before they favored places that actually sold seeds.

High times has become more of a smokers mag. All adds and pop culture stuff. If they post 15 of the best strains of the year and I quit reading the article then they really missed the boat. I read everything on marijuana strains. It is one thing when I can't identify with the lifestyle shit they publish. (It is a changing world). When I can't identify with their grow and strain info they are doing something terrible wrong.

Super Lemon Haze was another good one. Mine didn't have the Haze flavor like the Cannalope does but everything else about it I liked. Even went out and bought more so I can work with it in the future. I still need a great lemon sativa.

The big difference between the 2 for me was the SLH was daytime weed. Cannalope Haze was more relaxing and better for afternoon and evening. Got to love those finicky sativas that do what they want to you LMAO. Some get you high other get you baked LOL.

I think it's more than just high times, it's today's society has been consumed by pop culture as a whole. As far as modern strains seems like it's all about advertising. I saw a article about a strain ( can't remember which one ) that was one market for awhile with no interest from anyone. Then it was given a new "desert" name like cake or something. Then Wham-O it sold like crazy. All these new zillions of strains are just same shit crossed in different ways. But your right about they all come from similar backgrounds one way or another. Seems landraces are being phased out

Told the wife I needed to go get a strong sativa yesterday. I walked I to the store and the first thing I found was an Oregon Silver Haze hash oil infused joint... I expected garbage since it was from the shop, but damn it tasted and felt like all haze. My eyes opened wide, face feeling cool, chest opened up, wife irritated because I just kept talking..... Then I was starving so I cooked a big homemade dinner. Best rec store sativa I have had since they shutdown medical...

Wife brought home an 1/8 of something called "the sweeties" a few days back, apparently White Cookies x Face Off OG. It is good stuff, real nice indica hybrid, sticky, frosty, and stinky. But it is just what you were saying. Everything has effing Cookies, OG, GG#4 or all three nowadays... Kinda like how everything used to be crossed with Skunk#1 and Northern Lights and beat like a dead horse until it was engrained into modern genetics, then everyone needs the next big thing. Very commercialized with very trendy names.

Sorry for the rant, but you guys got my brain going today.

Ranting goes over real good here. If you Hate something Hate it right LMAO.

It is easy to hit some great pheno with pollen. When people do it now they are made out to be some kind of Super Breeder. This year's seeds will be made from last years super strains. I am over chasing the rainbow. My weed gets me plenty high I don't need their fancy genetics. With the seeds I have I have more special plants then some companies out there. Most all these incredible genetics are only available in some areas. In California you may be able to get a clone. The rest of us are screwed tell someone waters it down by crossing it with some older strain.

Strain or not it is all about the special plants. Lots of new strains are special plants of known strains. This whole sweet craze is foolishness anyway. Dank is stronger than sweet. Always has been always will be! Tell they breed a better sweet strain LMAO.

What is really funny. I like nothing that is popular these days. Why should I jump all over some strain just because the masses like it. There are strains I still want to get but chasing new strains is over. Plus I am embracing the great strains. Why grow a watered down version of something when you can just wait. If seeds show up great. Buy them and self the best pheno if you like it. I have tried lots of Blueberry hybrids. Some are great others are just ok. Now I need to grow Blueberry and see if I want to keep it. Pretty sure I will self it. If not then I will go with Blueberry Headband for that flavor.

Not all F-1 hybrids will show a large percentage of both parents. It matters how the strains mix together. With Basic Skunk 19 x Cinderella 99. I ended up with half of my plants close to the original C-99. When the Airborne G-13 was crossed with Cinderella 99 the genetics mixed better. Most plants look like a mix of both genetics. The Airborne G-13 added tons of crystal to a couple of them. Size and production may go down. Hard to tell right now as C-99 is much faster. Even if it does not produce as much. Quality is better than Quantity for me every time. Thing is the C-99 blended into the genetics. It didn't overpower them.

There is a little known Pheno out there that tends to transfer no genetics. Very few people have it, I don't know if it was released to the public or not. P-94 of the Cinderella project has a male they kept because of this. It is what helped Cinderella come to be. I know Grimm has crossed a couple of strains with it. Maybe it only works once in a while. Even at 50% of the time it is valuable genetics. Like I mentioned, it is more how the genetics mix then just how good they are.

How was That? I mixed ranting with random LMAO.

One more day and everything looks good. I am kind of running out of time to screw this one up lol.

I have noticed I was a week or so early for the lollipop when I did it. I have a little more scrap than normal. Not a big deal as I am going to need plenty of trim to make oil for edibles. I am at that point in the grow when it looks like things are just not going to produce. The way I did things this time I have lots more branches on everything. Starting to wonder if I fed them enough to fill out all the branches. Just because it is healthy doesn't mean it is going to have enough food to bulk everything up. I may just end up with a bunch of smaller buds instead of a few big ones. We will see.

Not a whole lot can be done to fix things with soil at this time. Anything that goes in has to come out so It is pushing it to add anything this late. I will get what I get. I do plan to flush I just need to be sure what I put in can be flushed out. That is the appeal of quanos.

Nothing says shit is going to go wrong. Rumor has it, Shit has been known to happen LMAO. It just scares me to look into the tent and to see everything looking so good at this point. Yes there are issues. Small ones. Leaf spots and damage tells me things are going on. It is just not bad enough to do anything about. Kind of like raising kids I guess. You have a certain amount of time to give them what they need for good life. Then you have to wait to see if it was enough. So mostly I am doing my best to just wait and let things be. The hardest thing in growing to do. WAIT.

While there is a strain or 2 that might get a little Guano. Nothing can be done to the Cinderella 99. They are starting to finish already. Cinderella is a ginger for those that don't know. This plant has orange hairs and they seem to be perfectly placed. Not tons of them like some strains just enough to accent all the trichomes. Cinderella has beautiful buds. In the next few days I will get some pictures so you guys can see it. The early plants are all orange hairs on top. I just need the bigger later flowering ones to catch up.

Enjoying my insomnia as best I can this morning... with some pretty fresh bubble hash and I got to thinking about this years summer sativa run and my big Betty breeding project. Wasn't supposed to really happen this way, but it is going to happen.

I have some Zamaldelica x Panama and Zamaldelica x Malawi seeds. Plus I was planning on running Punto Rojo x Durban Bubble and Columbian Gold. I may grow a Dark Devil auto in a space bucket at the same time. My goal would be to pollinate all of these girls with Trailer Trash Betty male. I would like to turn 15 seeds or less into about 600, including making more Betty seeds.

I hope Betty can take the soaring temps.

She should be able too. It is a easy strain to grow and pretty adaptable. You would definitely get some interesting stuff from them. At least you would know you did the right plants if you do all of them LOL.

Any sativa should get a pretty good kick from the mostly indica of TTB. With the hints of SSH in the high of Betty it should mix well with sativas.

Long drives is when my head goes into overdrive LOL. New strains and strain names come mostly from long drives. When it gets to much for me I have to turn the radio on.

Everything is still looking great. As I have mentioned, that is the scary part. While I say nothing is getting any more nutrients. That is just in general. The longer flowering strains still might get more bloom booster and maybe some other guano to get them through. The big thing is knowing which ones will take longer. Most plants will flower fine from this point on. Adding anything would only affect the flush. There are a couple that may flower lots longer and may run short of nuits by the time they finish.

That's the whole thing. The When they run out of food. Plants that run out too soon will be affected when they are trying to finish up. The one thing that makes me happy. The leaves that are mostly affected are on the lower part of the plant where they belong. At least this grow I have everything looking good going into late flower. Like I mentioned yesterday. the hardest thing to do now is just to wait.

Yesterday I was just bored. Not the greatest plants or the greatest pictures. I just wanted something to do. I really need to figure out how to get a good picture of a full plant. Some things are clear as hell while other parts are blurry. It doesn't matter much it is just to show plant growth.
I also have started posting smaller files sizes. I hope the picture quality stays the same I just hate it taking so long to load a page. This might help.

Ok to start we have one of the Cinderella 99's It is not the biggest best or anything else. It just was just one of the first to have nice red hairs.

While this Chemdawg is showing a few red hairs it still has lots of time left. This plant is frosty but nothing like the Alpha Dawg it parented.

Plus this gives me a chance to show everything while it is still looking nice. See I told you the plants were kicking ass.

This page loads slow as F**k now because of all the pictures. Sooo I might as well add more LMAO. I did things a little different to try and let you guys see what I see. This Alpha Dawg is one of my favorites this grow. It has a wonderful fuzzy look to it it has so many trichomes. I really like the different colors to the light. I need to get a some different bulbs for my lights. Here are a few of the better ones.

Flushed the first plant yesterday. One of the Cinderellas has red hairs all they way down and is mostly cloudy already. Early Cinderella plants can really screw with you. They finish so fast it makes the other plants look like something is wrong. I am only around 50 or so days since I turned the lights back. Thats fast.

When I say flushed. here is what I meant. I flush the volume of the pot with the same amount of water. This is a tricky thing to do without waterlogging the plant. Timing is the big thing. Plants start using so little water late in flower it is easy to over water. I make sure the soil is plenty dry when I do it. I use a milk crate over a large bucket. Then put the plant on the crate over the bucket. The main thing is giving the water plenty time to drain all the way out before it goes back into the tent. Saturated soil takes a while to totally drain. If the plant sits in over saturated soil for to long it will sour. Hence the timing part.

This is the first time I have did things this way so I really don't know all the pitfalls yet. That means there is still hope I could screw something up LMAO. I do know about flushing for other things so I am going to have to go with that info. Normal soil grows for me there is little nutrients left in the soil by the time they finish flowering. That didn't happen last time for some reason. It is still killer weed I just hate having to relight a joint all the time. This time I fed even more than last time. I want to make sure I get everything flushed out before they finish this time just in case..

So sorry about the Lemon Skunk Dankman_420. We will have a moment of silence tonight before watering.

Plants can do so many amazing things. I really wish I could capture what I see everyday in picture form. It is always great when things fall into the right places and I get a picture that comes close.

Todays pictures were more playing around. I wanted a bunch to play with that had different lighting. I like how they came out but it is all still a learning process. First up we have Killer Queen. This strain is everything I would expect out of it. One pheno in the big tent is the only dark cherry soda smelling plant I have ever had. New smells are always fun.

Critical has to be one of the frostiest strains going these days. Trichomes came on early and just kept building.

Back
Top Bottom