Remove Lower Branches When Making Pollen?

PufferLungs

420 Member
I've been spraying these autos with colloidal silver. They're at the 3 week stage of flowering. I'm only spraying the top 4 branches on the plants. The buds and pollen sacs produced on those 4 branches is more than enough pollen for my needs.

If I cut the lower branches off, will it help the remaining upper branches produce better pollen sacs? (All energy dedicated to those few branches that are left.)

20240113_084812.jpg

I know you didn't ask, but .... Your plants look pretty hungry.
Nope. I didn't.

Did you miss the part where they are only being grown to produce pollen?

And what you're seeing, is burned leaves, not nutrient deficiency. The soil was too hot for that one on on the left. Nice try though.

neither of us were cracking on your plants, Sativa1970 had already answered your question.

There’s a crap tons of nutrients already processed and stored in the fan leaves of those lower branches, cutting them off is burning down the warehouse.

Removing them will cause reduced leaf transpiration, same for photosynthesis. What is food for a plant? Light, yep photons are food for a plant, no leaves = no photons = no food.

so when the plant is flowering and trying to make seeds there’s no gain to be had by adding stress and cutting resources, this will only slow down the process and weaken the plant

Just figured you were closing in on the end of life. An 8 week flowering plant will finish maturing seeds in less than 6 weeks. If we don't know you on here, we don't know how much information is too basic or advanced. Seen plenty of people on here trying advanced techniques on there first grow ever. Sueet and 013 were just trying to help and start a conversation.
:Namaste: good luck

Just figured you were closing in on the end of life. An 8 week flowering plant will finish maturing seeds in less than 6 weeks. If we don't know you on here, we don't know how much information is too basic or advanced. Seen plenty of people on here trying advanced techniques on there first grow ever. Sueet and 013 were just trying to help and start a conversation.
:Namaste: good luck
People always ASSume. Don't bother to ask.. just say some insulting BS that's totally off topic.

This is why I never bothered to put any of my grows on the internet. Been growin for several DECADES and never felt the need to impress anyone. Don't need too. Been an outlaw all my life, long before the internet even existed. My wife encouraged me to do this because I'm dying. She thought it might help me if I was able to spread some knowledge and have a community to engage with. Looks like that was a bad idea. I don't like most people. They just piss me off with their ignorant or smart mouth comments. I ain't that old. I came from an era where you didn't run your mouth unless you were prepared to get knocked in the teeth for it. Now this internet let's any fool run his mouth with no consequences, so they wanna run their mouth.

I don't need the frustration. I came here to try to pass on knowledge. Didn't want too. Got pressured into it. Done. See ya on the other side.

I think I'm a smart ass 50% of the time my wife says 95% so maybe I was without realizing, or intending it. My family and my wife family, that I have known since we were kids, are all biochemists or some field of horticulture. Been growing this weed over 40 years and joined 4 years ago. I still find information on here with new technology and techniques. Also find a lot of "young" growers interested in the old school methods and strains.

People jumped in eager to help, and start a conversation. No ill intentions were meant. I'm from the fuck around and find out genX. If I can cut them some slack you can too. If not, sorry to see ya go before you ever got started.

If I cut the lower branches off, will it help the remaining upper branches produce better pollen sacs? (All energy dedicated to those few branches that are left.)
It will not produce better genetics since the DNA has already been fixed. But, removing any excess branches will allow the remaining ones to get a larger share of nutrients, sucrose, hormones and anything else the plant is producing. End result can be that the pollen particles themselves will be healthier, more likely that a larger percentage of them will be mature at harvest time and more likely that any extra pollen left over after any breeding sessions will remain viable for years instead of only another season or two. I am also thinking that healthier pollen will trigger a quicker response by the flower itself when pollination does happen.

Nope. I didn't.

Did you miss the part where they are only being grown to produce pollen?
You did ask about producing better pollen sacs. Plants receiving proper amounts of food/nutrients will be healthier and will be able to produce better female or male flowers and in this case healthier pollen producing 'sacs'.

The way I am understanding it a healthy well fed plant will be better able to produce the very results you looking for; at least much more likely than cutting off the excess or unwanted branches which means the plant is moving a lower quality nutrient liquid to the remaining branches.

When @Sueet mentioned that the plants looked hungry she was contributing to answering the question asked.

Autoflower cannabis plants are sensitive to defoliation. Is this the first attempt at producing feminized cannabis pollen? How frequently are you spraying the cannabis plants with colloidal silver solution? how do you intend to use and store the feminized pollen which is being produced inside the female pollen sacks? The light coverage area from the LED light source will determine the productive growth range of the cannabis plant, any area below this light threshold can be defoliated.

I've only used STS to make pollen and use a lower branch to do that. Just the nodes need to be sprayed and not big fan leaves. I've made CS for 10 years but never tried it on plants.

:peace:

I think I'm a smart ass 50% of the time my wife says 95% so maybe I was without realizing, or intending it. My family and my wife family, that I have known since we were kids, are all biochemists or some field of horticulture. Been growing this weed over 40 years and joined 4 years ago. I still find information on here with new technology and techniques. Also find a lot of "young" growers interested in the old school methods and strains.

People jumped in eager to help, and start a conversation. No ill intentions were meant. I'm from the fuck around and find out genX. If I can cut them some slack you can too. If not, sorry to see ya go before you ever got started.
No you weren't a smart arse hopefully the door didn't hit him on the way out

Back
Top Bottom