Root rot? Is it too late? - Pics

victorc

I fear I may have encountered root rot. The following clones are from my aero cloner. Unfortunately I do not have a chiller, so my rez temps are very hard to control. Can anyone verify that this is root rot?

All these pics are from 1 clone
First pic: top of root
Second pic: middle of root
Last pic: end of root
DSC_03105.JPG
DSC_03132.JPG
DSC_03123.JPG

Re: Root rot? Is it too late? [pics]

Looks normal to me... might be a small amount of staining from nutrients tho :thumb:

I don't supose you know the temps of your res ?

Rez temps typical sit around 79 - 80. The middle area of the roots got pretty dark in color, and within a day or two. Which is what had me worried. The plants themselves seem to be doing great though. Here is a different clone
DSC_03173.JPG

Sorry that my first reply was mildly off & that your second reply has helped solve the potential problem at hand... you've got a little bit of time to fix it tho :high-five:

79f/80f is a little to warm for a res... this reduces oxygen aviable to the roots & will eventually lead to root rot !

1. A lot of people using DWC will add an air stone & air pump to increase oxygen levels in the res which benifits growth.

2. Some will insulate res tank or DWC pot with thermal protective material such as polysterine sheeting with reflective surface, mylar etc to reduce temp change of res !

3. Other may use a small drinks bottle with frozern water placed in res on a daily basis to reduce temps etc

4. Advanced DWC growers will use water chillers.

5. You might be able to source a product to help reduce root rot problems such as - Regen-A-Root by Canadian express (add to res tank) which helps protects against common infections such as pythium, rhizoctonia and phytophthora.

Rhizoctonia thats the fancy name for root rot :peace:

You may want to check your local hydro shops for a simaler product many brands do some thing along these lines or even use H2O2 product.

You might want to check this place out Hydroponics | Grow Systems | Grow Tents | Medical Growers they are CA based & also a forum sponsor :green_heart:

Or you may wish to view others shops under the Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE ® tag.

Ideal temps for a res is aprox 65f to 68f, ya got some work to do
:thumb:

It doesn't look too bad at the moment. Not 100% healthy but easily recoverable.

I'd recommend running Dutch Masters Zone continually in your system. It's not expensive and prevents any problems. I've had res temp issues in previous grows and Zone's stopped any major issues developing. I generally run it at 4ml per 10l, but if the roots start looking a bit unhealthy I up it to 6ml/10l. Within a week they'll be nice new white growth.

Fuzzy duck gives good advice with air stone, frozen water bottles to get temps down etc. I've found with zone that I don't need to worry if the res temps climb, I can't advocate it enough, great stuff.

doesnt look like rot yet. wen using aerocloners the temps u describe are perfect before roots show, the warmth encourages the clone to root faster and dissolved oxygen is less of an issue to the plant. once roots show u need to get temps around the 68f mark. its easy done even in a room with high temps. a chiller is the best option and gives u the best control but u can sit ur res in another tray filled with ice, or add frozen bottles to res. use enzymes such as cannazym and guardian angel. these will allow u to run slightly higher temps. i have a couple of smaller grows with 10-12 plants that arent on chillers and temps are around 72f and i never have issues with rot using these products. I have airstones in there too ofcourse. have a look through my journals as i pretty much grow exclusively dwc with great results.

@Fuzzy Duck Thanks for the advice! I've added an air stone as well as daily frozen water bottles to help with oxygen.
I will hopefully be upgrading to a water chiller by the end of the month. I do have some h202 which I also might use. Unfortunately some of the clones did succumbed to the root rot. I've begun planting the clones that have survived, I'm hoping they will make it.

@ JJ Bones When I first posted the pics none of the plants had this effect. However, a few days many of the roots began to peel off very easily. Unfortunately, I do not have any enzymes. I may have lost some clones to root rot. But to be honest, it was pretty neat to see what root rot does. It was my first attempt at cloning so I'm not too bothered by it. When I upgrade to a chiller in a month or so hopefully I will never experience root rot again.

@ Green Knight Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like a great product, i'll definitely look into it.

@ Cultivator Thanks for the help! I would have never guessed the warm temps would be good when starting out. I'll def write that down and keep it in mind when I get my chiller. I began skimming your current grow, your mothers are amazing!

Here is the first clone pictured above and another similar in size a day after soil-less transplant.
weed220.jpg
weed115.jpg

High temps in water will definitely have less o2 in the solution. Colder temps means more o2. Water will hold 12 PPM of o2 max but this is only achieved when water is colder. Warmer temps will hold 7 PPM or less. Even though Dutch may let the plant thrive threw this the roots are still suffering threw the high temps etc. I say ideally 50F is great for water temps. No matter how much air you pump in your solution warmer temps will hold less o2.

50f is a little low on water temps. yes it will hold more dissolved oxygen but the roots dont like the cold temps. the roots actually prefer a warmer climate but not too warm where not enough oxgen is available. i find 65-68f is ideal. ive tried lower and higher temps and i just find i get the best growth in this temp range as the water isnt too cold to be uncomfortable for the roots and not too warm so there low dissolved oxygen.

I just bought some H&G root excelurator and some H&G zyme. I read that Canna and H&G are pretty much on the same level with certain products. I may try some rooting canna products next but I have to see what the hype is about with the root excelurator from H&G. Even though its pricy you get alot more for ya buck. Which is great for 4 bucket or more RCDWC system. I run threw voodoo juice way to much to easy. Thats about 12gallons I keep in my 4 bucket RCDWC system. Plus I have single buckets running on the side

Back
Top Bottom