Rooting a clone on both ends?

Bounce3d

Double dipping
Rotting a clone on both ends?
The idea is that the double roots with the main stem and 2 or more bud sites could keep the plant compact for a small scrog setup, combine with LST.
The clone "mini branch" was taken from our mother.
We stripped and clipped the leaves as u would do a normal clone then snipped and dipped and after 14days, we had roots and 2 viable bud sites.
Has anyone tried this?
Thoughts on, if its practical to the application of small scrogs?

20210517_183043.jpg

Looks great so far. Generally speaking 2 plants in the same container equals 50% yields from each plants potential. Also I’ve read before where it’s considered that 2 plants occupying the same container have the ability to communicate, whats cool about this is its NOT 2 plants in the same container. If housed together it would be 1 plant with 2 root systems in the same container!

But to max out growth potential maybe consider doing one with a very long stem so the main stalk has a crap ton of nodes. @LightAddict is a master grower, clone & graft junkie of renown and I’m willing to bet he has done this to perfection. I’m hoping he won’t mind the tag.... and he can correct any lies I may have told so far.

Good photo and the topic is always an interesting one.

Has anyone tried this?
Yes, Someone brought up the same topic about a year ago. Their picture looked similar to yours so they started off the same way. I get the feeling that they did not follow through on the project since I can not remember any follow-up messages. Over the years some growers have talked about doing the same sort of thing with each end in its own container.

Come to think of it, there are some similar discussions here on 420 Mag. Maybe try a search looking for:
air layering

'Air Layering' is a method of making clones without taking cuttings and sticking them in water or damp soil. The idea is to encourage the plant to grow roots on the stem and then cutting it off after the root ball has formed.

air layering is mostly used for hardwoods and things that don't want to clone, you peel the skin back in a section of an arm, add moist sphengum moss and wrap in clear plastic and then simply wait till you see roots, its also quite slow method of making cuttings. i found it more practical to simply bend a plants arms down and submerge the arm in the soil, plant naturally starts more roots there. don't really see the point of it though, seems a lot of effort and work to go to simply to achieve a small plant, can do it much easier than that. personally i would simply turn this into 2 clones and if i wanted a plant in 2 pots i think i would simply grow one plant then bend her over and bury the tip in another pot allowing it to form roots, but again only really makes sense to me if you want to grow a monster plant

air layering is mostly used for hardwoods and things that don't want to clone, you peel the skin back in a section of an arm, add moist sphengum moss and wrap in clear plastic and then simply wait till you see roots, its also quite slow method of making cuttings.
It does not seem right to call what was done with the piece of plant in the first photo "air layering" but I have read several gardening and horticulture articles that refer to that cloning method as as a type of "air layering".

I have some "Rubber Trees" that were 'air layer' cloned years ago by the owner. She got so into it that she had new trees all over her sun-room and she was ready to throw away 3 of them already over 6 foot tall. For Marijuana I figure that the traditional method of taking a cutting and rooting it is water or soil is the fastest.

Any other method for rooting Marijuana cuttings are slower. But, they are fun to try and worth the effort in order to get the experience.

i found it more practical to simply bend a plants arms down and submerge the arm in the soil, plant naturally starts more roots there.
That is the simplest method and the one I use for Forsythia.

It does not seem right to call what was done with the piece of plant in the first photo "air layering" but I have read several gardening and horticulture articles that refer to that cloning method as as a type of "air layering".

I have some "Rubber Trees" that were 'air layer' cloned years ago by the owner. She got so into it that she had new trees all over her sun-room and she was ready to throw away 3 of them already over 6 foot tall. For Marijuana I figure that the traditional method of taking a cutting and rooting it is water or soil is the fastest.

Any other method for rooting Marijuana cuttings are slower. But, they are fun to try and worth the effort in order to get the experience.

That is the simplest method and the one I use for Forsythia.
you are correct in that, air layering would mean rooting the cutting before removing it from the plant. and correct, the classic way is the fastest and most efficient way to clone MJ. this is good for plants that don't like to clone honestly I use air layering when I want to steal cuttings from trees or plants (this this great fig tree I found somewhere) that arent mine that arent super close to my house. i still haven't reached the point of confidence with cuttings for some reason.

.. this this great fig tree I found somewhere) that arent mine that arent super close to my house ...
Some old Italian guy told me to take the "babies" instead of trying to do stem or twig cuttings. Those "baby" shoots that sprout up out of the ground. He said carefully dig down and lift them out and if done right they will already have a small root ball.

I'm air layering my outdoor GG#4 right now to coax more roots out of the lower trunk, @SmokingWings?
I saw that. Was not sure if you were experimenting to see if you could get the plant above the cut to form some roots and then cut it off to have a second plant.

Some old Italian guy told me to take the "babies" instead of trying to do stem or twig cuttings. Those "baby" shoots that sprout up out of the ground. He said carefully dig down and lift them out and if done right they will already have a small root ball.

I saw that. Was not sure if you were experimenting to see if you could get the plant above the cut to form some roots and then cut it off to have a second plant.
yeah I'd heard that aswell, but I was bored and was keen to try air layering. hmm I might start my bonsai missions again

Looks great so far. Generally speaking 2 plants in the same container equals 50% yields from each plants potential. Also I’ve read before where it’s considered that 2 plants occupying the same container have the ability to communicate, whats cool about this is its NOT 2 plants in the same container. If housed together it would be 1 plant with 2 root systems in the same container!

But to max out growth potential maybe consider doing one with a very long stem so the main stalk has a crap ton of nodes. @LightAddict is a master grower, clone & graft junkie of renown and I’m willing to bet he has done this to perfection. I’m hoping he won’t mind the tag.... and he can correct any lies I may have told so far.
such a shame lights not around anymore

Not this one, I'm just trying to fatten the base of the trunk outside while still letting it grow under outdoor conditions. Once I see flower on it in the fall I'll pull it, chop most of the roots, and throw it into 24/24 for a slow winter.

well for 14 days rooted, i feel it wasnt that long, thats about what my usual clones take

well for 14 days rooted, i feel it wasnt that long, thats about what my usual clones take
I was saying that the usual or traditional methods of putting the cutting in a small container of soil or a glass of water are the fastest way to do it. Taking 14 days shows that to be true.

To try to root the cutting at both ends even if the ends are put in soil is what is considered to be a form of air-layering. I have seen the same type of project in another message here. That person also had roots at both ends and if I remember right they also used soil. Several of the others mentioned that it was like air-layering and being familiar with the basics of air-layering I checked out this interesting way of doing it.

i hadnt even heard of air layering until you mentioned it, also a cool idea.

I was saying that the usual or traditional methods of putting the cutting in a small container of soil or a glass of water are the fastest way to do it. Taking 14 days shows that to be true.
yes totally agree with you there, just so simple.

thanks for the input @SmokingWings :ganjamon:

OH! I get it now. You want layering....not air layering!

If you've seen the 'loch ness' plants at nurseries where the same plant is rooted to the soil several times so a humpty bumpty sea dragon shape takes form...you want to create a version of that.

Posting a link to a .edu which should be ok because it's not social:

OH! I get it now. You want layering....not air layering!

If you've seen the 'loch ness' plants at nurseries where the same plant is rooted to the soil several times so a humpty bumpty sea dragon shape takes form...you want to create a version of that.
hi @copperrein, no not really. im trying to keep the plant as low as possible for scrog, get as many growth pionts(although the test only has 3)....was kind of just messing around tho.

when my current grow is done im going to try two of these in my box, will start a journal on that and tag everyone thats interested

if you would like to see my current grow?

Double dipping
Rotting a clone on both ends?
The idea is that the double roots with the main stem and 2 or more bud sites could keep the plant compact for a small scrog setup, combine with LST.
The clone "mini branch" was taken from our mother.
We stripped and clipped the leaves as u would do a normal clone then snipped and dipped and after 14days, we hado roots and 2 viable bud sites.
Has anyone tried this?
Thoughts on, if its practical to the application of small scrogs?
OK. A little off topic ... but ...
For legal reasons ... is this ONE plant; or two?

Back
Top Bottom