SCROG Blue Dream CoCo 600 Watt HPS - Tiny Spindly Buds - Help!

LoGiK287

Hey Everyone,

My second crop is nearing harvest and not looking anything like I'd hoped :(

The more reading I do the more I think they may all be hermies.

It's the first time I've tried the SCROG method, as i found my blue dream outgrew my tent height really quick the first time around. But at this period last crop everything looked nice and fat.

They were veged for about 6 weeks then super cropped horizontally into the trellis, I then pruned the underside of the canopy and then really haven't pruned anything since.

Im 63 days into 12/12 cycle, lots of tric's but my buds look veeeery thin and wispy. For the first few weeks into flowering they were shooting out single-finger leaves and stretching like crazy.

I'm thinking possible problems are maybe
-Too many lateral branches per plant, causing everything to be popcorn buds?
-Not enough pruning done to prevent small popcorn buds?
-First time using MKP for bud booster, could this be causing issues?
-Too many plants for the area?
-Could they possibly be hermies??

My grow details are:
What Strain is it? Humboldt Blue Dream
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 80% Sativa/20% Indica
How Many Plants? 5 in tent
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? 63 Days into flowering
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Coco/Perlite Mix, Hydroton topping
If Soil... What Size Pot? 5 Gal smart Pots
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1x600 watt hps
Is it Air Cooled? Air cooled hood
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Down to 16 at night, 23-26 at day periods
RH of Room/Cabinet? 50% RH currently
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 5.8
Any Pests? Noticed the odd fungus gnat (getting a little humid in the basement at times)
How Often are you Watering? 2x1 minute intervals per day, DTW top feed setup
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Advanced Nutrients Coco Sensi Grow A &B and small ammount MKP 1000-1100 ppm
I did switch from GH trio about a week into flower
Size or Square Footage of Room? 4x4x8 Grow tent

Here's photos of my poor skinny girls.

Here's a photo of the next generation, about 10 days into 12/12 cycle and looking very healthy. I don't want the same thing to happen to these ladies.

My excitement for the SCROG method is dwindling. Any thoughts or input from you wizards would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Your setup sounds spot on. Don't be afraid of the Scrog, no way that caused wispy buds. That being said, certainly sonething sounds fishy. Both sets of seeds from the same source? No issues with a male plant at all....ever in that tent? No way pollen could have gotten in your tent? Why do you suspect hermie?

These are clones from the first batch of seeds, I popped 5 in total and clones came randomly from each before i put into flower.

I suppose its my worst fear in this scenario, In the last generation there was one plant that looked similar to this. It looked very spindly compared to the others in the tent and it streched 2-3x more than the others. While the others were fattening up this one continued to stretch for weeks. After a bunch of research I immediately thought hermie and pulled it. I didn't see any issues with the remaining plants all the way through to flower, and found no seeds in the bud.

These look like what my suspected hermie from the last batch looked like super long and stretchy.

I can't confirm if it actually was a hermaphrodite, it was my first grow, and I'm still pretty green.

Let's see if we can get some answers from pros. I'm pretty new to the breeding/sexing of plants. @Jackalope, @Pennywise,@Kingjoe83.....you guys have some ideas?

There you go.....Derbs, that's what's happening? But he's way deep into flower....

I think it's trying to reveg. Were the plants in flower when you took the clones? I had the same thing happen. I culled mine
Watch his temps if the environment is off in flower high heat humidity it could re veg as well.

Thanks for joining in guys.

I took clones right prior to switching 12/12 from the first generation, and then took clones again before switching them over this gen as well.

My temps can drop down to 16 C at night in the basement/tent, and my thermo reads highest temp is 26 C. I do keep the thermo on a magnet to the air cooled hood, I suppose it could be a bit hotter under the light?

If re-vegging, should I just keep em on the same feeding schedule and continue to flower for a few more weeks?

I had said earlier that your setup sounded spot in. Fuck eh, that simple eh guys? @LoGiK287 is that what's going on? So the light leak has caused your clones to think its time to reveg, only your nutrients and lighting is telling your girls otherwise.
So why all of them on this round and only 1 last round? Strange!

Here hold my beer!!!! LMAO I don't even drink. It could be light getting in that might cause regrowth if that is what it is. That would be the case if maybe there were changes made. Did anything change?
Sure doesn't look anything like any Blue Dream I have seen. Looks more like a throwback to its Thai heritage. Which is buried pretty deep in Blue Dream genetics. Thai had wispy buds. That is one reason why they tied it onto sticks. It is a hell of a reach but could happen.

Ok all great stuff guys, thank you very much for the input.

To further the story:

In the last harvest the one that I culled early (the suspected hermie) was in the closest corner to my air intake tubing which I suspected was allowing light to leak in.

It seems that my efforts to light proof the tent for this round of flowering may have failed :rip:

I think you guys may have nailed it, I'm going to be checking my setup all over today for light leaks. I'm glad to know that it's not hermaphrodite problem, but re-vegging occurring.

I plan to let them go for another couple weeks and see what happens. I'll post some end photos just for the hell of it.

Again, big thanks!!

ECG for the win lol.....You guys nailed it there I'm sure. Hey buddy, we all learn everyday. Some are more bitter lessons than others. Derbs right, you're girls are a good size! Lesson learned my friend.....

So I chopped everything down on Sunday and hung it in it's entirety to dry. I didn't bother trimming anything, doesn't look like I'm going to have much for smoke-able bud. Turned out to be a fair amount of plant and plenty of trichromes, but incredibly thin growth. I plan to run it through the trusty bubble bags and see what I can turn out from there.

The next generation is looking better... Although I am 40 days into 12/12 and they still look to be stretching, and I am seeing a few 1 leaf shoots popping out top just like last generation. I'm sure I have these light tight, starting to worry I might have picked a bad mother plant.

I have a single blueberry in the midst of my stretchy blue dream and it is growing fat buds everywhere in comparison.

Here are some of the blueberry colas:

In comparison to my blue dream colas:

And the newest ladies moved into the most recent harvested tent.

Maybe bad genetics?

Cheers guys,

All things considered, your harvest, your light issue and your other girl to compare to, I can't see it being anything other than genetics....
All the girls are from the same mom then? I have to admit, i havent gone back to the beginning of your journal to see your setup but everything else looks to be fine. Normally Id say those colas would fill in but judging by last result and ultimately not having changed anything.......

Back
Top Bottom