Seed Storage Question

Bush Doctor 77

I just took advantage of Seedsman's Summer Sale and stocked up on genetics. I've always stored my seeds in the fridge in a mason jar. Every year or so, I add a drop or 2 of water to the jar to make up for moisture lost when the jar is opened. Had seeds last 7-10 years this way. Any suggestions on a better method would be appreciated.

BTW Seedsman: seeds got to Montana in 2 weeks and were mailed to me from inside the US.

I copied this from a well known member's post from earlier(which was copied from a seedbank's posting). Not sure if it helps in what you are looking for.

Seed Storage
Seeds are best stored long-term in a cool and dry place. A refrigerator at 5-8°C/41-46.5°F is ideal. Do not freeze the seeds as they may be damaged when they thaw. Place your seeds in a zip bag and small tupperware box to ensure that they remain dry. You can also put some rice or a bag of desiccant into the tupperware box to absorb any accidental moisture. Mandala seeds can remain viable for 3+ years with little or no loss in germination. This is a biological product and we cannot predict or guarantee the length of viability.

I just keep mine in my sock drawer,grew one out recently that was at least 5 years old.
If I put them in my fridge,I might never see them again....

I copied this from a well known member's post from earlier(which was copied from a seedbank's posting). Not sure if it helps in what you are looking for.

Seed Storage
Seeds are best stored long-term in a cool and dry place. A refrigerator at 5-8°C/41-46.5°F is ideal. Do not freeze the seeds as they may be damaged when they thaw. Place your seeds in a zip bag and small tupperware box to ensure that they remain dry. You can also put some rice or a bag of desiccant into the tupperware box to absorb any accidental moisture. Mandala seeds can remain viable for 3+ years with little or no loss in germination. This is a biological product and we cannot predict or guarantee the length of viability.

I had seen something very similar, except for the "no freezer" part. Definitely cool, dark, and dry are the keys. I have mine in a zipper lock bag, with several desiccant packs, all in the chest freezer. Whenever I need a seed or two, I pull the whole bag out, and let it come to room temperature before breaking the zipper seal.

But I've only been growing since March, so those are my oldest seeds LOL.

Back
Top Bottom