What Size Mason Jars for Bud Storage?

Hawk518

32 or 64. 32 is quart size. i use mostly the 20 - 24 ounce mason type jars that you get with spaghetti sauce.

A 32 ounce mason jar holds about an ounce.

Using a bigger one is fine as long as there is no problem with your weed. If there is a problem, then it spreads through out the jar.

Guess what? Gallon size sealing baggies do the same job with a plus that if you drop one you aren't trying to pick out glass from your grow.

How about that? My mentor taught me this years ago and he has been doing it for more than 25 years.

This is for my first grow and I have Zero idea what to expect.
Just hoping to have something to harvest!
Keep in mind that it should get better each harvest from here on out. Your harvest should increase in amounts and quality as you get more experience and confidence.

What size Mason Jars should I purchase to store buds in?
Your choice. The larger the jar the fewer that will be needed but the downside is that if something goes wrong there is the chance that everything in that jar might have to be tossed. Not saying that something is going to go wrong but like everything else in life we have to keep in mind that eventually something is going to happen.

I'm assuming I should buy wide mouths, but what size - 16, 32 or 64 oz jars?
Having a selection is probably best if you keep growing. As mentioned the 32 fluid oz or quart jar is popular. It holds a decent amount and is easy to handle. Plus there are a lot of them available.The half-gallon or 64 ounce seems to be a bit awkward but it certainly holds a lot.

When the quart jar starts to get half full I like to move what is left over to the pint (16 fluid ounce) jar.

Then there are several sizes that you have not mentioned. There is the 20 oz which is a tall straight sided wide mouth jar and that is one really convenient sized jar. For the personal stash which is in the bedroom dresser drawer my favorites are the 8 and 4 ounce jar.

I buy the regular size lids and the large mouth. The wide mouth might be a bit easier to get everything in and out but in the long run I really do not notice much difference between them. Plus, the large mouth can sometimes cost a bit more than the same sized jar in regular.

The jars will last forever. When the ring starts to get worn out looking they can be bought in boxes of 12 rings and 12 lids. If the lid itself (the flat piece that fits inside the ring) wears out they can be replaced by buying just small box of lids.

Photos>>>>>>>>>

Was buying fresh produce at a farm market and the guy asked if I wanted some canning jars. One of the regular customers said she was reducing her stockpile since the kids had moved out and had no interest. So I said I would take a few and he handed me a box full of these.

The colors are just colored glass and nothing more. But, there are UV Resistant jars, usually found in just the 32 oz size but the cost might be more than most of us want to pay.
full

Some oddball sizes and shapes. The first one is a wide mouth 4 ounce and convenient for small amounts. The 3rd jar is a 6 or 8 ounce jelly jar, also a convenient size.

full

The center jar is a 4 oz jelly jar. I find these the most convenient for small amounts as shown in the next photo.
full

The same size jar as the center one in the above photo. This is great for the dresser drawer stash. I am not handling larger quantities so reducing the chance of dropping or an accidental spill. Really great if going to visit someone for a party or an overnight camping trip, etc. Just grab the jar and a pack of papers and hit the road.
full

What size Mason Jars should I purchase to store buds in?
I'm assuming I should buy wide mouths, but what size - 16, 32 or 64 oz jars?
This is for my first grow and I have Zero idea what to expect.
Just hoping to have something to harvest!

Thanks!

:thanks:
I’m using the quart size wide mouth jars 🫙. They work great 👍. Not very expensive either. CL🍀

I'm a bag person now and I'm unfortunately left with a bunch of jars that don't really have a purpose anymore.
While I think they work great, it just doesn't scale well for me... too many jars to monitor and open.
Though the grove bags are a bit expensive, I can get multiple uses out of them and it's just easier and more convenient.

Really though, whether it's jars or bags, I think the answer depends on how much bud you want to store...
You should always have a bit of headroom available and avoid overfilling things but too much room just means more oxygen and that your stash will dry out quicker.

I just wanted to mention for those using jars where light is a concern, you can always paint or tape up the jar so it isn't clear. Papier mache too if you are artsy. (just to clarify, I don't do this personally, I'd rather be able to see clearly - a tradeoff I guess but the jars can be covered other ways.)

I have tried a few methods for storage and find glass is always better. I keep my current use stash in a small 'apothecary' type glass jar (couple bux at wallymart) and all the rest I keep in various size mason jars. I find the size only ever matters if one goes bad, so while the big ones are way more convenient to pack and check on, the small ones are way less loss if the wrong spore/germ gets inside.

Start with quart jars. When you learn to grow you can then move up to 1/2 gal when you get tired of burping. I personally like the 62% Boveda pacs also. I hear lots of good things about bags and stuff but I am pleased with the old school jar method. Affordable too. My 2 cents

I just wanted to mention for those using jars where light is a concern, you can always paint or tape up the jar so it isn't clear. Papier mache too if you are artsy. (just to clarify, I don't do this personally, I'd rather be able to see clearly - a tradeoff I guess but the jars can be covered other ways.)

I have tried a few methods for storage and find glass is always better. I keep my current use stash in a small 'apothecary' type glass jar (couple bux at wallymart) and all the rest I keep in various size mason jars. I find the size only ever matters if one goes bad, so while the big ones are way more convenient to pack and check on, the small ones are way less loss if the wrong spore/germ gets inside.
I keep mine in a closed cabinet so light is not a concern. But that makes sense and is something I never thought 💭 about ( contamination). CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom