Seedlings' leaves drying - Can't find the reason

GuerrillaWarf

Hello,

I've planted my seeds a few weeks ago. In the last week the seedlings lost color, started getting yellow and one of them started drying out. I've been reading trying to find the causes but nothing really is helping. The soil had nutients and I watered one time with a nutrient solution that I bought in a grow shop (I've followed the instructions on the bottle). I use a fluorescent light source that sits at about 30cm from the plants.

I'm going to post photos of each one, I hope someone can help me figure out to save at least one of them.

IMG_17112015_201720.jpg

IMG_17112015_201811.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

Seedlings' leaves drying. Can't find the reason.

First of all, I'm a newbie but I may have some ideas.. (I'm sure the veterans will chime in!)

1. You seedling is far too small for nutrients at this stage...let it establish. As you said, your soil has nutrients already.

2. Never apply the full dose of nutrients listed on the bottle when you DO start feeding...start at 1/4 or 1/2 strength and see how the plant reacts.

My guess is nutrient burn...hopefully a more knowledgable person can confirm or correct !

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Definitely -extreme nute burn. You could try transplanting into new soil as a last ditch attempt to save them, though it would make sense to sprout a few seeds and start fresh.
Get some seedling starter mix- something with very low nutrient levels. Don't feed anything for the first three weeks or so. Some great info in here. Good luck. :thumb:
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Thank you all for the quick replies! I've transplanted to new soil... I'm still hoping at least one can be saved. I'll post back the results :)

Hi again,

20 days later I'm doing an update on my seedlings :)
One of them didn't make it, the other one started growing new green leaves. It is growing very very slowly and some of the new leaves have started to turn purple on the edges. The first of the new leaves turned almost all purple. They seem to be turning purple from the bottom up, the first to turn where the leaves closer to the ground.

I've been looking for reasons on the internet and what I found doesn't seem to fit my situation:
- Phosphorus deficiency - I read that this is caused because of pH and lack of nutrients in the soil. I use 6.2 pH water and I moved the plant to new soil 3 weeks ago.
- Cold environment - The room where the plant is is surely above 20ºC all the time. I would say close to 25ºC, I haven't used a thermometer but it's not cold...
- Nutrient burn - Seems to be the cause of almost all problems ^^ I used a soil with nutrients but I haven't added nutrients to the water since I moved the plant to new soil 3 weeks ago.

I'm not being able to find the cause of this. I'm posting new photos in the hope that someone recognizes this symptoms.

Thank you in advance for the help ;)

If you don't mind could you take a look at the new pictures, Rifleman. Thank you in advance for the help :D

I am at a loss my friend. My biggest guess would be slow growth due to the overdose of nutrients, and possibly from over watering after the replant. How often are you watering? On a schedule? What ph? Also what kind of light are you using and how far above ?

When a plant is nute burned, not only the leaves are burnt, but also the roots. Your plant barely has anything left and is on life support. If it is put in a seedling starter soil mix, or soilless mix like promix, sunshine mix, or coco, with little or no nutrients, given perfect conditions (ph, temps, moisture level, lighting) it will start to recover. Any added stress like overwatering, or more nutrients in the soil, are going to hit it hard. If you get conditions right it will slowly start to turn around. Growth is exponential. It takes roots and foliage to grow more roots and foliage.
If you have good conditions now, a new seed planted will take off and leave this one in the dust, giving you a healthy plant to work with while you wait for the sick one to recover. Good luck ;)

Back
Top Bottom