Sensi Star Grow

Hey what's up b.real? Man I put what I thought was composted weed plant debris and used soil from previous grows into the bottom of these pots to conserve my SSM#4, and most of them are doing bad. Turns out the weed plant debris rotted instead of composting. They're having a hard time. They look like my Charlotte's Web grow when all the roots got burnt from the hot mix I planted them in. I think almost all of my grows are going to be with full nute schedules made by the pros from now on. I'll experiment on the side instead of most of the time with most of my grows.

is that's what's going on with the odd colors on the leaves? in my opinion I think they are/were a little overfed. don't change what you're doing though, they grew into it and look strong.

Yep I should have stopped feeding when I saw the leaves start to curl up from hitting the bad soil and flushed them all then. These are light feeders and I wish I would have recognized the problem sooner. I'm doing another compost tea tomorrow and I'll dilute it to 1/2 strength with RO water when I use it on these. I'm finishing this grow out at 1/2 strength nutes also.

that sounds like a good plan. when I notice odd coloring on a lot of leaves I always think too much food. when I notice spotty discoloration and/or problems with only a few leaves I think deficiency.

This aerated compost/manure tea is going to be diluted to 1/2 strength tomorrow when it's done bubbling:

4 gallons of RO water
4 tsp. of unsulfured molasses
1 cup of organic compost
1 cup of earthworm castings
1 cup of mushroom compost
1 cup of Alaskan forest humus
1/4 cup of Organic Foothill Fertilizer .5-4-4
4 Tbsp. of SuperSwell 0-7-0
4 tsp. of kelp meal 1-0-2

Here's the label from the Organic Foothill Fertilizer:

0021799.JPG

I'm going to add 40 ml. of HygroZyme, 8 tsp. of CaMg+, and 16 ml. of organic micronutrients to this when it's done bubbling tomorrow.

Just catching up here. You are half way to harvest, Looks good :)

Thanks for the compliment fghtsmallcell, but I don't deserve it on this grow. I'll get pics up soon and you'll see why. The dampness of the pots they are in hasn't dried one bit since the flush I did on them, but they look like they're slightly recovering. It's a bad time in flower for it to happen. The overbreeding traits on all of them are causing clustering, which in the past has led to grey mold in my grows. My humidity problems (very high relative humidity in my area the entire Summer, and no air circulation in my units) are for the most part over, so I may be okay this time.

Sensi Star - 5 weeks and 6 days of 12/12 (the plant in the upper left corner is something else):

0012043.JPG

Only a few of the plants look somewhat okay:

0022026.JPG
0051721.JPG

The rest:

0031946.JPG
0041823.JPG
0061515.JPG

See what I mean? They still have a little time, so I may be able to make them look better by chop. Not all the way better, though..... :)

A few shots of the lower buds, which don't look bad:

0071427.JPG
0081311.JPG
0101068.JPG

But all in all, they're not recovering. I put them up higher to get them off the cement floor and now light bleach is burning up everything that's exposed directly to the light:

0091168.JPG

I'm looking into a taller tent and maybe I'll test it to see if I can go the Winter without cooling the light ballast.

my plants don't drink as much towards the end either. my kali bubba is slowing down her water intake so I know she's almost ready to chop. my snow white on the other hand is still drinking like a champ.

your sensi star looks ripe in that last picture :ganjamon:

I see some nice looking frost. Even though your not super stoked about your current grow, it looks like you will get some nice buds.

I'm learning to look at the silver lining, COorganics. This will give me some more extraction practice material :)
The last 4 plants of this grow are now in a dark closet awaiting chop. I knew from seeing breeding deformities in my past grows that clustering of nodes and branches meant a risk of grey mold, and upon inspection I saw it on a plant today. :( I've got a lot of good things going on and a bit of overcrowding due to tweeking my grow units and feeding practices; I didn't expecting such good results from it. None of these plants are taking in water and they just keep getting worse every day. I've got room now for the rest of my plants, but I'm still considering keeping a clone of this; I have a few in the bottom of the mother pots.
I'll post pics when I get a chance and before I close this journal.

Here's a pic of the chopped plants on a plate. They are nice and frosty for being chopped early and grown unhealthy:

0012063.JPG

If I had it to do all over again I'd not use any attempt at compost until I have a good way to do it; rot occurs if this isn't the case. Depending on the level of wetness of each pot, the smells of the soil ranged from ammonia to slight rotten egg. The roots didn't look too bad but they were a bit brown in color. I'll post a pic of one of the trimmed up dried nugs to close this journal out and thanks everybody sorry they didn't turn out better. :)

Thanks b.real damn man I've chopped a White S1, 818 Headband x GDP, and a Free Tibet plant lately and this one is turning out to be the sleeper in the bunch :) Grew crappy as you can see from this dried pic:

0031972.JPG

but I started to crumble the dried leaf tips off the buds and noticed the look of most of it:

0022053.JPG
0012072.JPG

I just put it in a gallon plastic freezer bag; I'll go through it when I get time to fill the extraction tube and pick out some better buds to keep.

In summary, I blew this grow for a number of reasons - trying to reuse soil with rotting pot leaves and branches in it caused stress to the root systems of most of these. And just because it's compost tea doesn't mean you can't overfeed a plant with it. I may be able to feed every time and not overfeed with compost teas, as a book I bought says (Teaming With Microbes), but those feedings have to be half strength if the breeder calls for it, as this one did. So add overfeeding the plants to the problem. And to finish it off, the compost/manure tea I'm using needs work (more K) and I now know to use heavy feedings with CaMg+ after 3 weeks of growth.
The pot has a decent buzz to it for being chopped early and a lot of kief falls out of the grinder too :) It has an earthy smell and a peppery taste to it with a bit of kief taste in the background.
Thanks everybody for the advice and posts :thumb: I'm gonna close this journal out now. Didn't like the overbreeding traits but I liked the weed and the way it grew even with my mistakes, so I guess I'd recommend this strain (not strongly though, and don't feed it heavy if you do grow it).

ooh ooh ooh, AHH AHH AHH!!!!!

:420:

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom