Setup and recommendations

Not really wanting to spend $500-$1000 on a sunsystem. The $400 is already over budget by $100 for everything else I have to get as well.

I understand but the one you posted up for $389 is really not much of a good deal though. I mean if you're going to spend anywhere near $400, then you should definitely look at some other options because those ones are just over-priced versions of the same stuff you can find on eBay for $100-$200 less.

Screenshot_2017-11-23_12-38-09.png

The only thing missing from that is a E39 base (big edison screw type) reflector/hood. I've found them as low as $50-$60 for a full cooled hood setup, and even less for a simple batwing reflector, so final cost would be anywhere from $220-$250 for a full setup with lamp.

There's also some Grower'sChoice models available for about $270 that have great ratings. They come with their own lamp, but you can replace it with the Phillips down the line.

I understand but the one you posted up for $389 is really not much of a good deal though. I mean if you're going to spend anywhere near $400, then you should definitely look at some other options because those ones are just over-priced versions of the same stuff you can find on eBay for $100-$200 less.

Screenshot_2017-11-23_12-38-09.png

The only thing missing from that is a E39 base (big edison screw type) reflector/hood. I've found them as low as $50-$60 for a full cooled hood setup, and even less for a simple batwing reflector, so final cost would be anywhere from $220-$250 for a full setup with lamp.

There's also some Grower'sChoice models available for about $270 that have great ratings. They come with their own lamp, but you can replace it with the Phillips down the line.

Any chance they have the same prices on amazon? I don't do ebay. Amazon is my go to place.

Any chance they have the same prices on amazon? I don’t do ebay. Amazon is my go to place.

Yep, that's Amazon actually, I just can't link you to a non-sponsor site. That's the kit I'm saving up for so of course I would personally advocate for it, but honestly having looked into CMH lighting for a few months now, I have a big problem with 90% of the $300 range options I've seen. Most of them are just the same cheap ballasts and reflectors bought wholesale and branded by one company. It's just a really new a fledgling market and I think a lot of people are being taken advantage of, and others are seeing it as impossible to get into because of the inflated prices.

But yeah I just didn't want you to think it was totally inaccessible if you wanted to go the CMH route. It's not necessarily "the way" to go, especially if you consider the cost of the lamps. I mean they say a 20,000 hour lifespan, but typically you're not going to want to run it until it dies anyway since the performance will have dwindled over that time. That's why HPS users advocate changing the lamp out after at most 2 flowering cycles, so that way you have a fresh 100% output from the lamp. It's actually very affordable to do that with HPS lamps, but with $80 CMH lamps that could get costly.

That's the kit I would go with. My main desire for it is that I can't even run a 600 W setup because I have crappy old wiring, so I want to be able to get more light output on a limited electrical overhead. If you don't have those kind of restrictions. the other practical factors of MH/HPS might be more desirable to you.

Yep, that's Amazon actually, I just can't link you to a non-sponsor site. That's the kit I'm saving up for so of course I would personally advocate for it, but honestly having looked into CMH lighting for a few months now, I have a big problem with 90% of the $300 range options I've seen. Most of them are just the same cheap ballasts and reflectors bought wholesale and branded by one company. It's just a really new a fledgling market and I think a lot of people are being taken advantage of, and others are seeing it as impossible to get into because of the inflated prices.

But yeah I just didn't want you to think it was totally inaccessible if you wanted to go the CMH route. It's not necessarily "the way" to go, especially if you consider the cost of the lamps. I mean they say a 20,000 hour lifespan, but typically you're not going to want to run it until it dies anyway since the performance will have dwindled over that time. That's why HPS users advocate changing the lamp out after at most 2 flowering cycles, so that way you have a fresh 100% output from the lamp. It's actually very affordable to do that with HPS lamps, but with $80 CMH lamps that could get costly.

That's the kit I would go with. My main desire for it is that I can't even run a 600 W setup because I have crappy old wiring, so I want to be able to get more light output on a limited electrical overhead. If you don't have those kind of restrictions. the other practical factors of MH/HPS might be more desirable to you.

I'll look into it and see what I can come up with in separate instead of the kit then. Especially sense it'll save me money. Thanks for the advice.

Are there any with the 630w cmh without the reflector hood? I don't want to buy 2 315w because I'd be in the same boat as having to spend $500 and I don't really have room for 2 lights, but instead just need 1 630w

Are there any with the 630w cmh without the reflector hood? I don’t want to buy 2 315w because I’d be in the same boat as having to spend $500 and I don’t really have room for 2 lights, but instead just need 1 630w

I couldn't tell you because I never looked into the 630s. I'm limited by my electrical overhead so can't run anything more than 400, that's why I was looking into the 315s. Your best bet would be to check out that Grower's House website that sells that kit through Amazon.

I couldn't tell you because I never looked into the 630s. I'm limited by my electrical overhead so can't run anything more than 400, that's why I was looking into the 315s. Your best bet would be to check out that Grower's House website that sells that kit through Amazon.

Honestly I'm not sure what my outlet will output in wattage. Would be bad if it threw my breaker. I'll have to look into that more before I get this stuff. The light and fan together might be to much for it to handle.

So I actually just checked my wattage output and it can handle 1,800w where I'm gonna set it up at.

If you're in a modern home it's not very likely that any of these will trip a breaker. I live in an apartment that was converted from a hotel that was built in the 1970s, so I have like 30 amps to work with. You probably have a 200 amp service box. My place is so old it doesn't even have breakers, it uses fuses :p

If you're in a modern home it's not very likely that any of these will trip a breaker. I live in an apartment that was converted from a hotel that was built in the 1970s, so I have like 30 amps to work with. You probably have a 200 amp service box. My place is so old it doesn't even have breakers, it uses fuses :p

I'm in a 20 year old mobile home. So yeah it's more modern but the break does flip every now and then if I don't watch what I plug in. 2 1,500w heaters will flip the breaker if it's on the same line.

Is the Gorilla 4x4 ($403 model) a real good tent?

I guess if you wanna pay $300 for the Gorilla logo. But you can find pretty sturdy tents of equal quality for $100 or less.

BudJaMon,

Well, that would be about 150 amps so I'm not too surprised especially if you run much other electronics that could add up to 50 amps. Amps equal wattage divided by voltage, so 3,000 w / 120v = 150 amps.

I'm gonna say you probably still have more than enough to not be too worried about it, but it doesn't seem like trying to save some electricity would hurt in your case. Especially because you might end up having to run some other appliances like air conditioners, space heaters, etc. to keep your environment in check.

I guess if you wanna pay $300 for the Gorilla logo. But you can find pretty sturdy tents of equal quality for $100 or less.

BudJaMon,

Well, that would be about 150 amps so I'm not too surprised especially if you run much other electronics that could add up to 50 amps. Amps equal wattage divided by voltage, so 3,000 w / 120v = 150 amps.

I'm gonna say you probably still have more than enough to not be too worried about it, but it doesn't seem like trying to save some electricity would hurt in your case. Especially because you might end up having to run some other appliances like air conditioners, space heaters, etc. to keep your environment in check.

I'll be running a 600w light, 70w in-line fan, 1,500w heater, and a window air unit. Obviously the heater in the winter and the air unit in the summer. Not sure what the unit pulls, but I can always try to run an extension cord from a different outlet on a separate breaker line. The room it'll be setup In are 15 amp outlets on the same line, but I've also got some 20, 30 and 40 amps that I can track down and if they are close by I can run off of 1 of them.

Back
Top Bottom