Slow growth after seed popping

naiknilesh

Hi All,

I am a first time grower and I have selected hydroponics for my first grow. I have used seed soaking & wet paper towel method for germination. Currently the seeds are in Jiffy Plugs and under 1*110 Watts 6500K 1*85 Watts 6500K CFL's. Seeds sprouted outside the Jiffy plugs on 17th August and today is 20th August but cannot see any leafs as yet. I am using Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect to control the Ph levels. And they seem to be hovering around 6.0 to 6.5.

I am not able to control the temperatures much as at my location since the normal temperatures are around 85- 90F. Humidity 80%. I have some computer fans to circulate the air around the plant which is controlled by a temperature switch.

I hope there is nothing wrong I am doing. Experts Please Help !!

Your temps are a bit high for bigger plants but just fine (IMO) for little ones like that. Humidity good.
The number one issue at this stage is overwatering. So keep an eye out for that. The rooting medium should be just barely moist- Fluffy and aerated with a hint of moisture- like cake or something- for lack of a better analogy. Wet soil/peat/whatever will rot the seedlings.

I have introduced drip water into the setup running every 6 hrs for 1 minute and today I have introduced more CFL watts into the grow box which would in turn increase the temp & vaporization thus drying out the jiffy plugs a little. I have kept the jiffy plugs on 1-1.5 cm of air stones not touching the water directly. Is there anything else you would suggest at this point. Moisture Doom etc..

Please suggest.

You may have to do a delicate operation to remove the shells if misting them doesn't let them come off on their own.

Are there net pots holding those rocks? Bit skimpy on the info about the setup. The more we know the better we can help.

You should dig a bit of a hole to set the plugs down in the rocks and bury it a bit so it's in a moister environment.

Bedtime for Bonzo. Will check in when I get up and get a couple coffees in me. :)

L8r

I have introduced drip water into the setup running every 6 hrs for 1 minute and today I have introduced more CFL watts into the grow box which would in turn increase the temp & vaporization thus drying out the jiffy plugs a little. I have kept the jiffy plugs on 1-1.5 cm of air stones not touching the water directly. Is there anything else you would suggest at this point. Moisture Doom etc..

Please suggest.

Only 3 days have passed. Patience. I think your seedling is growing good so far.

Don't let the jiffy plugs dry out. You need to maintain a balance of moist, but not wet standing water with jiffy plugs. Also, no fertilizers of any kind at that stage. You'll end up encouraging bad microbes if you feed and over water.

:goodluck:

Only 3 days have passed. Patience. I think your seedling is growing good so far.

Don't let the jiffy plugs dry out. You need to maintain a balance of moist, but not wet standing water with jiffy plugs. Also, no fertilizers of any kind at that stage. You'll end up encouraging bad microbes if you feed and over water.

:goodluck:

Today is the 21st and exactly 5 days from the day the seeds popped out from the jiffy plugs.

Changes done.

1) Stopped the drip water for now ( Not necessary)
2) Have increased the CFL wattage so I am seeing a little dryness today on the top. Not the shinny jiffy soil but is moist enough.
3) Misting of regular water done on the seed to soften the shell.
4) Added some more rocks to bury the jiffy plugs a bit.

Back
Top Bottom