Sman's Vertical Octagon Extravaganza

sman

I am Sman and this is my VOE. (Vertical Octagon Extravaganza)

I'll start with a few pics of the setting up of my Flower Room and Mother/clone room. My designs are inspired by several growers.

Red_Greenery, 420fied, Mr Smith, to name a few.

The first page will be reserved for progress and updates. (I'm not a fan of sifting through pages and pages looking for updates, although tons of good information and knowledge can be found between.)

Started with ONE Berry White and five SwtCindy99's...
IMAG07262.jpg

IMAG07271.jpg
IMAG07282.jpg
IMAG07291.jpg
IMAG07431.jpg
IMAG07441.jpg

light upgrade
IMAG07481.jpg
IMAG07491.jpg

The rest of the seeds FINALLY came in...

IMAG07502.jpg
IMAG07511.jpg
IMAG07521.jpg
IMAG07533.jpg
IMAG07543.jpg
IMAG07552.jpg
IMAG07561.jpg
IMAG07572.jpg
IMAG07582.jpg
IMAG07591.jpg

Those plugs work great. If I ever have to start from seed again I'd use them. Every seed I've EVER planted in them sprouted. No pre soak or paper towls. Just plant them straight in, water one time, bazinga.
IMAG07602.jpg

IMAG07612.jpg
IMAG07621.jpg
IMAG07632.jpg
IMAG07641.jpg
IMAG07651.jpg

Can't be too safe, a wise investment.
IMAG07781.jpg

It was getting close to cloning time so I went to *mart, grabbed the biggest tub I could find and made a 100 unit aero/cloner.
IMAG07792.jpg
IMAG07802.jpg

The whole hole-saw thing didn't work out too well for me.
IMAG07823.jpg

Switched to RaZor blade method..
IMAG07812.jpg

Also didn't work out too well for me..
IMAG07841.jpg
IMAG07861.jpg

1. That plastic is tough stuff..
2. For now on, use ONLY Rubbermaid brand. I've tried cutting ALL the different types of material these tubs are made out of and most will agree, and I concur, Rubbermad slices like butter compared to the others.
3. The tub I'm using is sterilite. I have to keep the cloner in the bathtube because it leaks bad. I have to refill it everyday. However, I recently made a new one with the Rubbermaid Roughneck, cut the holes with razor blade easily, and NO LEAKS..
4. If you are going to use a different brand anyway, I recommend getting some tin snips they might save you a stabbin'.

IMAG08051.jpg

Picture_001114.jpg

Picture_00598.jpg

Shower time..
Picture_004110.jpg

Picture_01063.jpg

Started construction on the Flower Room-within-a-room and one of the octagons.

Picture_00771.jpg
Picture_00868.jpg
Picture_01259.jpg

Also started setting up the mother area for the aero/RUBBERMAIDs to hurry and get rid of the DIRT! There are gnats in the dirt and are annoying to a clean-ist.
Picture_00968.jpg
Picture_01156.jpg
Picture_01346.jpg

and that's about it.

1. I still need to sex them.
2. Clones are beginning to root.
3. I can take more cuts from the 'mothers'.
4. I need to make a more efficient space/clone area. I will be needing lots of clones for this octagon.
5. Finish constructing the room-within-a-room for flowering area. I am going to frame it up and use one layer of insulated foam wall/sheet, staple some poly to it, and put up 'orca reflective film'.
6. I still need to run the power. Thinking of putting a 60A sub-panel in the bathroom and running FOUR (15A) circuits. Two 600w (5.5a each) into ONE 15A circuit. Two more into another (15A). Leaving one 15A for misc and one for the mother/clone room.
7. Next, I just need to hurry up and wait. wait. wait. on the mother to grow so I can get clones clones clones.
8. They just seem to be growing slow. They are under, right now, 4' 4 light flo. Going to my new best friend (Lowes) to get the biggest one they have. probably a 6 or an 8.
9. Soon, I will have the tubs full with sexed mothers of each strain. Assuming the single femmed seeds are indeed fems. And the Berry White was the single seed in an entire pound I found. Hopefully it's a fem because Berry White was my 2nd most favorite. The look. The taste. The smell. The two word sentences..

Well looks like im the 1st to be subed ;) looks great man your putting alot of work into this!! your plants will def show you in return for your hard work! keep it up ur little ones look great so far!! keep it up

Sky rocket is all aboard but then wait, whats the specs in your system for example, nutes, lightng, a/c. Also it would much easier on your hand if you used a drilled with a 2" hole saw and drilled the holes instead of using a exacto knife. You would have saved some blood to donate to the needy. Lol. One more thing what is your time set to water your clones? I always use 5 minutes off 1 minute on.

Are you putting some kind of plastic sheeting or pond liner under the octagon? Spills are inevitable and I see carpet.

The room will be completely wrapped in poly. I will glue 'Orca reflective film to cardboard panels, and Velcro the panels to the octagon walls. I will make photos when the time comes.

whats the specs in your system for example, nutes, lightng, a/c. Also it would much easier on your hand if you used a drilled with a 2" hole saw and drilled the holes instead of using a exacto knife. You would have saved some blood to donate to the needy. Lol. One more thing what is your time set to water your clones? I always use 5 minutes off 1 minute on.

Nutes = (except clone solution) All Botanicare line (all organic I believe) : Pure Blend Pro Grow/Bloom, Hydroplex, Liquid Karma, Cilica Blast, Cal-Mag Plus, sweet and clearX.

Lighting = (2) 600w Lumatec per octagon.

A/C = 6'' exhaust fan connected to the cooltubes and 8'' exhaust fan connected to a Phresh Carbon Filter for the room.

Each Octagon is roughly 5'x5'. The Room-within-a-room is 6'3''x10'5''x8'5'' (LxWxH)

Time set on the pump right now is 1/10. HOWEVER, when I rebuild with RUBBERMAIND, aka, NO LEAKY, it will be back to 1/5.

Well, it looks like my whole "reserve for updates" plan was a major fail. It seems the option to edit any of them do not appear. However, I have the option to edit only the posts from today. Do I have a time limit to edit posts here on 420mag?

I'm using R/O
new80.jpg

how they look right now.
new_0019.jpg

this mornings construction, ran out of materials, will go to HD for more supplies tomorrow.
new_0028.jpg

NUTES
new_0038.jpg

PH meter with calibrators and cleaning/storage.
new_0047.jpg
new_0064.jpg

Do I have a time limit to edit posts here on 420mag?

High sman,

Yes, there is a 7 hour (420 minutes ;)) time limit to make edits. Sorry for the inconvenience. I've deleted all of those extra posts so that your journal wouldn't look messy. :Namaste:

Good luck with your grow! :cheer:

Looking sweet bro! :thumb: I'll be following along for sure! :popcorn:

High sman,

Yes, there is a 7 hour (420 minutes ;)) time limit to make edits. Sorry for the inconvenience. I've deleted all of those extra posts so that your journal wouldn't look messy. :Namaste:

Good luck with your grow! :cheer:

Thank you! And that's why I love you guys :)

Ok so my 100 unit cloner was just too inefficient, that brand was too hard to cut and made it leaky. It ran dry and kill my clones..
IMG_007925.jpg

not to worry though, they were just test clones anyway of clippings I used to top/prune the mothers so they'd make more branches. I traded it up for my old way, with walmart water bottle ice tube maker and fine vermiculite.

old way
user149498_pic448447_1280763690.jpg

Well, they didn't have any of those so I bought a narrow seed starter tray. holds 72 and will fit in a space 1/4 the size of the inefficient 100 unit one.

IMG_007716.jpg

how they look after clones were taken, in a few weeks, they will be so bushy!

IMG_007519.jpg

IMG_007618.jpg

IMG_007823.jpg

p.s. Why are there so many gnats in my dirt? I can't wait to get the frekin things sexed so I can just get rid of it (the soil)!

p.s. Why are there so many gnats in my dirt? I can't wait to get the frekin things sexed so I can just get rid of it (the soil)!

I didn't see what brand you were using, but some like Roots Organic were a fungus gnat central for a while! The sticky traps like you have there will kill them before they lay more eggs, I'd just get a couple more...

One thing I'll add about DIY cloners, is that I used to run the hole saw backwards when cutting...it took longer, but cut a nice smooth hole.

:Namaste:

Get some Companion and give them a dose once a week. The gnats will disappear.

:peace:

Holy crap. I was too high last night. Not Companion (though it is great stuff). Use Bt-i to get rid of gnats. The brand name is usually Gnatrol, though it is often renamed because it gets repackaged a lot. Sorry about the bad info. Bt-i (bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis) is what you want.

Holy crap. I was too high last night. Not Companion (though it is great stuff). Use Bt-i to get rid of gnats. The brand name is usually Gnatrol, though it is often renamed because it gets repackaged a lot. Sorry about the bad info. Bt-i (bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis) is what you want.

Yup! :thumb:

Same thing that's used in mosquito dunks! They kill all larva...mosquito, fungus gnat...whatever! You're basically waging biological warfare on the little bastards...I love organics!

:Namaste:

Found the males and killed them, the berry white was male :( and 2 of the 5 swtcindy99s. After transplanting the rooted female clones into their new home, a leak in my silicone almost killed them all. Fixed the leak, then another leak almost killed them all again. All leaks fixed 100% but the stress may have killed some of the cindy99s because they are slowly dieing off while the other strains recovering and producing healthy roots.

The mother room stays between 75 and 80 degrees.
Ph has been a constant 5.8-5.9.
Res temp stays linear with room temp, can't use a chiller in there so I am starting the frozen 2 liter method. If this doesn't work I will revamp to a "hempy bucket" or something... For the mother room that is.

If the cindy continues to die off I have 5 more beans, but the other strains seem to be 60% better off. I can attribute this to poor root development of the Cindy vs the others.

I'll judge what to do in a cpl days of lower restemps, because that is really the only thing not in alignment according to what I know.

I should have already started flowering but it is taking longer than I imagined to get the amount of mothers and clones needed. (is 3 months not enough time starting by seed) I feel like I should have already filled the mother unit and be taking clones from them right now, but it's not filled yet and will be 2 months behind schedule starting June. Where as the original plan was to be harvesting by June.

Hurry plants groooooow hurry!

as of right now, 8 plants flowering, 16 mothers (slooooowly recovering, some still dieing; all put into hempys and lookin better) and started about 70 or so bag seeds (random good strains) that are now seedlings. when they mature just a little they will go straight into to my hempy converted octagon. (it is important to convert anything DIY to you own application). I have found aero is a huge pain. pumps/temps/sprayer clogs. all that nonsense and for what? a harvest that is just as good? I'll post pics of everything soon.

Back
Top Bottom