Some yellowing leaves during flowering: Is this ok?

NewlyGrowin

Hi folks.

Stats:
Northern lights Auto
Grown outdoor only
Watering turns out to be about twice a week, I alternate nutrients with regular water
We are about 2 weeks into flowering and things look really good compared to my last grow.

If I am understanding, during flowering you could start to see some yellowing in some leaves. I just wanted to make sure I wan't missing anything. I looked at all the threads out there related to yellowing leaves due to something being wrong and they really don't look like any of the pictures I have seen so am thinking it is ok?

I have a cage over it because my dog likes to munch on it and the white powder is diatomaceous earth for pests. I had some grasshoppers and leaf miners early on and this seemed to handle them well.

Thoughts?

Hard to see with the fence but looks like some nute issues
Leaf yellowing in flower usually starts at the bottom not mid plant

Water pH?
Type and amount of nutes yer using?
Any calmag?

I agree with Chris looks like nutrients issue. The yellowing in flower is usually at the end. During flushing. Or basically when the plant is in her end days. And carefull with the de during flower it will stick to the buds. And bam dirty weed.

I was checking PH in the beginning but the nutes are PH balanced so I didn't worry too much after checking it for a few weeks with nothing out of range. My water is consistently about 6.5 so that never needs changed. I have never checked runoff from the pot though.

I am using Advanced Nutrients Micro, Grow, Bloom and am using about half of what they tell me to use. I started off at about 25% and upped it gradually over time to the 50% I use now.

I have not used CalMag at all. If I don't need it will it hurt it if I try some?

I agree with Chris looks like nutrients issue. The yellowing in flower is usually at the end. During flushing. Or basically when the plant is in her end days. And carefull with the de during flower it will stick to the buds. And bam dirty weed.

Maybe I need to up the nutrients then? I can do that.

I am not overly concerned with the DE, I attempted a "bud wash" with lemon juice and baking soda on my first grow and it cleaned it up really well! Thanks for the heads up though, I will pay special attention to it.

Yer probably fine, it's not like it's really bad yet

I'd also pH yer water and nutes, just to be sure it's where it should be

Also, outdoor grows, look at companion plants for your area. Flowers and such that attract critters, they work great

Sage advice, thank you. I will start PHing my water and nutes more.

This was a completely new type of crop for me this year so I didn't know what to expect as far as pests. I planted the usuals, geraniums, rosemary, to deter the common things. I have a bottle of neem oil I am hesitant to use just because I don't want them on the buds. Next year will be easier, with better preparation. I need to basically deter grashoppers and leaf miners. That is pretty much the only thing I have seen this year.

So my first little harvest netted me 2 grams. (I know how to avoid being rootbound now) LOL, you can laugh it's ok. I have to say that the quality compares well to some bud I bought from the local dispensary as far as quality of smoke and the stone. I am having a blast growing this stuff!

Thanks for your input! I REALLY appreciate it!

Yer probably fine, it's not like it's really bad yet

I'd also pH yer water and nutes, just to be sure it's where it should be

Also, outdoor grows, look at companion plants for your area. Flowers and such that attract critters, they work great

Ok so here is where I am at...

I wasn't able to get CalMag quickly so I tried some epsom salts dissolved in water for my next watering.

My greens got greener, my yellows became greener but yellow is not fully green. I trimmed a few fan leaves off as they were too far gone.

Which made me think of PH again.

I calibrated my PH meter and PH'd the water I use with nutes in it. Almost dead on at 6.5.

Then I added about 20 ml of soil from one of my largest plants to about 40-50ml's of water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. That tested at 8.5-9. WAY alkaline.

I added enough lemon juice to my already mixed up fertilizer to get it around 6-is PH so that hopefully it would offset the alkalinity of the soil itself.

Is there a better way to calculate what ph the water should be if going into 7 gallons of PH 9.0 soil to make it around 6.5?

My thoughts would be to do a full pot flush with water PHed to 6.3 flush 2x the amount of water compared to pot size ie: 5g pot should take 10g flush. After flushing put a catch tray under your plant to catch last 10%. Proceed to then check ph of runoff water.

This is just one opinion though so take it as you may. @Chris Scorpio makes a great point about ph testing your water and nutes! PH plays such a big factor in these beautiful plants lives! Good luck

My thoughts would be to do a full pot flush with water PHed to 6.3 flush 2x the amount of water compared to pot size ie: 5g pot should take 10g flush. After flushing put a catch tray under your plant to catch last 10%. Proceed to then check ph of runoff water.

This is just one opinion though so take it as you may. @Chris Scorpio makes a great point about ph testing your water and nutes! PH plays such a big factor in these beautiful plants lives! Good luck

Thanks for the advice! I will give that a try over the weekend.

That’s what I would do. Good advice. Don’t forget to add neutriants back after you flush.

Another thing to look at is the color of the new growth, making sure those are greens and healthy. I believe once the leaf turns yellow it won't ever turn back to fully green. Interested to see how the flushing went, enjoy your grow!

Ph again.... Crazy.... I think most of the problems can be solved with good pH adjusting. It s often a good thing to check soil ph as it tends to go up with time even with ph adjusted nuts. Like others mention flushing is IMO the best thing to do anytime when having problem fixing nut deficiency or excess. It allows to reset things up and may be good to remove excess salts etc..

Back
Top Bottom