South Indian Sativa LED SOG Experiment

Here’s something I made in 2015,

image1486.jpeg

Made it using pvc pipes and I grew 4 auto white widows, I used about 150 actual watts of CFL light, a pair of 75w warm white and cool white per plant. Since they were autos I thought didn’t need to make a box, but I should have at least made a 3 side box (and should have had those 3 sides lined with reflective material) and should have had the front side open for ventilation.

I made a lot of mistakes, with lighting, getting the most of out my lights by using reflective material, my soil was always kinda overwatered, did not know how to use nutes AT ALL, and all I got was like 30 grams IN TOTAL, which is like 7.5 gram per plant... MASSIVE FAIL.

The bud wasnt tight, but it tasted amazing. Overall, it was a good learning experience.

This time I think I’m gonna do much better, better lighting, enclosed space with reflective material, better idea on how to use nutes, gonna use nice and airy fabric pots and add perlite to my soil to keep everything aerated and make sure the soil doesn’t stay too wet

Yup.. things are looking a bit more positive this time.

Thank you everyone for your input so far, can’t wait to get all my stuff together and get everything goin!

Just a note: General Hydroponics says to add their nutes in this order:
Ca/Mg
Micros
Anything else

To do otherwise is to risk making the nutrients unavailable. (I think it's related to the pH in the bottles.)
You are using a similar three-bottle solution, so I suggest that you do the same.

Yup, I'll absolutely follow this.

Calmag - micros - grow/bloom

After the mixing of nutes, I'll do a final ph reading, use a ph up or down if required.. and then give my plants a drink.

Sounds right?

Yup, I’ll absolutely follow this.

Calmag - micros - grow/bloom

After the mixing of nutes, I’ll do a final ph reading, use a ph up or down if required.. and then give my plants a drink.

Sounds right?

Yeah, though properly mixed nutrient solution should be about the right pH without adjustment in my experience--in the 6's.

Point noted!

I've got another question (WARNING: MIGHT BE A REALLY STUPID ONE)

Since you were talking about nutrient lockdown due to the variation in ph when different nutes are mixed in a specific order... should I test ph and make adjustment every time throughout the process??

For example : calmag - ph test/adjustment - Micro - ph test/adjustment - anything else - final ph test/adjustment ???

lol... I'm feeling stupid.. but I'd rather be safe than sorry .

Since you were talking about nutrient lockdown due to the variation in ph when different nutes are mixed in a specific order... should I test ph and make adjustment every time throughout the process??

No, that's not necessary.

I personally think that this can be one of those "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" things.

Commercial fertilizers are created to be effective over a range of pH values. They do this by adding buffers, chelating, and using a variety of chemicals to add a nutrient instead of just one (e.g. both calcium carbonate and calcium nitrate).

You shouldn't have to worry about that stuff too much. The scientists at the fertilizer company already have.

I've just found this on amazon India:-

The brand is called Advanced Nutrients (some of you may already know this brand)

They've got this 3 part solution and they've also got an app which will guide you with the calculation when mixing the nutrients.

This one is definitely tailor-made for cannabis because they use words like "fat buds, trichomes and terpenes"

Should I get this? (I can use my existing 3 part nute for my other plants and vegetables in my garden.. so I won't throw it away)

They've also got something called BigBud and voodoo Juice(for root development) and they've got full instructions on how to use everything...

Advanced nutrients are good. So is canna and other brands.

And I forgot to ask, should I always water my plants with nutes? Or should I use nutes every other time?

I water with nutes every time because I'm using reservoirs to water the plants.

The final 2 wewks before harvest i feed only water

I'm asking this because I've learned that sometimes there is a salt buildup in the soil when you use nutes, so I'm just trying to clear that doubt.

Plus, last time I grew, my soil was always too wet, so I would water them every 10 days!!!! And my soil was wet even then, I think it was because of the plastic pots I used, the soil wouldn't dry easily, and plus my plants weren't really absorbing the water that well...

This time I've go to make sure my soil stays aerated so I'm using perlite and I'm using fabric pots.

As an average rule of thumb, if I'm using a 5 litre pot, how much water should I use to water the pot to ensure the soil is well watered but not over watered?

I'm not that good when it comes to watering .

You should allow them to dry out before waterings. The plants will tell you when it wants more water :) i would use clean water now and then to avoid salt build-up

Sorry for no update guys, I'm flying my ass back to India in 2 days, had a great vacation and celebrated my b'day yesterday as well!!

as soon as I'm back, I'll start setting up stuff for my growbox, will post pics of the babies as well. Still waiting for my lights to arrive. So plenty of stuff to update. Hang tight, and thank for all ur support so far!!

I'm back in India, and unfortunately there is some troubling news... weather has been very gloomy, not much sunlight/heat, and my gardener has overwatered the babies... yes that's right.... my gardener... lol

Anyways now I'm back to tend to these babies, let's see what happens. They're 17 days old now, here are some pics:-
420-magazine-mobile451808530.jpg
420-magazine-mobile928482970.jpg

These landrace South Indian sativas are all growing at their own pace as of now.

Very soon I'm gonna be posting ideas on how I'm gonna design my growbox, and I will really appreciate it if you can give me ur inputs.

Thanks and Stay tuned!!

Back
Top Bottom