Squiggle Is Testing The Sylstar GL4000a: Multi Strain Grow, In A Brand New Set Up!

One day, there was this little plant called Mary-Jane ( bare with me lol ) & she wasn’t feeling too good, so she called doctor vapour pressure deficit ( doc VPD for short ) to pop over & take her temp.
Indeed, her temp was a little high so doc VPD referred to his little chart and diagnosed that the humidity was too low & lights were too bright for her to absorb moisture properly. Not transpiring as she should, so, with a little tweak, doc had the lights turned down & humidity pumped up & after a few minutes Mary felt much better & perked right up.
thanks doc VPD, you saved the day again :thumb:
Wait so is VPD just Ohm's law for cannabis?

Right! Yeah!!! :laugh: so its not just me then! We've got to sample it though..it's scientifically testing it at all stages of flowering..
Hello @Squiggle hope you are doing well today.
I'm a little late hehe but made it finally.
Love the new set up.
They really have to rethink that sticker though. :oops:
I had a room full of those clothes hangers. Big heavy ones with tracks and peddles.:rofl::laugh:
Sid Vicious. Great name for a kitty.
Smokie loves to hang out with me when I garden. He is an older kitty too.
Hopefully everything goes great.
If you get your vpd dialed in your girls will rock.
Thats what helps give mine Great colors tword the end.
But you don't have to be perfect to crank out Great girls.
I'll do my best to keep up.:thumb:
Stay safe.
Bill

Seedlings Day1
Day 6 from soaking seeds

Light
: Sylstar GL-4000a
Medium: Store bought compost.
Pot size and type: to be confirmed
Grow space: 1metre X 1metre X 2metre
Strains: 1xSour diesel. 1xStar dawg. 1xBlueberry OG. All photoperiod and 1x White widow Auto
Nutrients: liquid organic feed (if needed)
Water: Mineral, pH'd to 6.5

Howdy do folks. Thank you for calling In

Today, I'm classing these as seedlings, as they have all lost their helmets and they have their cotlydon clolydeton colytidon colyedoms.
They all have their first baby leaves open and ready for some light..the sour diseasel is the most developed.
Screenshot_20210612-144810.jpeg

I was considering using the little seeding light I always use, as I thought that beast of a light from @Sylstar would be too aggressive. Well, I was wrong. The dimming function on it is extremely sensitive and accurate. You can control it 2 watts at a time and it can dim right down to 14 watts. So :thumb: @Sylstar, I'm really happy :cheesygrinsmiley:
After reading a few articles on exactly how much light a seedling needs I found it to be around 4000 lux at 12 to 24 inches away..
Well, this is where my new toy, the Lux"O"meter came in..
I have it set at roughly 2400 lux at the moment and it's running 19 watts
Screenshot_20210612-143813.jpeg

I will push the Lux and wattage up over the next few days to just below double of what it is now.. please jump in and correct me if I'm doing something wrong...
Anyway. I will see how much they stretch and I may up the juice on the light or bring the light closer.
I use my little humidity domes as a measuring gauge. They are marked at Day 6 at the moment but it should have been day 1.
20210612_142022.jpg

I will get the vac out and hoover up the spilt soil on top of the seedling tray..
I'm proper heavy handed and keep knocking them over or dropping them.

Anyway. That's it for today. All advice would be greatly appreciated.
Take care everyone, I will catch up with all your journals tonight..

Thanks

Squiggz

Hello @Squiggle hope you are doing well today.
I'm a little late hehe but made it finally.
Love the new set up.
They really have to rethink that sticker though. :oops:
I had a room full of those clothes hangers. Big heavy ones with tracks and peddles.:rofl::laugh:
Sid Vicious. Great name for a kitty.
Smokie loves to hang out with me when I garden. He is an older kitty too.
Hopefully everything goes great.
If you get your vpd dialed in your girls will rock.
Thats what helps give mine Great colors tword the end.
But you don't have to be perfect to crank out Great girls.
I'll do my best to keep up.:thumb:
Stay safe.
Bill
Thanks Bill. It's great to have you.

I wonder how many others have those clothes hangers :laugh:
Smokie. That's a cool name. Love Smokie Robinson, I also like to have a Smokie every day too..

I've just started researching VPD, I didn't realise how important it was.i was baffled by it untill we had a simplified version of it posted, now it all makes sence. Thanks @Sticky fingaz

Don't worry about not keeping up. We all have busy lives and we have all dedicated our spare time to other journals and our own. So I do understand.
Just pop in to the last page once and a while and see how things are growing. It's more banter than planter :laugh:

Great to have you on board anyway.
Take care
Speak soon

Afternoon squiggle, beautiful day.

Is your humidity low? If not , I'd take the domes off the plants.
Please feel free to stick your middle finger up to me and disregard, I can take it.
Maybe someone else will chime in and we can get a consensus, or a gallery of middle fingers.
Looking good bud.
It is , it is.. I'm sitting in the garden. Puffing away on a sour diesel doobie off my pal.. :cheesygrinsmiley: what you up to?
Humidity is going from 40 to 50. I will certainly not stick my middle finger up. This is exactly the info I need.. so thank you.. domes are now off..
What is the ideal humidity for seedlings? Just I will dial the environment in to suit.

It is , it is.. I'm sitting in the garden. Puffing away on a sour diesel doobie of my pal.. :cheesygrinsmiley: what you up to?
Humidity is going from 40 to 50. I will certainly not stick my middle finger up. This is exactly the info I need.. so thank you.. domes are now off..
What is the ideal humidity for them ? Just I will dial the environment in to suit.
Alright bud.
I've just got back from the beach with the kids, it's just hit the burning hot time of the day, I'll leave that to the tourists.

Yeah 50 % is well alright for me, dropping below 40 it would start to be a concern. Low 30's is when I start freaking. I think the ideal is up around 70%, but ideals can be rabbit holes to chase. Everyone's working from that vpd chart now, makes things easier.

It is , it is.. I'm sitting in the garden. Puffing away on a sour diesel doobie off my pal.. :cheesygrinsmiley: what you up to?
What is the ideal humidity for seedlings? Just I will dial the environment in to suit.

I like to keep mine around 70% during seedling stage, and somewhere Slightly above 25C.

I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you're trying to do it or figure out seedling stage using VPD here's what your aiming for (copy and paste, I'm not the author):

OPTIMAL VPD DURING VEGETATIVE AND FLOWERING STAGES

1. Seedling/Clone: Seedlings and clones don’t have a developed root system, so maintain a low VPD to keep these young plants from losing too much moisture from their leaves. VPD should be between 4 to 7 millibars.

2. Vegetative: As plants grow bigger, increase VPD to 9 to 12 millibars, which will increase the flow rate of water and drive nutrients through the plant.

3. Flowering and late flowering: Continue increasing VPD up to 15 millibars as plants mature.

“The goal is to make consistent and rhythmic adjustments, rather than abrupt spikes,” Lee said. “You can play with VPD throughout the day, but plants grow their best when their environment is consistent. You want to find the happy medium.”

Alright bud.
I've just got back from the beach with the kids, it's just hit the burning hot time of the day, I'll leave that to the tourists.

Yeah 50 % is well alright for me, dropping below 40 it would start to be a concern. Low 30's is when I start freaking. I think the ideal is up around 70%, but ideals can be rabbit holes to chase. Everyone's working from that vpd chart now, makes things easier.
Ah!!! VPD chart. I'm on it. I sort of understand it now. So I will explore that avenue.
The beach? Was it crammed? I drove past Whitley bay beach before and it looked like benidorm. Not that I've ever been there, but I've seen pictures.
It was heaving. No social distancing.
As long as the kids enjoyed it, thats the main thing. Keeping them occupied..
Thanks for the info.. all ideas and suggestions are welcomed with open arms:hug:

I like to keep mine around 70% during seedling stage, and somewhere Slightly above 25C.

I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you're trying to do it or figure out seedling stage using VPD here's what your aiming for (copy and paste, I'm not the author):

OPTIMAL VPD DURING VEGETATIVE AND FLOWERING STAGES

1. Seedling/Clone: Seedlings and clones don’t have a developed root system, so maintain a low VPD to keep these young plants from losing too much moisture from their leaves. VPD should be between 4 to 7 millibars.

2. Vegetative: As plants grow bigger, increase VPD to 9 to 12 millibars, which will increase the flow rate of water and drive nutrients through the plant.

3. Flowering and late flowering: Continue increasing VPD up to 15 millibars as plants mature.

“The goal is to make consistent and rhythmic adjustments, rather than abrupt spikes,” Lee said. “You can play with VPD throughout the day, but plants grow their best when their environment is consistent. You want to find the happy medium.”
Thanks for taking the time to post that. That is the easiest description I've read. I will get that printed out and follow it.
Cool!! I'm learning new stuff. I love this forum and its members .

Thanks again mate

Squiggz

It was heaving. No social distancing.
The beach down in front of my house is a little quiet, the day trippers don't make it this far along, just mainly locals.
But I can see the main beach from my house and it is PACKED, ramo, you can't see the sand for the people. That's my worst nightmare, I don't get it, people drive down here from the city to "get away" and sit on top of each other within a couple of meter area. :hmmmm:
Each to their own I suppose.

I’m doing just the opposite. I put a Godfather OG in the soil 2 days ago (my first photo plant) . I started it inside for now in a window and will move it to the deck for growing all summer. I’m nervous it will get monster size. I normally grow autos and really like them.
@RetiredRN, I'm growing a GOG now and it will get monster size!

Howdy do GDP
I thought
The beach down in front of my house is a little quiet, the day trippers don't make it this far along, just mainly locals.
But I can see the main beach from my house and it is PACKED, ramo, you can't see the sand for the people. That's my worst nightmare, I don't get it, people drive down here from the city to "get away" and sit on top of each other within a couple of meter area. :hmmmm:
Each to their own I suppose.
It don't compute with me either.. I hate crowds.
It's time for you to sit back and relax. Hopefully the heat has worn the youngsters out..

@RetiredRN, I'm growing a GOG now and it will get monster size!
Howdy do GDB Editted

I appreciate you popping in. My notifications bell is smoking hot from you catching up :laugh:
Hope you are well and it's nice to have another well respected member following this journey..

Cheers man

Squiggz

Howdy do GDP.

I appreciate you popping in. My notifications bell is smoking hot from you catching up :laugh:
Hope you are well and it's nice to have another well respected member following this journey..

Cheers man

Squiggz
That's "GDB" to you, @Squiggle! (No wonder you can't read the numbers on your VPD thingy. BTW, I hope your cat doesn't get too attached to that gadget.)

I've been having a blast catching up this morning and I'm staying for the show. Lots of laughs here and that's always a draw for me.

Congrats on the light, despite the fact that you've turned it into the most expensive free light ever!

Quick question: How long will you let the autos go before putting in the photo(s)?

Back
Top Bottom