Steelcurtain22: Soil, GSC - 2022

I’d like to introduce the newest member of the cast, should help me out tremendously! Thanks for all the ideas LKA, I was actually boiling water and placing in two small trays as well as half a jug of hot water, works but doesn’t last too long, so constantly making trips up and down the stairs. This is a warm mist humidifier I can run steady, clean once a week and does the same but better.

C7F82AE5-AB06-4000-B81E-A7A374902C37.jpeg
Well she’s helping, currently up to 45%RH 77 degrees. So I told the wifey “this boiling water works but stairs are killing me!” She says “ what are you saying, you need a new humidifier?” I’m like “ noooo, but Canadian Tire around the corner may or may not have 17 in stock, isle 38, for $59.99, but no I’m good.” Well, you see where that led too, as I’ve said not to long ago, “ she’s a keeper!

Well she’s helping, currently up to 45%RH 77 degrees. So I told the wifey “this boiling water works but stairs are killing me!” She says “ what are you saying, you need a new humidifier?” I’m like “ noooo, but Canadian Tire around the corner may or may not have 17 in stock, isle 38, for $59.99, but no I’m good.” Well, you see where that led too, as I’ve said not to long ago, “ she’s a keeper!

Veg, day 13, So I checked the weight of the girls after both were watered. They are actually to heavy now for my scale, which stops at 500g’s. After weighting them today right after the lights went on, Laverne is now at 415g’s and Shirley is at 453’s. So what I do know is that Laverne drank more than 85g’s since 1pm yesterday and Shirley drank more than 47g’s since I’d say 9’ish last night. Looking okay but should have made sure the new humidifier reservoir was full closer to lights out as humidity was low when I opened the tent today, 28% low. Filled the reservoir and she’ll be up in no time.
So next steps is to transplant and top, when ready! Both girls are just starting the 5th node’s, so my first question is to top before or after transplanting? I’ve read, transplant, wait few days then top, but also read, transplant and top pretty much same time? Love to hear some preferences or opinions on this. Also, I’ve had my 3g pots filled with same soil (Pro-Mix BX) sitting in my grow room ready to go. Should I water the soil prior to the transplant, if so how much, and assuming I can use the water they got fed from as I have enough leftover after watering? Happy Saturday all!

EB36AB68-6443-4CCE-B135-925BCB361224.jpeg

00F371E5-21CD-49C4-834B-7572B6B6B9FD.jpeg

So sitting here watching my Leafs, I know, poor fella, and rolling a joint as I do. I remember back years ago when being with a buddy who organized a small cannabis cup type deal with some friends, think it was like eight or ten guys who grew. They had different categories like best over buds, stickiest bud, and my fav was the joint rolling and smoking event. One at a time, eight or ten times a joint was judged and passed around. One way they judged the roll was by the glue line being straight and even end to end, crazy high times. From then on I’ve always enjoyed smoking by way of joints, I know, many ways especially these days but still like my dubbie’s! I like the process I go through, take pride in trying to roll the perfect joint every time. Rolled and smoked this earlier and think it’s one of my best! I use my wife’s empty cigarette packs to make cardboard filters. Have it Down to a science really, but this one impressed me, could be the smoke though, lol. Anyone following who likes the look of a good joint, spliff, blunt…wanna show off a rolled with pride, by all means, love to see!

752EAF0E-4959-45BC-92F7-06C37BA3784C.jpeg

6A39A728-DA7F-4F26-B517-57747FE1E999.jpeg

289BE973-B3D1-46C8-99A0-0814E68B4C67.jpeg

So sitting here watching my Leafs, I know, poor fella, and rolling a joint as I do. I remember back years ago when being with a buddy who organized a small cannabis cup type deal with some friends, think it was like eight or ten guys who grew. They had different categories like best over buds, stickiest bud, and my fav was the joint rolling and smoking event. One at a time, eight or ten times a joint was judged and passed around. One way they judged the roll was by the glue line being straight and even end to end, crazy high times. From then on I’ve always enjoyed smoking by way of joints, I know, many ways especially these days but still like my dubbie’s! I like the process I go through, take pride in trying to roll the perfect joint every time. Rolled and smoked this earlier and think it’s one of my best! I use my wife’s empty cigarette packs to make cardboard filters. Have it Down to a science really, but this one impressed me, could be the smoke though, lol. Anyone following who likes the look of a good joint, spliff, blunt…wanna show off a rolled with pride, by all means, love to see!

752EAF0E-4959-45BC-92F7-06C37BA3784C.jpeg

6A39A728-DA7F-4F26-B517-57747FE1E999.jpeg

289BE973-B3D1-46C8-99A0-0814E68B4C67.jpeg
Had some practice with that i see

so my first question is to top before or after transplanting? I’ve read, transplant, wait few days then top, but also read, transplant and top pretty much same time? Love to hear some preferences or opinions on this. Also, I’ve had my 3g pots filled with same soil (Pro-Mix BX) sitting in my grow room ready to go. Should I water the soil prior to the transplant, if so how much, and assuming I can use the water they got fed from as I have enough leftover after watering?
it matters not in which order you are doing this. I always top while still in the solo cup because of my requirement that the plant can drain all of the water in 24-36 hours before transplanting. I would rather my soil be fairly dry at the time of transplant. When I transplant, I carefully build my new containers by first putting some supersoil on the bottom, up to whatever level is going to let my transplant be at the right height. Then I put a layer of myco fungi and stick my rootball in there. Then I carefully fill in the container with my medium grade soil (a mix from the last few grows). At the midpoint I am likely to put in a layer of wormcastings, about 1/4 inch thick, before adding in more soil... and I might do this a couple of times as I build the soil up to the top and pack it down a bit as I go. At this point, it is time to water the entire new container to runoff, and then a couple of hours later, doing it again, just to make sure that the two soil regions are able to merge all through the container. You can use your leftover water, but beware that nutes sitting out in water are never quite the same after sitting for a day or more.

By the way, nice joint! I too prefer a big fattie! I have a theory that women, being the designated joint rollers in many families, tend to roll the best joints. #GirlPower!
So I transplanted Laverne as she was ready. I have in 3g final pots and just gave her 3l of newly done water. How roughly should she take in?

59EAA9FC-7F1D-426F-B324-8D117D639507.jpeg

939193F7-0EF2-48C9-9886-08CDFDE53FD8.jpeg

So I transplanted Laverne as she was ready. I have in 3g final pots and just gave her 3l of newly done water. How roughly should she take in?

59EAA9FC-7F1D-426F-B324-8D117D639507.jpeg

939193F7-0EF2-48C9-9886-08CDFDE53FD8.jpeg
That is not your decision to make. Let your plants and your container of soil tell you how much it needs. Water just to the point of runoff, twice. That is how much water it takes.
Think about this... this sets a baseline. Now you can be consistent every time and water to just the amount that the system, the soil and the plant together, can use. This number will change as the roots get stronger, but that doesn't matter. Your standard is how much water the system can take.
Then, the only variable for you is how long does it take to use all of that water? This number will get smaller with every complete watering cycle, and when it gets down to 24-36 hours the first time, your soil has ceased to be a proper buffer and your roots have reached the point of diminishing return... it is time to uppot and start this wet/dry cycle again.

Now learn the lift the pot method. Even if it takes a week this first time, do not water fully to runoff again. Every 3 or 4 days give her a small amount of water, not much at all really, all around the outer edges of the container. This will entice roots to grow laterally, toward the water, filling the container with roots. Before you water to saturation (runoff) again, make her earn it, make her use up all of that water in the bottom of the container. If you lift it and can feel water weight, it is NOT time to fully water.
If you can get through a full wet/dry cycle, you will force her to grow new roots, and the next wet/dry cycle will not take nearly as long. The more dry you make her go, the faster this will happen.

That is not your decision to make. Let your plants and your container of soil tell you how much it needs. Water just to the point of runoff, twice. That is how much water it takes.
Think about this... this sets a baseline. Now you can be consistent every time and water to just the amount that the system, the soil and the plant together, can use. This number will change as the roots get stronger, but that doesn't matter. Your standard is how much water can the system take.
Then, the only variable for you is how long does it take to use all of that water? This number will get smaller with every complete watering cycle, and when it gets down to 24-36 hours the first time, your soil has ceased to be a proper buffer and your roots have reached the point of diminishing return... it is time to uppot and start this wet/dry cycle again.
Thank you, as mentioned runoff started at full 4L’s, just letting it run off, we I’ll do later again and wet/dry cycle it is! So I liked weighing for water intake with first pots, can dial in. I knew Laverne was ready as she hit 247g’s and lift wise was ready. Shirley was still at 286g’s so will transplant her when she’s down to 250’ish. Great way to know when to water really, just can only do until transplant, but will do in future grows now, thx again Emilya! :)

Now learn the lift the pot method. Even if it takes a week this first time, do not water fully to runoff again. Every 3 or 4 days give her a small amount of water, not much at all really, all around the outer edges of the container. This will entice roots to grow laterally, toward the water, filling the container with roots. Before you water to saturation (runoff) again, make her earn it, make her use up all of that water in the bottom of the container. If you lift it and can feel water weight, it is NOT time to fully water.
If you can get through a full wet/dry cycle, you will force her to grow new roots, and the next wet/dry cycle will not take nearly as long. The more dry you make her go, the faster this will happen.
I have done this last two grows so very familiar with lift at this stage as you really have to be for every reason you already know, lol.

Veg, day 14, Big day, so both Laverne & Shirley are in their final homes , watered and all tidied up! Lights are Veg-75% and 24 inches above the tops of the plants with 77-78 degrees with and RH of 45-50%. Next is too top them but will let them settle into their final homes first. Time to roll another and relax a bit, happy Sunday all!

6E26FCBD-272C-4C05-BAD0-89CB1744E90A.jpeg

6CC1BE92-13B6-4741-AFFD-A718A6DBB4A9.jpeg

By the way, nice joint! I too prefer a big fattie! I have a theory that women, being the designated joint rollers in many families, tend to roll the best joints. #GirlPower!
Sorry forgot to reply! Thanks, I never really rolled a lot until my first marriage, then I became the designated roller, lol. As for girlpower, I can respect that but kinda disagree as ima guy, bahahaha, Terry is with a ‘y’ not ‘I’ so…manpower!!! Hehe :) :)

So forgot to mention the somewhat of an issue I’m finding with the PH Perfect Advanced Nutrients bottles they use which are new or different from my last ones. Problem is they don’t seal tightly, so as you shake or try too, liquid comes out from under the cap which is as tight as it can go. So then I think we’ll is it good for them to constantly be subject to air and not being completely sealed each time and I also have to be careful shaking before using as directed or else ot goes all over? Here’s a pic showing my having to use plastic as well. I’m going to email off the pic with same info too them, see what they say.

77C750B8-5CD5-49EC-AC73-8F7E4F123CE5.jpeg

So forgot to mention the somewhat of an issue I’m finding with the PH Perfect Advanced Nutrients bottles they use which are new or different from my last ones. Problem is they don’t seal tightly, so as you shake or try to, liquid comes out from under the cap on as tight as can. So then I think we’ll is it good for them to constantly be subject to air and not being completely sealed each time and I have to be careful shaking before using as directed or else ot goes all over? Here’s a pic showing my having to use plastic as well. I’m going to email off the pic with same info too them, see what they say.

77C750B8-5CD5-49EC-AC73-8F7E4F123CE5.jpeg
I had the same issues with mine.

Back
Top Bottom