Lighting question?

steelcurtain22

So I’m starting my next grow but first time with new light. Light is the Mixjoy GL 2000s, has dimmer on phone app which is great! I’ve not used before so should o only use veg setting for veg what percentage, or all and if so what percentage? Currently I’ve set it at All lights 60% and gives a good temperature and not warm, have an 8’ fan directed at the driver.

Question would be, what is the size of enclosure and what are we growing today? Are we LST, SCROG, topping or just growing wild... :Rasta:Lets also wonder if we're growing an auto or photoperiod strain.
Here's Bill's view on lights. If your not running at 100%, why did you buy that large of light to begin with? Dual settings for veg/flower... Flower settings usually run hotter, a lot hotter so be ready for the increased heat but cross that bridge when you get there.
Why are you blowing a fan on the driver? A greater concern should be to remove the heat from the enclosure, not spreading it around.
Turn that light up. Stay between 18"-20" during veg. Move that fan to the lower levels of the tent moving air around the lower canopy, not on a driver that's was supposedly designed not to have a fan in the first place. Figure out a plan for when you turn on that flowering setting. If you have the space to do a positive flow system with both an intake and an exhaust that's the way to go. Since I went to dual 8" let's been a breeze....
Good luck and sail on brother :hookah:

Question would be, what is the size of enclosure and what are we growing today? Are we LST, SCROG, topping or just growing wild... :Rasta:Lets also wonder if we're growing an auto or photoperiod strain.
Here's Bill's view on lights. If your not running at 100%, why did you buy that large of light to begin with? Dual settings for veg/flower... Flower settings usually run hotter, a lot hotter so be ready for the increased heat but cross that bridge when you get there.
Why are you blowing a fan on the driver? A greater concern should be to remove the heat from the enclosure, not spreading it around.
Turn that light up. Stay between 18"-20" during veg. Move that fan to the lower levels of the tent moving air around the lower canopy, not on a driver that's was supposedly designed not to have a fan in the first place. Figure out a plan for when you turn on that flowering setting. If you have the space to do a positive flow system with both an intake and an exhaust that's the way to go. Since I went to dual 8" let's been a breeze....
Good luck and sail on brother :hookah:
Sorry , shoulda been clear, I have and 8’ fan hanging half way up tent (which is a 4X4) and blows towards top of light but not hard or directly on driver, also have an oscillating fan and a 6’ fan at back corner facing lower part of tent, here’s a pic of set up which I’ve already used just different light. I just started a journal in “Journal’s in Progress section”

26DFA82D-5918-4884-AB3E-DBA668803677.jpeg

If you run your light at 100% on a seedling you will probably kill it. A seedling only requires 30,000 Lux where a plant in late Flower requires about 65,000 Lux. You can give a plant too much light & stunt it's growth. I'd run Veg & Bloom together at 60% & increase by 5% per week until you get to 100%. I've got 4 seedlings under a 100 watt Spider Farmer & it's plenty enough light for a seedling.

If you run your light at 100% on a seedling you will probably kill it. A seedling only requires 30,000 Lux where a plant in late Flower requires about 65,000 Lux. You can give a plant too much light & stunt it's growth. I'd run Veg & Bloom together at 60% & increase by 5% per week until you get to 100%. I've got 4 seedlings under a 100 watt Spider Farmer & it's plenty enough light for a seedling.
Thanks for the great info man, I have it at 60% ALL light now so will do what you’ve said. Cheers!

Wow, that's interesting. Do you or can you refer me to the study that you are quoting? I've seen similar studies but the point in question while reading them was the "required" stats. The example is I only require 3k to get by a month but life's better at 6k... That's the problem. Often the lumens are listed as minimal requirement in those cases, while not quoting optimal parameters. It's my opinion that most of the budget lights on the market have their numbers skewed to make them more appealing in the first place. I doubt the lumens off that light are sufficient to damage a seedling. If you could could you please forward me some documentation on this it would be great. Knowledge is power...

Here's a few sources you can check out.
From the RQS website:
HOW MUCH LIGHT DO YOUR CANNABIS PLANTS REQUIRE?
  • Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux
There's a ton of info in this journal taken from magazines, books & the web.
Come Grow With Me

You can also check out Dr. Bruce Bugsby videos on the tube.

Lots of info on it out there.

I hear what you're saying about required & optimal lighting. I've had pretty nice grows following those guidelines though. Not saying I couldn't optimize things some. I'm sure I could. But I'm a home grower & only grow up to 5 plants at a time so I don't feel it's necessary for me. But if you want to know all the technical / scientific stuff of about lighting please watch the Bruce Bugby videos. Shit he teaches is amazing.

If your leaves are pointing upward slightly your light is in a good spot. That's all you really have to do. You may have to raise or lower your light or just adjust the dimmer switch to accomplish it. But that's all I usually do. I don't usually use a meter either. But since I have one I thought I'd try it out & see what it reads.
Never the less, you got some good resources for later down the line in your grows.

If your leaves are pointing upward slightly your light is in a good spot. That's all you really have to do. You may have to raise or lower your light or just adjust the dimmer switch to accomplish it. But that's all I usually do. I don't usually use a meter either. But since I have one I thought I'd try it out & see what it reads.
Never the less, you got some good resources for later down the line in your grows.
Appreciate the info man, thx kindly, will keep for references!

I start seedlings out with a 10w LED desk bulb inna desk lamp under a dome

When the seedling has its first set of true leaves, I start gathering my solo cups.

Then in a few days transplant into solo cups and sometimes back under the dome and other times I put in under regular lighting for my VEG plants. BUT my VEG lamps are a good 20"-30" above those new seedlings.

After the roots are coming out the btm of the solo cup (I cut an X in the btm) then its time for a proper VEG pot. I then up - can with proper soil into say a 3 gal pot sometimes only a 1 gal depending on my mood. If I go to 1 gal I will later up-can to a 3 gal.

Then once my VEG plants are in a larger container with several sets of leaves they get a little more lighting. I never dim my lamps. I veg with about 600w in a 5x5 very similar to flowering lighting just the VEG lights are higher up away from the canopy.

Once I'm ready to go into flower (full moon) they get up-canned to final containers and into the flower room with about 700w per 5x5 footprint and far red along with the normal lighting. I dont use far red in VEG. Its not required.

How about following the manufacturer's recommendations?

If you got to this page and look at the very last image in the column of images on the right side of the page, you will see that they're giving information about hang height and intensity. It's not a clear image but it looks like, for seedlings, they're recommending 18" to 24" hang height, 18/6 for your lighting schedule, and 50 - 75% for intensity.

Re. lighting spectrum - if you're in veg, use veg. If you're in flower, use flower. During seedling and veg, blue light is typically used to keep the plant short and bushy. Once you move into flower, the favored spectrum is red-heavy. Bugbee and others discuss this at length.

How about following the manufacturer's recommendations?

If you got to this page and look at the very last image in the column of images on the right side of the page, you will see that they're giving information about hang height and intensity. It's not a clear image but it looks like, for seedlings, they're recommending 18" to 24" hang height, 18/6 for your lighting schedule, and 50 - 75% for intensity.

Re. lighting spectrum - if you're in veg, use veg. If you're in flower, use flower. During seedling and veg, blue light is typically used to keep the plant short and bushy. Once you move into flower, the favored spectrum is red-heavy. Bugbee and others discuss this at length.
Your absolutely right and was able to zoom in and read it. Lights are at recommended height now, thx though.

Back
Top Bottom